Author Topic: Cross Country Road Trip  (Read 3966 times)

turtlekarma

Cross Country Road Trip
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »
I've been think about this for a while now...and i think I wanna see how it would look before I committed to it.  I've got 30k or so saved up read to burn, and I want to take a break before I go to grad school.  I've been toying with the idea of a deployment with peace corps, or ameria corps.  But I'd like another option...and I've been thinking of a country wide tour (maybe world wide) tour of parkour communities. 

Maybe do an unofficial documentary of communities at large, similarities, differences, how they've grown, their differing ideas of what parkour is...the lifestyle of traceurs across America.  Uses each particular community has for parkour, like for education, as a source of income, a way to get in shape, a recreational activity, a dedicated way of life....Demographics, histories, injury logs(injuries directly related to parkour, prevalence of long term joint and whatever else damage associated with parkour)... idk what ever peaks my curiosity I could keep a log of. 

What I'm asking you guys is, what do you think of my idea?  I have some experience interviewing people from my research experiences in psychology, so I know what to ask and how, so that wouldn't be an issue.  I love to travel, but it could get very expensive very fast... do you guys think it'd be too much for me to go around asking traceurs (strangers) to host me while I'm traveling?  I've got some family on the west and east coast, but not to sure where I could stay in-between.  I've got some college buddies I could stay with, but not enough to have a good deal going on for as long as i'd like to be traveling.  Think I should talk to anyone in particular with my planning? 

Sorry if that seemed a little scatter brained, I've got alot on my mind right now (school, work, family issues) and am just trying to get it all out before my head explodes.

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
Re: Cross Country Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:48:06 PM »
Sounds like you need a photo journalist to join you.

your plan World wide sounds like a great idea!

30k is WAY more than enough to travel around the world.. SLEEP and EAT smart.. spend most of your time on the project and I could almost guarantee you could do a large trip with half that much. 

Offline Stacie

• Patas
  • Holy [insert witty word or phrase here], Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »
Dude. That sounds like an amazing idea!!!  ;D
"Do NOT...eat that. It is a poisonous...magicpie!"

turtlekarma

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »
Sounds like you need a photo journalist to join you.

your plan World wide sounds like a great idea!

30k is WAY more than enough to travel around the world.. SLEEP and EAT smart.. spend most of your time on the project and I could almost guarantee you could do a large trip with half that much. 

are you down to join in?  I'm starting to like my idea more and more as i think about it.  Would spend the next semester planning it out, contacting various communities... doing my research on costs and trying to talk to people who've tried similar things.  I'm thinking of getting some film school buddies of mine to come along, but I don't know anyone who takes pics as good as you man.  Or if you can't come, do you know a good photographer who might wanna tag along? 

I'm def a person who loves to live on a smart budget, never paying for more then I need to.

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 07:35:02 AM »
Yup I would be down to join. It would have to wait till after 217 days though. But That would probably be better anywayz, its so much easier traveling in the summer.

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 07:54:20 AM »
If you come through colorado, i know a bunch of people who would want to come. ;D
I'm back!!!

Check out my first PK video! http://youtu.be/ZSrXyTv5bGs

turtlekarma

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »
Haha yeah buddy, that'd be cool to travel with you derek.

um yeah colorado is definetly on my list of places...my older brother has a place near boulder, so I'm most likely gonna stop over there.

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:45:40 PM »
Ive seen much of the US already, so i would much rather to a int. trip...  However if you really feel the need to travel the us.. I have friends who are hospitable in (east to west)
NY
NC
FL
LA
TX?
CO
Cali: LA, costa mesa, maybe SF
Wa,

If US is the plan then it would be cheap(probably not cheapest) and super fun to buy a cheap motorcylce on CL, (2-3 grand) and travel cross country that way. Probably cost the same as multiple flights,  pluss we would have transportation at the spots we crash, and it would be easier for parking and  cheaper then a rental. 

INT. I only have hospitable friends in

Japan,
okinawa,

but couchsurfing.org is a really good option.

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 03:38:39 PM »
if you guys want to come through ohio there are some amazing guys at ohio state that are very friendly and may offer places to stay for free. id contact them through the ohio board if your interested
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
BRo I am sure that people from the community would be more than welcome to host you. You just gotta plan your trip, map it out, and hit up different communities. The interview idea sounds great, we could all learn from all the communities and how they are run.

I would love to join but cant really afford to do something like that at the moment. I would totally encourage you to do so though, you will gain not only knowledge but a tons of skills as well.

I am very jealous but very supportive of your idea. If I can help, which I think I could, let me know.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 04:07:34 AM »
Ive seen much of the US already, so i would much rather to a int. trip...  However if you really feel the need to travel the us.. I have friends who are hospitable in (east to west)
NY
NC
FL
LA
TX?
CO
Cali: LA, costa mesa, maybe SF
Wa,

If US is the plan then it would be cheap(probably not cheapest) and super fun to buy a cheap motorcylce on CL, (2-3 grand) and travel cross country that way. Probably cost the same as multiple flights,  pluss we would have transportation at the spots we crash, and it would be easier for parking and  cheaper then a rental. 

INT. I only have hospitable friends in

Japan,
okinawa,

but couchsurfing.org is a really good option.

Yeah the only issue I'd have with traveling abroad is that I know very few people who'd be willing to host me.
Japan and China/Hong kong....and that's about it. 

But then again that's the exciting part, meeting new people and seeing new places.  I just am a little hesitant to saying I wanna do a international road trip until I/We gather more information about larger Parkour communities abroad.  You're idea about motorcycling, it sounds awesome...especially cause I love to travel light.  I'm actually seeing just how easily this could work in my head right now.  I'd like to talk to you about this next time we meet, compare places where we've got family/friends who would put us up for a week/ couple of days...then fill in the blank spots with communities that we wanna check out that would be willing to host us. 

turtlekarma

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 04:19:15 AM »
BRo I am sure that people from the community would be more than welcome to host you. You just gotta plan your trip, map it out, and hit up different communities. The interview idea sounds great, we could all learn from all the communities and how they are run.

I would love to join but cant really afford to do something like that at the moment. I would totally encourage you to do so though, you will gain not only knowledge but a tons of skills as well.

I am very jealous but very supportive of your idea. If I can help, which I think I could, let me know.

yeah, so many people have stepped up and said come here before I've even really committed to this plan yet...it's really heart warming to see so much altruism.  Well ozzi I will be planning this probably all the way up until summer, maybe past that before I finalize anything.  If you manage to scrape enough together in time I'd love to go with you man (I'm actually pretty sure that the way I budget, I could cut so many costs that it won't even come near to $15k)....maybe if I make this an academic thing I could search for a scholarship that could cover some of the costs or even reduce money I pay for travel.   

Would love your input on communities you think I should check out... if you have contacts in communities that I could put to use that would be much appreciated as well. 

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 12:28:05 AM »
Hve you made this a post on the general topics yet? once ready to get it planned I can get it posted on front page, you will get peopel contacting you for hosting. Here are some of the top of my head that are a must and have great people there (alliance and tribe also).

Cali - SFPK is the biggest one there. You can talk to Brandon "CornDogg"
Seattle - Tyson Checka
Colorado - Ryan Ford
Texas - Jereme
Fl -  MiamiPk - Adrian Gonzalez
DC - Mark Toorock
NY - Not sure who is there, maybe Zach

There are several more places but cant think of many more right now, those though are definitelly a must hit for you bro. Where ever else you want to go though Im sure you will have no problem finding peopel to train with, in the mean time, you need to train hard and get ready physically and mentally, I know that knowing that you have train with us (and not to sound like I am a big deal) specially me, they will want to train with you and learn from you if possible. Specially on the smaller communities. So, this is an opportunity for you to be a good ambassador of parkour as you travel around and learn as well as share with others.

I will be posting more as I know bro.
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 11:55:20 PM »
Yeah I posted in general Topics...Got tons of people saying they willing to host me.  PM'd Zac...he said he's gonna get back to me in a couple of days.  I'm currently in the stage of talking with Derek, cause he said he might wanna join me. 

I've heard of most of those people and will probably start trying to contact them once finals are over....also, I might want to make this at least partially an international trip.  Know of any big communities in other countries?  Yeah, I def feel the need to get into better shape and really committing to my training more then ever before. 

Also that Survey you posted on HIPK...could I get the contact info of the person running it?  I'd like to talk to her about her research, and maybe brain storm on ways fill in the gaps that she has by doing a simple survey study, when I eventually get out there and gather info on my own. 

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
I dont have her info but can find it. Ill let you know.
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 05:33:58 AM »
Hve you made this a post on the general topics yet? once ready to get it planned I can get it posted on front page, you will get peopel contacting you for hosting. Here are some of the top of my head that are a must and have great people there (alliance and tribe also).

Cali - SFPK is the biggest one there. You can talk to Brandon "CornDogg"
Seattle - Tyson Checka
Colorado - Ryan Ford
Texas - Jereme
Fl -  MiamiPk - Adrian Gonzalez
DC - Mark Toorock
NY - Not sure who is there, maybe Zach

There are several more places but cant think of many more right now, those though are definitelly a must hit for you bro. Where ever else you want to go though Im sure you will have no problem finding peopel to train with, in the mean time, you need to train hard and get ready physically and mentally, I know that knowing that you have train with us (and not to sound like I am a big deal) specially me, they will want to train with you and learn from you if possible. Specially on the smaller communities. So, this is an opportunity for you to be a good ambassador of parkour as you travel around and learn as well as share with others.

I will be posting more as I know bro.

I've got

SFPK (cali PK)
NYPK
North Carolina Parkour
Minnesota Parkour
Chicago Parkour
indiana Parkour
Las Vegas Parkour

Looking to add
Seattle PK, Texas PK, Colorado PK, DCPK, Miami Parkour, Jersey Parkour, New England Parkour, Arizona Pk, and Oregon Pk

If you can think of any big communities I'm missing please let me know.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 06:15:10 AM »
You gotta stop by Philly ;)