Author Topic: Un-tamed  (Read 8376 times)

naturalninja

Un-tamed
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »
http://untamedlife.com/index.php

its really definately worth a look, tell me what you think:)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Un-tamed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
I find him a bit depressing and pessimistic. I don't think "domestication" is the central problem of humans. I think it's a symptom.

What do I agree with? We have unique genetic make-up, learned thinking and learned emotional responses. Our minds and hearts are messed up. Some of our ideas and ways of coping are outdated, and don't work. This causes mental, emotional and physical "disease".

Do we need to change our ways of thinking? Yes. Do we need to change our emotional responses? Yes.
Do people take advantage of other people's "disease"? Yes.

Let's say Roxy is an untrained dog. She eats Ozzi's burger, poops on his shoes, attacks his friends, and runs off into traffic. Can Ozzi trust her? No. He has to cage Roxy to protect his burger, his shoes, his friends, and Roxy herself. He's going to be pissed off a lot.
  If Roxy is well trained, she will only eat Ozzi's burger if he offers it, she'll poop outdoors, she won't attack his friends, but will growl or bark if strangers come, and may attack if they threaten Ozzi. He won't have to keep her caged or on a leash. He can teach her how to climb trees. He can bring her to the beach, swim with her, play, train parkour...

People are similar. If you eat my burger, poop on my shoes, attack my friends, and run off into traffic... I'm not going to trust you. If you've got a decent amount of training, I'll be happy to have you around, and we can be friends.

My 2 cents...

naturalninja

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:35 AM »
ah yes but is roxy horribly depressed? (

btw this is just a metaphor, i dont actually know anything about domesticated dogs, the ones ive met seem real happy:)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »
Roxy isn't depressed. No cell phone bill, no pc crashing, no hours of watching mind-numbing television. She's a movie star, dahling... ;D

naturalninja

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
lol:D it was a metaphor for humans human beings

dahling ;D

Offline Stacie

• Patas
  • Holy [insert witty word or phrase here], Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »
I think we humans need a balance. Allow ourselves to acknowledge our inner animal, cater to it, while still adapting to modern life as much as we need to. Yes, it is good to remain as natural as our lives allow. But we can't simply throw away everything about one thing. There are positives and negatives to everything. Take the good, learn from the bad (learn from both, really) and continue to survive and thrive. Yeah, we're becoming more of a mental species..a small fault...people do need to realize that we must cater to our bodies as well as our minds. Be physically fit/active and be intelligent. Be modern and primitive where it suits us best. Learn how to TRULY adapt without sacrificing who we are. ;)
"Do NOT...eat that. It is a poisonous...magicpie!"

naturalninja

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:21:48 AM »
hmm yea indeed, i think thats what Le Corre thinks kinda

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:32 AM »
With mental and physical health and fitness being so strongly interconnected, it would be a travesty to deny either of them the nourishment it needs.

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:19:28 AM »

Humans have domesticaded themselves. And I have seen much more harm then good.

IMO  domestication has caused:

depression
 obesity
 mental disorders
 reverse evolution(?) being that we favor the weak, build laws to protect them, which allows them to reproduce and thrive.
 As well as a disconect from the natural enviroment.

Without trying to turn this into a religous arguement. The fact that we are so disconect from the naturual world, like what we eat. Look at cows. Some never move for thier entire life, only eating corn which isnt part of thier diet...  Chickens  live 1000+ in a "chicken house" Never seeing light. Some so "altered" thy can only walk a couple steps..... Wonder why all these things are starting to "taste like chicken"? maybe its becouse they (and we) are loosing are soul.

Why else do you feel so refreshed when we climb, play, sleep under the sky, stars and trees?

naturalninja

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
we favor the weak, build laws to protect them, which allows them to reproduce and thrive.

strength lives more in your heart than in you muscles, people are not weak, just different

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »

Ninja:

I never said where their strength was lacking.... only that it was and IMO the processes of self domestication is only making  us weaker. 

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »
Yes, we have an immense inner strength, but we deny ourselves far too much by neglecting our bodies...and when our bodies are weak, our minds cannot reach their full potential. And vice versa.

turtlekarma

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 07:36:03 PM »
strength lives more in your heart than in you muscles, people are not weak, just different

maybe not people, but your typical american  ;D 

strength is more about after the fact IMO, meaning what do you do if you fail or succeed.

naturalninja

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:23 AM »
Ninja:

I never said where their strength was lacking.... only that it was and IMO the processes of self domestication is only making  us weaker. 

well pysically yes, but we are getting better (stronger) at maths, art, etc, i dont see hoe we protect the weak at all?or why it is really that bad?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:39:51 PM »
  Humans have domesticaded themselves. And I have seen much more harm then good.

IMO  domestication has caused:

depression
 obesity
 mental disorders
 reverse evolution(?) being that we favor the weak, build laws to protect them, which allows them to reproduce and thrive.
 As well as a disconect from the natural enviroment.

Without trying to turn this into a religous arguement. The fact that we are so disconect from the naturual world, like what we eat. Look at cows. Some never move for thier entire life, only eating corn which isnt part of thier diet...  Chickens  live 1000+ in a "chicken house" Never seeing light. Some so "altered" thy can only walk a couple steps..... Wonder why all these things are starting to "taste like chicken"? maybe its becouse they (and we) are loosing are soul.

Why else do you feel so refreshed when we climb, play, sleep under the sky, stars and trees?

I so agree...

well pysically yes, but we are getting better (stronger) at maths, art, etc, i dont see hoe we protect the weak at all?or why it is really that bad?

We are physically devolving, becoming a weaker and slower pray, yes our intellect is growing, well kinda, there were more "geniuses" in the pass that there are not (population to quantity ration) math and art are not survival skills... even science is getting stupider at times trying to come up with things like how to regrow hair or make you "you know what" bigger or how to lose weight without any kind of physical exercise, I find that pathetic if you ask me... but I guess no one did.

The reason he says we protect the weak is because in the pass if you were weak, you simple didnt make it, didnt reproduce and those gene werent pas upon generations after generations, therefor not making any impact on the society. Now when we get a newborn with some malformation we try our best to make it survive, because we feel bad about them, then they reproduce, passing on whatever malformation they have maybe not to the immediate next generation but then next. We are definitely becoming weaker in the physical level, and in terms of intellect it is less, much less the percentage of people who are actually smarted in comparison with how it used to be in the pass.

We have way to many unnecessary and brain killing distraction that keep us from asking questions, looking at the stars, studying nature, reading books or writing our own thoughts. This is way to long of a subject and I will not get into it really.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »
Well said, Ozzi. But I have to make one point regarding the protection of "the weak." Other species do it as well. They will protect their young, sick, injured, malformed with as much force as required. In fact, not all defects, sicknesses, etc are genetic. What I'm saying is humans aren't the only species that have an emotional connection to their own. It's not simply about surviving. It's about thriving. Even the weaker ones have something to contribute to others.

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
Well said, Ozzi. But I have to make one point regarding the protection of "the weak." Other species do it as well. They will protect their young, sick, injured, malformed with as much force as required. In fact, not all defects, sicknesses, etc are genetic. What I'm saying is humans aren't the only species that have an emotional connection to their own. It's not simply about surviving. It's about thriving. Even the weaker ones have something to contribute to others.

sure buffalo  and a few other herbavoris animals will protect the sick and elderly, but not often.  Protecting the young is a given. 
 But  What animal will allow its pack leader to be Stupider, or weaker than itself?  There is a reason why only the strongest will bread and eat first.

humans are the "animal" that break this common sense.  Why should rules be made so that just becouse  scrawney johnny  who was born rich gets to reproduce more ( materialistic females com in the dozens), Eat more ( usually not healthier tho)  and are respected more in society.   

we as humans protect and even advocates the weak,

to continue with Scrawney Johnny,  lets say mr SJ  comes up to me , tells me im a pizzASHIT   a whorcicle  and what not... Im not allowed to do anthing to him. If I did I would risk jail time and job loss.

SJ  would NEVER come up to someone and say that. If he knew there would be reprocusions.. 

But wait!! " wouldnt there be chaos, death and distruction then?"

NO!! there would not be chaos. the natural order of law would take effect. Do Dolphins, lions, bears, antelope, Ants,hippos, crocodiles live in chaos? 

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »
   sure buffalo  and a few other herbavoris animals will protect the sick and elderly, but not often.  Protecting the young is a given. 
 But  What animal will allow its pack leader to be Stupider, or weaker than itself?  There is a reason why only the strongest will bread and eat first.

humans are the "animal" that break this common sense.  Why should rules be made so that just becouse  scrawney johnny  who was born rich gets to reproduce more ( materialistic females com in the dozens), Eat more ( usually not healthier tho)  and are respected more in society.   

we as humans protect and even advocates the weak,

to continue with Scrawney Johnny,  lets say mr SJ  comes up to me , tells me im a pizzASHIT   a whorcicle  and what not... Im not allowed to do anthing to him. If I did I would risk jail time and job loss.

SJ  would NEVER come up to someone and say that. If he knew there would be reprocusions.. 

But wait!! " wouldnt there be chaos, death and distruction then?"

NO!! there would not be chaos. the natural order of law would take effect. Do Dolphins, lions, bears, antelope, Ants,hippos, crocodiles live in chaos? 

Nuff said....

And then, if you are afraid of chaois, then you must not be the alpha of your group.

Animal will protect their young over anything else... what about the injured... well.. they just hope it can catch up, might just help by licking the wounds and in some cases as Derek mentioned above (buffalos) might stay aroudn until the threat is gone, but that is about it. malformed? No animal will carry it around just so it can make it... as long as an animal can move, they will stay together but no many will go out of their way to make it happen.

Ill quote D.

"There is a reason why only the strongest will bread and eat first. "

So that the strongest can remind to be it... and pass on whatever is needed.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 12:06:49 AM »
I read that as "The strongest will eat bread first." ;D
I wish I could ask your opinions on "survival of the fittest" in 25-30 years.
You'll find out. >:D

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
I so agree...

We are physically devolving, becoming a weaker and slower pray, yes our intellect is growing, well kinda, there were more "geniuses" in the pass that there are not (population to quantity ration) math and art are not survival skills... even science is getting stupider at times trying to come up with things like how to regrow hair or make you "you know what" bigger or how to lose weight without any kind of physical exercise, I find that pathetic if you ask me... but I guess no one did.

The reason he says we protect the weak is because in the pass if you were weak, you simple didnt make it, didnt reproduce and those gene werent pas upon generations after generations, therefor not making any impact on the society. Now when we get a newborn with some malformation we try our best to make it survive, because we feel bad about them, then they reproduce, passing on whatever malformation they have maybe not to the immediate next generation but then next. We are definitely becoming weaker in the physical level, and in terms of intellect it is less, much less the percentage of people who are actually smarted in comparison with how it used to be in the pass.

We have way to many unnecessary and brain killing distraction that keep us from asking questions, looking at the stars, studying nature, reading books or writing our own thoughts. This is way to long of a subject and I will not get into it really.

great minds think alike.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.