Author Topic: Learning Progression  (Read 1424 times)

4sunn24

Learning Progression
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »
I know there isn't a definite learning time, but I'm just interested to know how long it took for you guys to learn these tricks

Roll
Jump to Roll
Frontflip
Backflip
Cartwheel
Reverse Vault
Speed Vault
Kong Vault
Aerial
Wall Run
Cat Leap
Tic Tac
Wallspin
Palmspin

I'd like to have as many people post their learning times :D Thanks!

turtlekarma

Re: Learning Progression
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:20:25 AM »
still learning all of them...always will be, I've yet to see CONSISTENT perfect techniques from anyone.  Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, go at your own pace...there's no bonus points for getting you're stuff down fast. 

Offline V ninja

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:07 AM »
i already knew alot of stuff. ive been doing parkour for a few years n didnt know it. lol. but the kong vault is still getting me!!! i cnt put my STUPID KNEES up to my STUPID CHEST long enuf to get em through my arms n out the other side! >:(
guns dont kill ppl, ninjas kill guns

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:51:06 AM »
i already knew alot of stuff. ive been doing parkour for a few years n didnt know it. lol. but the kong vault is still getting me!!! i cnt put my STUPID KNEES up to my STUPID CHEST long enuf to get em through my arms n out the other side! >:(

Try this kong progression video. It show each of the steps to doing a successful kong.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 06:32:45 AM »
still learning all of them...always will be, I've yet to see CONSISTENT perfect techniques from anyone.  Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, go at your own pace...there's no bonus points for getting you're stuff down fast. 

Very true, because we are all still learning. But as for being able to do them? ill start listing, but keep in mind, i'm still learning.:

Roll - 1 day (at the gym)
Jump to Roll - 5 days
Frontflip - 2 weeks
Backflip - Cant do
Cartwheel - Always been able to do a cartwheel, but one hand, took me a good day of training.
Reverse Vault - Mine are sketchy landings, but it took 3 days
Speed Vault - 2 days
Kong Vault - Oh man, at least 6 weeks.. idk why either hahaha
Aerial - 2 weeks, still having trouble with it
Wall Run - Cant do
Cat Leap - 1 week, but its hard to decifer because each cat leap is different.
Tic Tac - 2 days
Wallspin - Cant do
Palmspin - 1 day

In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

4sunn24

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »
I know you are supposed to go at your own pace and everything, but I still want to know how long it took you guys.

matcauthon12

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:20:35 AM »
To get all those movements comfortably? Maybe a little more than a year. I still don't like rolling with no shirt on some kinds of rough cement, and you'll find that all the aspects of your movement will improve in direct correlation to the amount of time you train them.

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:11:16 PM »
ok lets see..

Roll-already knew how from martial arts experience
Jump to Roll-same as before
Frontflip-havent learned yet
Backflip-havent learned yet
Cartwheel-knew how to do it since i was like 5 (easy stuff) (one hand took a couple of tries but overall very easy)
Reverse Vault-not yet
Speed Vault-3-4 weeks
Kong Vault-3-4 weeks
Aerial-not yet
Wall Run-previous martial arts experience
Cat Leap-not yet
Tic Tac-um did it a long time ago before i got into parkour but havent done it since (M.A. exp)
Wallspin-not yet
Palmspin-taking a while..
started Parkour at DEC 13, 2009

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »
A couple months ago I would've taken this more seriously but there's something you should realize. It doesn't matter when you learn these moves because 1. You'll most likely learn how to do all of these moves eventually because just executing these moves is easy 2. These techniques are meant to be built off of and mastered. Who cares if you learned to speed vault before someone else if you're speed vaulting a pile of cushions and they're doing speed vaults to cat hangs.
It'll all start becoming clearer when you've learned many of the moves and are focused on applying these moves in increasingly difficult and challenging situations.
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

Offline Casey Boatwright

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 06:13:45 PM »

it sounds like you're trying more of a kash than a kong,  because a kong your legs trail behind you the whole way and never go through your arms.
You live a filtered life.-
Everyone dreams of changing the world, I only want to change it back.-
In Myth, God Is Force.