Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Rahontsiiostha

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Beginner
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »
Hello all,
  I am a student at American University in the DC-metro area and have become interested in Parkour. wondering if there is any advice you could give me as far as training or finding groups to train with? Also, I am a pretty short guy (5' 6), is that an issue or should I be ok?

Thanks

Offline Pilou

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »
Hi! Welcome to the DC area, there's a lot of stuff going on around here :)

A few good things to know:
- most of the Parkour gatherings are advertised on the DC metro Parkour (dcmetroparkour.info) website, as well as this forum,
- there is a Parkour gym, Primal Fitness, that offers all sorts of classes to get started safely and efficiently (primal-fitness.com),
- there's regular gatherings to train on weekdays and usually a jam on the weekend,
- the next planned jam is this coming Wednesday in Silver Spring, and it's a great time to meet people right away!!

With regard to size, everyone has different body size, shape, strengths and weaknesses. Some things will be harder for you and some will be easier, same as everyone else, so no worries!!

Offline Rahontsiiostha

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:53:03 PM »
Awesome. I figured DC should already have some kind of Parkour community considering its size.

I will definitely be there on wednesday and might be able to bring my brother.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:46:44 AM by Rahontsiiostha »

Offline Jon Hurst

• Patas
  • cuerpo fuerte, mente sano
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
The DC area has one of the oldest, largest, and most well-established parkour communities in the entire country. Besides all that stuff that Pilou said, one of the largest jams in the country happens here every year on Memorial Day weekend (think 100-200 traceurs). Consider yourself lucky to be in the area!

When you first get into parkour, you watch people just tearing it up in videos and looking completely kick ass. Then you realize the years of time and effort it took for them to get to that level. It can be a little intimidating, but believe me, everyone is incredibly friendly and you can get as much or as little help as you want. Like Pilou alluded to, parkour is a personal journey. There are a TON of very competent people around to help you out, but you set your goals and you determine how fast to progress.

Offline momo13004

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »
Are there any people who do parkour near glenmont or wheaton cause i've looked and i cant find any at all>

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:46:46 AM »
I'm not sure if there are people in Glenmont or Wheaton, but people get together in Silver Spring pretty regularly, which should be pretty close by.

Offline Sweetytri

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 05:12:58 AM »
Triften lives in Wheaton... I don't know if he's on apk though....
~trying to learn the unforced rhythm of grace

Offline momo13004

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:47:41 PM »
ohhh.im lonely =..but ehh watever i would like to go to the get togethers regularly but i dont really have rides =[

Offline SoulFire9513

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 07:15:01 PM »
I'm beginner too and I've been keeping up with the APK WOD (at least trying to) for the past few weeks.  I have easy access to metro but I have yet to attend one of these jams!  I am very anxious too, though. 
My only worry about doing parkour is that I know that a woman's center of balance is lower and farther back than a man's, and I feel like this can be very inhibiting for a lot of balancing techniques (especially planche and front lever, ugh).  Any advice from a female (traceuse)?  Thanks!!

Offline Pilou

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 07:03:04 AM »
hey, welcome to the area too ;D

have you checked the "women only" section of this forum? there's a lot of info, and many traceuses to help you there. There's also a women intro to Parkour at Primal Fitness every first Sunday of the month, so the next one is coming up if you're interested. I'd say that any body type comes with strengths and weaknesses, so some things are harder for guys or girls, tall or short, muscular or lithe. And there's quite a few talented traceuses around here, so don't be shy!!

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »
::waves madly::
Hi and welcome! I'm a local traceuse, I train at Primal and am one of the instructors. I lead the women's seminars, too, and they're a great way to learn some new training regimes you can work on your own.  Don't be afraid to come out to the jams, either - we always have a lot of beginners and everyone is welcoming and used to interacting with people of all skills and both sexes. As most people mentioned so far, everyone has different strengths and weaknesses; a good traceur/euse knows how to use what s/he has.
Planche and front lever are challenging moves for any beginner and even for many advanced traceurs/euses, unless they specifically train them. I feel pretty strongly that a) you don't need to be able to do either of those moves to be good at parkour and b) you can get good at those moves if you make that your goal and train them.