Author Topic: 10. QM - MN updated  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
10. QM - MN updated
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:29:58 AM »
Ah! I finally found my notes and some free time, so here's my take on Georges Hébert's Quadrupédie.

First, QM encompasses anything that has to do with using all four limbs together. Think QM walk, yes, but also plank, push-ups, crouching, falling on your hands, crawling, handstands, rolling, etc, etc. Lots of different sub-topics, and as always Hébert goes through every different skill and lays down every possible way to do it. Example: the basic push-up can be done forward (the usual way), backward (facing up, kind of like arm dips), or sideways (starting on side plank and lowering yourself, bringing the extra hand down as a support at the end of the way). Very systematic variations, some probably better than others, but always trying to do everything in all the possible ways.

Second, he insists through the book that circus clowns are probably the most accomplished type of athletes, as tumbling in apparent randomness requires acrobatic strength, agility, and adaptability. He sees hand springs (jumping from your feet to your hands and then to your feet again while progressing forward or backward) as the dividing line between simple QM and acrobatic QM, which he regards as the highest discipline of physical athleticism.

Then there's billions of exercises and progressions on the theme; I'll list here in random order the ones I noted. As a warning, a lot of the stuff here can be very advanced, be very careful when you try them and follow a slow progression.

- static positions (planks, crouching, standing): how to go from one to the other, moving the hands or the feet, facing forward, backward or sideways.

- QM walking and running: forward, backward and sideways. Changing pace from slow to fast to slow, switching styles, making long paces, turning around, adding sudden stops in plank. Note there is a slightly different variant of our QMs: keeping the hips higher, back leg almost straight. This is supposed to be easier for long walks.

- QM jumps: start with a progression from crouching and back, then add a jump to it. Jump in all directions, adding spins,etc. Pretty hard...

- crawling: there's an entire piece on crawling or snaking, using your hands and feet or just your core and back muscles (yes, like a snake)

- falling: again, progress slowly. Start bending down to get into a plank, then slowly increase the distance. Going backward or sideways, it is recommended to spin in order to land on both hands facing forward. There is only so much strength we can build on our arms.

- "piqué": anything where the feet leave the ground before the hands touch. "Piqué" cartwheel, handstand, etc

That's pretty much it. There's a lot of work to be done in these few exercises, though! I have barely scratched the surface for most of these, and it already changed a lot of my conditioning. Enjoy!

Told you it would get copied here, Pilou ;D

naturalninja

Re: 10. QM - MN updated
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »
AWESOME!:D THANK YOU!!!

turtlekarma

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
Lol, I'm using this tonight.  I'm bringing my little bro (12) and sister (13) to the gymnastics gym with me...they see my QMing all over the house and always want to join in...and I've been trying to think of new ways to make Qming a more diverse experience for them, those exercises seem like great ideas.  Haha my mom's gonna be pissed cause they'll be QMing all the time now ;D

If you find other things for QM I'd love to see them

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
Wow, I would love to see a bid of that core and back muscle snake crawl you described Gregg.

Great stuff, all this MN posting. There is so much of it
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »
I'll ask Pilou if he has vid of it. I tried to do it but found I was still using my shoulders.
Yeah, I wanted HIpk to have the best info on MN

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »
Yeah, def the best stuff on the web altho I was glad to find that nice PDF of the book pilOu made. Thanks for the link to that.

I have been looking for sample mn workouts. It's hard to find anything. There are some that people tried for their first time but you mentioned that on of the books has the exercises. Which one is that?
Motion for motion's sake

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »
The PDF is great. I'll post some sample workouts in a different thread. Here's Pilou's answer to the snake crawl:

The only vid of crawling I've seen is a very small segment of one of Erwan's promotional videos from a couple of years ago, where I think he's just going on his back. The basic idea from Hébert's book (as I remember it) is to start from very low QMs (mostly moving hands and feet like a crocodile), then work on the same movements with your body touching the ground, then without using hands or feet. You end up recruiting your core a lot in all of these because your limbs give you less and less traction. The book wasn't super-detailed on this, so you guys need to experiment :)
Have fun!

-Pilou