Author Topic: How do you feel about the Barclaycard World Freerun Championships?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline kenta007

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Personally, I hate it. I went in with my mind open and willing to any interpretation of parkour/freerunning the world might give, and it ended up being everything I didn't want it to be and more. They've began naming and scoring the tricks, putting unconventional traceurs in conventional, enclosed spaces with very few rails, boxes and walls and expecting them to achieve greatness for them to judge. I love the parkour that is envisioned everywhere, watching people find different uses for the same object, and after seeing you'd want to go out and do in your own neighborhood. The parkour that all you'd have to do is take a right turn on your way home instead of the usual left to find a spot you'll train on for the next year. The only comparison I can make to the feeling I get when watching Barclaycard is the feeling a street skateboarder would get when watching a vert tournament. The freedom, creativity, rebellion, imagination, the belief that maybe humans really can fly is desecrated. It's not about feeling anymore. It's about numbers, sponsors, and marketing. To me, Barclaycard isn't parkour. It's not even freerunning. It's just another way the world tries to keep true freedom and expression caged.

How bout u? ;D

Offline andrewmc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about the Barclaycard World Freerun Championships?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
well,

Barclaycard isn't trying to be parkour, it's a Freerunning event. That said, I wasn't expecting there to be any flow type of events, or many real world simulations at all. I expected them to be asking the participants to be flipping off of stuff/over stuff/through stuff, and that's what they did. I'm not necessarily glad they did it this way, but it doesn't bother me either. It is what it is.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:02:15 PM by andrewmc »
resident gymnast

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
Well, I didn't see it yet - I'll have to rely on online replication as it won't be on TV where I am.

I will say this: Nothing is all good or all bad.

I have heard its 6 episodes and I can't imagine how they made one competition into 6 episodes and keep it exciting .. but hey, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!!

In any event, it has inspired at least one person and I'm sure many more, (As I hope the MTV one has as well)

Got this as a direct tweet:

Hey Mark, I'm watching the Freerun Championships and it's making me want to join a Gym. I think im going to go to college in DC to do so.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline andrewmc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
Well, I didn't see it yet - I'll have to rely on online replication as it won't be on TV where I am.

I will say this: Nothing is all good or all bad.

I have heard its 6 episodes and I can't imagine how they made one competition into 6 episodes and keep it exciting .. but hey, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!!

In any event, it has inspired at least one person and I'm sure many more, (As I hope the MTV one has as well)

Got this as a direct tweet:

Hey Mark, I'm watching the Freerun Championships and it's making me want to join a Gym. I think im going to go to college in DC to do so.

It's on G4, y'all don't get that?
resident gymnast

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:23:23 PM »
It's on G4, y'all don't get that?

Some of us are simple folk that don't think 100 channels is essential to life.  It is amazing what you can do when you're not watching TV all day.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »
"Who knows what's good or bad?"

Some people may think this is bad for the image of freerunning, others may think different. I personally don't care much about it. As I type this, I am watching G4's broadcast of it. Some parts I didn't like, but the idea is fine with me. Let people do what they want with their movement.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:10:18 PM »
You know, guys, I'll be totally honest. I felt really, really good about this show. I hated UPC, but I loved this. And I'll explain why:

First, the set up was professional, and it respected and represented Freerunning the way we wanted. They discussed our roots, they gave us enough time to express our feelings and shed our philosophy and feelings about what we do. The post-performance interviews were epic! So much truth, so much humble and respectful behavior. And honestly, that is what impresses a mature, adult audience.

Secondly, it was not designed like a competition. UPC had the feel of a race. Everything was timed, it was a rush to land as many moves as possible, just like X-Games. Not the way Parkour is meant to be. WFC, on the other hand, was designed like an exhibition. People were given an open field to play in, and they were welcome to do any movement they desired. Their performance, which they were allowed to dictate and control, was judged in a way that everyone can understand. It wasn't just a... "okay.. you're better at freerunning." It was four different elements to performance that gives different people of different styles an opportunity to give their skill. Livewire, while he has less dangerous movements, has stellar execution, so he got points for that. Showtime has amazing creativity and difficulty, but his execution can be sloppy because of the difficulty. These points are generally averaged for an overall, most complete traceur. As far as judging goes, that's the very best way I can think to judge it.

Overall, it proved the moral character of the performers. The ending interviews all showed the true nature of freerunners.

Honestly, I think this was a very, very, positive thing. Because they represented it for what it is. Freerunning. Ultimate Parkour Challenge that is won by the biggest flips. Um? But Freeruning Championship that is won by the most complete and whole exhibition of skill. That makes sense.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »
I found it quite entertaining, hated the part where the French guy twisted his knee but that was about it, you could see they all appreciated eachother and eachother's runs.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline andrewmc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 07:38:59 PM »
Some of us are simple folk that don't think 100 channels is essential to life.  It is amazing what you can do when you're not watching TV all day.

Um, did I say 100 channels are essential to life? Did I say I sat around watching tv all day? No, and I don't. Get off your high horse.

Back on topic, I also like the fact that D. Walters was a judge, and the fact that they gave bios on the judges in general. That way you know it wasn't a bunch of "nitro circus-like" guys judging on what looked flashy.
resident gymnast

Offline Sean C

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • just lose yourself in the music and movement...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »
i thought it was pretty sweet. i thought they could have done a lil more with the course, but then again what do i know i wasnt there runnin. I was thrilled that they explained parkour past the point of "its a new sport" all in all id say it was a big win for the community.

Offline StreetPrince

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
Um, did I say 100 channels are essential to life? Did I say I sat around watching tv all day? No, and I don't. Get off your high horse.

Andrew, relax.

Daniel is not attacking you. He is expressing his opinion with a hint of sarcasm. No need to retaliate.
Team MajesticFlow

Offline NikAs

• Patas
  • Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »
I personally enjoyed watching it.
Aero parkour
Chicago

Offline Grant

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »
I just started watching it (recorded it) and I personally dont really like it so far. Likely because im not really a fan of flips/tricks/ect. It keeps annoying me when theyre trying to "pump up the crowd" too.  Also it feels like the course is a little forced. And annoying music. haha.
I like how they have good judges and judging criteria though.

Ill give some more input when i finish watching.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 04:26:19 PM »
I personally dont really like it so far. Likely because im not really a fan of flips/tricks/ect.

Well you obviously have freedom to your opinion of what you like, but that doesn't it a bad event. Its a Freerunning Event. Thats what freerunning is, movement plus innovative flips and tricks.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Grant

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »
Well you obviously have freedom to your opinion of what you like, but that doesn't it a bad event. Its a Freerunning Event. Thats what freerunning is, movement plus innovative flips and tricks.

I realize and respect that. i actually liked the show quite a bit now that i finished it. I liked it more than the UPC that was on last week because i hated the nitro circus centered show, and i liked how the Barclaycard comp represented Parkour/Freerunning community and traceurs much better then the "Oh dude this stuff is Extreme!!!" MTV version.