Author Topic: Parkour in Austin  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Leegin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Parkour in Austin
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
Hello I am new to this. I just found out the name of this two days ago. I was wondering if there is any Parkour  people in Austin TX. I would like to learn and maybe start something.
Thanks for the space.
Leegin

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour in Austin
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
If I could move this, I would. I'll do the mods a favor here ;D

If you look on the list of threads, on the main page of the forum, there is one for specific areas. I would repost this in that area, because a mod will move it. Welcome, and thank you! :)
In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

Offline BrMays

• Patas
  • Unregistered Hypercam 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »
Definitely.  You want to get in touch with Pat Yang.  There's a good-sized group that meets in the UT area and other surrounding hot spots.  It's definitely one of the most "vertical" campuses I've ran on.  Security's been cracking down on climbing there the past year, but conditioning and ground drills are still in play from what I hear.
Minneapolis / Western Wisconsin______
Practicing this month: Front Handspring | Kongs | One-handed Reverse

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »
Leegin,

Welcome to the parkour!  Training is a little erratic during the winter break, but there is definitely a large community of practitioners in town during most of the year.  If you want to find more practitioners, you might try moseying on over to the Texas Parkour forums.  Or you can email me with the email icon under my avatar to the left. :)
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Leegin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
Thanks for all the help and sorry that I posted in the wrong spot.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 11:12:39 AM »
Thanks for all the help and sorry that I posted in the wrong spot.

No prob, man. It happens all the time. ;)

Moved.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 03:10:48 PM »
Yeah on the texas parkour page you got a link for above there is a link to their regularly scheduled training events under the "city training" and Austin in the upper right hand corner of the page.

I was just through town there and trained with the crew there for about a week. These guys are great and are really willing to work with you to learn new stuff and progress safely.  Plus Austin is hands down one of the best city's in the country for training in my opinion.

You may want to get in contact with someone before you go train so they can expect you to be there. search for Levi would be a good bet he seems like he is at all the trainings and is on the Texas parkour page quite a bit.

Good luck and I might see you while I travel back through that way on my way to Portland.  8)
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Leegin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 04:14:32 PM »
thanks for the info. Hope you have a safe trip, when you get here look me up.

Offline BrMays

• Patas
  • Unregistered Hypercam 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »
Speaking of trips, about what time of year looks promising for the 2010 state jam?  (And which city?)
Minneapolis / Western Wisconsin______
Practicing this month: Front Handspring | Kongs | One-handed Reverse

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
Very uncertain right now, BrMayes.  It's historically been hosted by SA Crew, though the North Texas community has been growing by leaps and bounds.  We'll have to see as things progress.

However, there are three major jams going on in Austin, DFW, and Houston in the first three months.  I don't remember the dates, but they're listed on the TXPK website.
Training log.

Offline Drew Dst

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
Hi, im a beginner and was wondering if ya'll would know any good places.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 09:46:49 PM »
Around the capitol and other state buildings but be ware of cops. They will probably kick you off and maybe run your name but you can't really get in trouble unless you are vandalizing something or you have a warrant out for you ha ha.

Near there is also the college campus directly adjacent to the state buildings. It is really great as well but I know the local crew has been banned?? unofficially? not sure. Just be respectful and move along if you get stopped by campus security. 

Other than that the whole city and surroundings areas looked really good just keep your eyes open. Really... It is like the best PK city that I've seen all across the country.

Also check Out TX Parkour and click the Austin city training to link up with the local crew there. I know they have a gym day once a week, a more beginner day and a more intense training day later in the week. You might want to contact one of them before to ensure they will be there for sure. They are super fun to train with and they are really nice guys.  They are usually on the Texas Parkour sight more than APK. Look for Mathew or Levi on there they are 2 of the most assessable on the site. 

Hope this helps train safe and hard.
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Drew Dst

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it.

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »
Around the capitol and other state buildings but be ware of cops. They will probably kick you off and maybe run your name but you can't really get in trouble unless you are vandalizing something or you have a warrant out for you ha ha.

Untrue.  Once they ask you to leave, you are trespassing.

Near there is also the college campus directly adjacent to the state buildings. It is really great as well but I know the local crew has been banned?? unofficially? not sure. Just be respectful and move along if you get stopped by campus security. 

Parkour Austin, the club that has been officially registered with the UT Dean of Students office, has been asked not to "jump, climb, or crawl" on the University grounds.  Therefore, Texas Parkour does not condone parkour training on campus.  We're working on getting back on the campus, though it's slow going.

Also check Out TX Parkour and click the Austin city training to link up with the local crew there. I know they have a gym day once a week, a more beginner day and a more intense training day later in the week. You might want to contact one of them before to ensure they will be there for sure. They are super fun to train with and they are really nice guys.  They are usually on the Texas Parkour sight more than APK. Look for Mathew or Levi on there they are 2 of the most assessable on the site. 

If you're looking to train, there are gym days every Monday at 19:30 at Olympic Hills.  There is also Wednesday evening at 18:30 at Waterloo Park, and I'm looking to bring back Saturday morning trainings once the school year starts up again.
Training log.