Author Topic: Bulking: milk substitute  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
Re: Bulking: milk substitute
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
Excellent summary, KC.  One thing I'd like to comment on, since the concern of lactose intolerance has come up:

It doesn't really work that way with regular food portions, and would require more preparation and probably more cost as well. That's probably the final point that really adds to milk's case. The efficacy of cost. The highest I've seen a regular gallon of milk is 3 dollars. At first, people new to the idea say "holy crap, that's way too much for me to afford 1 a day."
Soon they realize that trying take in that same amount of food, especially with that kind of quality, will probably cost a whole lot more.

The cheapest I've seen lactose-free milk around here is around $3.00 for half a gallon, which is also the largest size in which it is available here.  This at least doubles the cost of milk if one is doing GOMAD or a variant thereof.  While it is true that it still has a good cost-to-calorie ratio, many people view GOMAD as supplemental.  That is, even if they consciously realize they need to ingest tons and tons of calories, they see the gallon as on top of what they'd eat anyway.  So the caloric losses due to not drinking the gallon aren't nearly offset by the extra food one would eat instead.  Therefore, it's still cheaper, in reality, to drop GOMAD, since you won't be trying to get the same amount of calories.

EDIT: Mind you, I'm not advocating this viewpoint.  However, I feel that this is a practicality that one must consider when evaluating the adherence to the program.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 02:30:25 PM »
You don't want to drink the milk because you don't like it?  If that's the reason then just man up.  If you were lactose intolerant or got bad gas from milk, then i could understand...but plenty of people do things they dislike for the sake of bulking, health, performance, etc.

Like shots of olive oil :-X not as bad as fish oil though.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Jon Hurst

• Patas
  • cuerpo fuerte, mente sano
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 09:01:43 AM »
Shots of olive oil???  :o :o :o That's something I hadn't thought of...

I had been drinking organic milk before money got tight since there's no rBGH or antibiotics like in regular milk. Plus, the shelf life of organic milk is twice as long (or more) as regular milk for those who drink less. Then my wife and I switched to regular milk due to cost, but now she's pregnant. So she's back on organic 2% and I'm doing Lactaid so I can drink milk more often with no adverse effects. It's still cheaper than the cost of meat, although I forgot about lactase pills. Might try that. fyi, Horizon carries an organic lactose free milk for the same price as all their other milks (3.99/half gallon here). The store brand organic milk is $3.29/half gallon here. Can't remember how much less for the gallon size.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:06 AM »
I'll have to look into the economics of Lactaid vs Pills, Though I suspect pills will be cheaper. I'd also like to find out if there are any ways to slow the progression of Lactose intolerance (Somewhat pessimistic about the idea but a friend of mine mentioned it might be possible herbally, so I'll look into it in any case)
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »
There's nothing wrong with bovine growth hormone. In fact, it will help your muscles grow if anything. The human GH peptide is pretty much similar to the bovine one, and it's not like it's going to make a significant difference.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Jon Hurst

• Patas
  • cuerpo fuerte, mente sano
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:58 PM »
There's nothing wrong with bovine growth hormone. In fact, it will help your muscles grow if anything. The human GH peptide is pretty much similar to the bovine one, and it's not like it's going to make a significant difference.
Wikipedia and a dairy farmer I talked to today both support the idea. This'll save some money. Thanks!