Author Topic: Gatorade  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Alec H

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Gatorade
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »
So, I have stopped drinking Soda altogether.  For lunch I usually drink gatorade, and is this healthy/good for you?  I usually drink 1-2 bottles of water a day (0.9 FL Ounces per bottle)  Gatorade contains like 11% sodium for a day and 100 some calories.  Can I still drink gatorade?  I'm trying to lose water weight, and lose stomach fat.

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
Re: Gatorade
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:07:02 PM »
Unless you're eating pure protein and fat for lunch, there doesn't seem to be any point in drinking Gatorade with it.  It's just pure sugar.  Keep in mind that to lose weight, you'll want to eat clean.

You might want to look at this article by Chris to help with losing some.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »
Electrolytes are just free ions in a solution.  You would get the same amount of effect from it if you just ate some salt and drank some water.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:43:43 PM »
Drink water or tea. Possibly coffee... but dont overdo it.

Or if you have to.. vitamin fortified juices (albeit still not that good).
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 07:19:18 PM »
Stick with the water. Gatorade is great during or after a strenuous workout. Don't just drink it when you're thirsty; that's what water's for.
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline rodvarg

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »
Coconut water, It has more electrolytes (sp?) than Gatorade which is always good for post-workout
“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way.”
- Dr. Seuss

Offline Glacieus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Life's a joke; laugh often.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 07:56:27 AM »
Water is a natural purifier. It's the healthiest thing for your kidneys. Clean blood = good blood = improved cardio. At least that's what happened to me. Water and tea are good. Coffee is alright just don't drink to much. (OFF TOPIC *Fun fact: Coffee is a natural way to improve the chances of getting pregnant. Caffine just supercharges the little guys!)
There will come a time where you meet someone that has no idea what they're doing. It is your responsibility to show this person the way.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »
Water is a natural purifier. It's the healthiest thing for your kidneys. Clean blood = good blood = improved cardio. At least that's what happened to me. Water and tea are good. Coffee is alright just don't drink to much. (OFF TOPIC *Fun fact: Coffee is a natural way to improve the chances of getting pregnant. Caffine just supercharges the little guys!)

Water is good, yeh -- but clean blood?  Blood is mostly water as is more of your body.  When you hydrate better by drinking lots of water performance increases but thats for many reasons - mostly with the fact that your body's cells have more available water to carry on its normal processes.

Offline Glacieus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:48:13 AM »
True. Fat also travels in the blood stream. When you raise your body's core temp. you sweat out fat. At least that is what I was led to believe. Less fat in your blood stream makes it easier for your heart to pump your blood, true?
There will come a time where you meet someone that has no idea what they're doing. It is your responsibility to show this person the way.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 07:05:24 AM »
True. Fat also travels in the blood stream. When you raise your body's core temp. you sweat out fat. At least that is what I was led to believe. Less fat in your blood stream makes it easier for your heart to pump your blood, true?

Nothing you said in this post is true.  You never sweat out fat - you sweat out water and salts.

The concentration of Free Fatty Acids has a very small impact on blood viscosity.  Ingested fats don't play a role at all here since they are processed through the lymphatic system before being introduced into the circulatory system.

So, in short, no.

Offline Glacieus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »
My mistake. I guess I really haven't decided to make my living as a doctor or health buff. So I don't really KNOW these things. Its mainly my form of poetic science, if you will. Or am I wrong about my feelings as well. My main point was that I think water is the safest and healthiest drink to ingest.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 08:39:38 AM »
My mistake. I guess I really haven't decided to make my living as a doctor or health buff. So I don't really KNOW these things. Its mainly my form of poetic science, if you will. Or am I wrong about my feelings as well. My main point was that I think water is the safest and healthiest drink to ingest.

In most cases it is the best option to drink just water.  There are some cases where that is not true, such as very long endurance bouts like marathons and ultramarathons.  In that case, losing salt from sweating and replacing it with water that does not have salts/electrolytes will cause water poisoning that can result in death.

Offline Glacieus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 05:43:04 AM »
Would'nt putting a couple teaspoons of table salt in my water help that? It would be less expensive; tap water and salt. Maybe not quite as tasty as gatorade but the same effects, right? I guess that depends on the concentration of salt?

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »
Would'nt putting a couple teaspoons of table salt in my water help that? It would be less expensive; tap water and salt. Maybe not quite as tasty as gatorade but the same effects, right? I guess that depends on the concentration of salt?

I'm pretty sure you aren't at the level where you should be worrying about electrolyte loss.  Just drink lots of water and eat healthily, and you should be fine.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure you aren't at the level where you should be worrying about electrolyte loss.  Just drink lots of water and eat healthily, and you should be fine.

Yeah, exactly -- the comment I made was more in order to keep you from making blanket statements that aren't true.  Water is generally what you should reach for when you are thirsty but do be aware that there are exceptions.

Putting salt in your water is unnecessary for most people.

Offline Glacieus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 08:14:17 AM »
Ok thankyou. And sorry for that.

Offline tippy25

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »

No. While that will give you some sodium intake, it will also give you an equal amount of chlorine intake, which could potentially kill you. There's a reason you're not supposed to swallow salt-water.
Peace
Tim

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »
No. While that will give you some sodium intake, it will also give you an equal amount of chlorine intake, which could potentially kill you. There's a reason you're not supposed to swallow salt-water.

Wrong. Chloride ions are not very toxic at all.

Chlorine (Cl2) diatomic gas is toxic.

A quick google search will sort this out for you if you desire more information. Just google chloride ions and drinking water.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Glacieus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 05:42:19 AM »
Wrong. Chloride ions are not very toxic at all.

Chlorine (Cl2) diatomic gas is toxic.

A quick google search will sort this out for you if you desire more information. Just google chloride ions and drinking water.
Ah, thank you. Thats why I had strong doubts about table salt being toxic.

Offline Jesse Wharton

• will behave
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • Click here
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
I drink G2 half diluted with water while I'm working out, and I do the same thing with juices, if you reallly like gatorade like I do it's a good trick to drink it in moderation.