Author Topic: New Gleason's class opening up  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
New Gleason's class opening up
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »
As of this Saturday I am opening a new freerunning class at Gleason's.  It will be a pay as you go style class just like the other Saturday class and will be from 10:30 am to noon.  The only difference with this class is that I am not allowing brand new students to come in to it.  First classes have to be done at the 2:30 pm to 4:00 class instead.  This way we don't always have to go through all the basic stuff for new students every week.  If anyone wants any more information, just ask!

Offline Harry Smith

• What's up Andrew?
  • Patas
    • View Profile
Re: New Gleason's class opening up
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:16:47 PM »
YESSSSSS!!!! No more basics! Nothing wrong with it just starting to get tediously boring after a while. ::)

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:40:23 AM »
How much is this class, and is it still going? Is the starter course the same price? I've got 11 months of training under my belt, but it's all been done from internet tutorials etc. I'd like to get a basics course in first to make sure I'm doing it right in person (critique videos only get you so far, you know?).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:42:03 AM by Mitchell Lewis »
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
The Saturday pay-as-you-go style classes are $25 per class.  Your first class will still have to be in the 2:30-4:00 class even though I'm sure you'll pick up on the stuff really quick I just need to get you knowing all the terms that I use and the structure of the class before going to a 10:30 to noon class.  I do give a $10 discount for your first class so you can come in and try it out to see if you like it.  And I also sell punch cards so you can buy 5 classes and get the sixth one free.

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:25:58 AM »
Again, thanks for the class yesterday. I'm sore all over, and it's a great feeling. I would say learning two new vaults and a take-off (attempted take-off anyway, lol) in a mere hour and a half in addition to the safety guidance was well worth the money. I'll definitely be back.
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

Offline Missa Simmer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:34:58 PM »
Hey! I know I've been away for a while, so would I have to go to the afternoon class again before jumping back into the saturday ones?

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »
No, you'ld be fine to come to the morning ones if you wanted.  The one afternoon class first thing is just to be able to get through all the really basic safety type stuff.  You already know all that.

Offline Missa Simmer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »
that's good! barring some catastrophe, I'll be there this saturday then.

Offline andrew w.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • While you rest, others are out training.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »
just going to point this out, but doesnt it make sense to have basics in the morning and advanced in the afte noon so that you can go to both in one day not basics one week then advanced next week. sure youll be tired but it would be good conditioning anyway.
If you are in front of a wall that you cannot get passed, would you just keep banging your head into the wall?… No, you would find a new wall.

We are Traceurs, and we will prevail. Parkour is not just a way of life. Parkour is life

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
Well, for one, you usually don't want to mix conditioning with training, especially when you are first learning because as you get more tired, you get more sloppy.  And if you are going to the basics class, then you probably shouldn't go to the advance class as well.  There is no need to rush to get good.  Take it all slow and you'll be better in the long run.  If you've been training for two years, I'm sure you would be able to go to the advance class just fine. 
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 10:44:25 PM »
Actually neither of the classes is "advanced."  Both classes are the same, but every time I have a new student we have to go through 15-20 minutes of learning proper landing, rolling, and the five basic vaults.  I opened the morning class so we wouldn't have to do this every week and we could get straight to the lesson of the day faster.  You are not meant to take both classes in one day as they are pretty much the same class.

Offline andrew w.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 01:09:52 PM »
well i should be there this saturday aand will probobly bring a friend.
If you are in front of a wall that you cannot get passed, would you just keep banging your head into the wall?… No, you would find a new wall.

We are Traceurs, and we will prevail. Parkour is not just a way of life. Parkour is life

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:28:01 AM »
This saturday is actually going to be a little weird because there's a meet going on in the gym and they want us to do a demo.  So if this is your first time I recommend you wait until next saturday or come to the early class even though you are new. 

Offline andrew w.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »
i want to go to the early class but what are the five basic vaults?i probobly know them but, i dont want to waste your time.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »
Oh feel free to come to the early class if you can, no one has shown up for the past couple weeks anyway so you may just get a private lesson and we can go over everything you'll need

Offline andrew w.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
sweet. ;D

Offline andrew w.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
thanks much for the lesson, it was amazing and a great work out. and it gave me some flow drills to practice a home, the reverse speed vault is kind difficult on tall stuff though.

John Amos

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »
Is this clss at the Eagan location?

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
The classes change every summer and fall (basically we follow the public school schedule).  You can always find info on when the classes are at www.gleasons.com

Here's the link directly to the freerunning schedule for this fall... https://secure.gleasons.com/4dcgi/1/class_manager.a4d?loc=E

Offline woodsykris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 05:01:42 AM »
Regarding the Tuesday and Wednesday beginner classes, is it meant to be progressive each week, building on the last?  The reason I am asking is because I live in Iowa and the only gym I can find that teaches parkour has an upper age limit of 25 for insurance purposes (I'm working on them to change that).  Is it possible then, to come up sometime say, in mid-September for a single tues/wed combo, or would I have missed too many lessons?  Thanks.