Author Topic: Winter Training  (Read 14544 times)

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
Re: Winter Training
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2009, 06:36:05 AM »
stilll  looking  for gloves  and a face mask   :P

Still telling you to check out sporting gear stores for underarmour gloves and mask ;) (Dick's, Gander Mountain, Cabella's, REI)

I just splurged on a compression shirt and sweatpants (guilty purchase starting as a halloween outfit >.>)...hopefully that in addition to gloves and the mask will keep me plenty warm without anything else. Training later today, I'll let you know how it goes.
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

Offline niko b.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »
as for gloves, my favorite winter gloves have been the 180s i found a couple years ago.
I have the Ultralites.

the CRGs (http://www.180s.com/pages/catalog_view.aspx?g=1%2c2&y=2&i=92&c=1)
and the Ultralites (http://www.180s.com/pages/catalog_view.aspx?g=1%2c2&y=2&i=170&c=1)

they are both full finger gloves, but they do have a windproof hood that you can pull over your fingers for when you need it.  If you don't need it, it tucks nicely back into itself.

I've used them for winter skiing, biking, running, general playing in the snow, pretty much anything i do outside in the winter.

If the 180s store is sold out, you can likely find them at other sporting good stores.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:22:29 PM by Alita »

Offline Joseph S

• Patas
  • Blissfully wed to a derby skater who likes Parkour
    • View Profile
    • Geek Physique
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 04:21:15 AM »
Alright, as far as gloves go, I've gotta ask, Alita, how grippy are these gloves?  I mean, running, you probably don't care about grippy gloves.  Graham was at a jam a few weeks back and wore his weightlifting gloves, and they were a little less than skin-grippy, but tons better than the random fingerless gloves made of knit polyester.  I'm glad we did that test, but can you maybe grab a railing and compare it to bare hands for grip, then report back?
"Age is a constant reminder that nothing is accomplished without a routine."

Offline niko b.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 08:15:27 AM »
Alright, as far as gloves go, I've gotta ask, Alita, how grippy are these gloves?  I mean, running, you probably don't care about grippy gloves.  Graham was at a jam a few weeks back and wore his weightlifting gloves, and they were a little less than skin-grippy, but tons better than the random fingerless gloves made of knit polyester.  I'm glad we did that test, but can you maybe grab a railing and compare it to bare hands for grip, then report back?

they aren't amazing.  i'd imagine the best gloves for grip would be the thick ones, as your body heat won't melt snow on the surface of them.

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2009, 01:34:21 PM »
So my winter training is pretty much thought out. I'll be hitting the weights again this year after school. Then I'll have conditioning/parkour basics days when I'm not lifting because it'll probably be too slippery to do alot. But when the snow hits hard enough, and it will, I'll be working on perfecting my horrid flips using the snow as a safety mat. So when spring comes around I shouldn't too rusty, I'll be stronger, and I'll be able to land my flips confidently. Anyone else got there winter training all figured out?
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

Offline eryn o

• Guenons
  • circus geek, dancing geek, technology geek... geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2009, 10:05:20 AM »
So my winter training is pretty much thought out. I'll be hitting the weights again this year after school. Then I'll have conditioning/parkour basics days when I'm not lifting because it'll probably be too slippery to do alot. But when the snow hits hard enough, and it will, I'll be working on perfecting my horrid flips using the snow as a safety mat. So when spring comes around I shouldn't too rusty, I'll be stronger, and I'll be able to land my flips confidently. Anyone else got there winter training all figured out?

Yup-- Gleason's, Xelias (circus school in NE), yoga, and L.A. Fitness. All of them being soundly indoors. :P
- eryn

Movement is unisex, nuff said.

Offline Joseph S

• Patas
  • Blissfully wed to a derby skater who likes Parkour
    • View Profile
    • Geek Physique
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2009, 07:01:29 AM »
My winter training involves taking a lot of business trips to places like Tampa and San Francisco and training outside. 

Um, does anyone want to start a Quadrupedal Movement sled dog team?  That looked like a lot of fun.   
"Age is a constant reminder that nothing is accomplished without a routine."