Author Topic: Maximum drop-roll heights?  (Read 23051 times)

Offline Distorted Void

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Maximum drop-roll heights?
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:06:51 PM »
Ive been practicing the drop rolls for a good 3 weeks now, everyday, consistantly for hours. At first, my arms and left hip was pretty banged up from rolling on grass a lot. Ive decided to work on grass when I can and practice real high drop rolls on woodchips til i get real good at them, the max I have jumped so far, was about 12 feet up.

My curiosity is getting the better of me and im wanting to know what would be the maximum height you could drop roll without getting hurt if you knew how to roll perfectly and correctly.

Im not sure it this would differ from different types of ground as well. But inform me if it does, like it might be easier on woodchips or grass than cement or gravel, likewise, its easier on a mat and fluffy foam pits (which wouldnt seem like training at all), than it would be to hit woodchips.

So does anyone know what the actual maximum drop height would be, to be able to roll and not hurt yourself?

(Im gonna take a hypothesis and say around 20 feet)

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum drop-roll heights?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:13 PM »
You shouldn't be practicing yout rolls at that height. That realy high, you may not feel it now but you wil. Roll fron nealing or standing, or maybe jumping on somthing that is 2-3 feet. You dont need to practice your rolls up high. you would use the same technique whether rolling from 4 feet that you would from 400 feet. If anything the thing that is diferent between the height isnt how good your technique is (although that is REALLY impotant) Your legs have to be REALLY strong. So please keep it ground level.

In regrds to the highest drop. 20 heigth is really high, i cant even fathom doing a drop like that. Height isnt really important. Drill your weknesses, dont worry about taking huge drops. Parkour in its esscence is about bettering yoursefl. You better yourself by putting yourself through situations you normaly wouldn't. But there is a fine line between bettering your self and killing yourself. Be craeful, and dont worry about big drops.

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:38:06 PM »
Very well put. I agree with him. +1 ;D
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline RunCincy

• Mangabey
  • maybe rolling is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »
This is the end all "drops from height" thread, Browse through and soak up all that good information. It's lengthy but very informative. LINK : http://parkour.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3674&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0
you betcha on muh horse

Offline Distorted Void

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 06:25:32 PM »
when i was jumping at 12 feet it felt fine, one time i messed up and i felt it a bit, but i jump around, in different heights, but thanks for the advice or knowledge and the link..im pretty confident in my rolls, it seems easy, cause i have done tumbling and martial arts that involve rolls and drops, that is practiced exactly like parkour, so it seems to come easy, but i still need practice
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 06:56:08 PM by James »

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 07:35:14 PM »
Well, if it's your level.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:09:10 PM »
a stewardess fell 33000 feet and got only a broken leg.

theres no way to tell how high the drop would have to be to mess you up. i stay on the safe side.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Jonathan McCarver

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 12:59:10 PM »
I try not to push myself too hard in that direction. I'm doing this because I enjoy it so I do what I know is safe.  9 feet is perfectly comfortable o me now since I've been weight training.

If you really want to improve do squats.  dropping from height can easily put a force 3x your bodyweight on you so nothing in the world will take the place of gaining strength. (but good technique is always a must :) )
I'm so unorigional

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 05:08:17 PM »

theres no way to tell how high the drop would have to be to mess you up. i stay on the safe side.

Yeah I read that in the Guiness book of world records its insane.  The movie Unbreakable should have had her instead of Bruce Willis.

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 09:27:39 AM »

Yeah I read that in the Guiness book of world records its insane.  The movie Unbreakable should have had her instead of Bruce Willis.

and then there are always all those news articles about how kids are falling from 11 story windows up in new york and getting cuts and bruises...seriously i keep hearing about this happening, on multiple occasions.

really what the hell is causing all these kids to fall out of windows, i think they must have just watched jump britan and figured "hey i can do that", NYPK show these kids the way, you might even save a life lol :)
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 12:08:11 PM »
You shoudln't be doing five feet without training for years.  I mean, it won't hurt you, but without absolute PERFECT technique and the muscle mass to pull it off, you'll be causing a massive amount of wear and tear to your knees without you even knowing it.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Jonathan McCarver

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 06:16:13 AM »
I don't know about needing years but you should be physically fit before doing any drops.
I'm so unorigional

Offline YoSoyJose

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »
It's all about staying relaxed, loose and supple while doing drops and rolls. If you land from a height and are tense you are going to feel it more.
-Joe

Offline RunCincy

• Mangabey
  • maybe rolling is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »
It's all about staying relaxed, loose and supple while doing drops and rolls. If you land from a height and are tense you are going to feel it more.

You need to be somewhat tense in order to take drops and roll, otherwise you'd just fold up and smack the ground
you betcha on muh horse

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 02:24:26 AM »
Well actually guys we can handle a higher drop then people may think. Just read it'll teach you what to do: http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Long-Fall
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 07:38:52 AM »
im kind of tempted.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

crazyted

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »
if your technique for landing from high hights is perfect, im sure you could get pertty high although for most sensible human beings 8-16 feet is about what I have seen done successfully with no pain also depends on the surfaces your landing on and if you have forwards momentum....

Offline houston

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »
20+ on to cement and rolled and got up and ran on to the next item of fun

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 05:57:12 PM »