Author Topic: Southeast Jam: Jam of the Century II - Athens, Georgia - Oct 31 - Nov 1  (Read 3083 times)

Offline .

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Jam Of the Century II
Hosted by: Parkour at UGA and Overflux

Coming to Athens, Georgia on October 31st - November 1st, Parkour at UGA and Overflux are hosting a Southeast-Wide Parkour Jam called “Jam of the Century II”. People of all ages and in good health are invited to participate! Kids, Teens, Young Adults, Adults, and Parents are all welcome to attend. Don't miss the chance to learn Parkour from experienced traceurs with years of experience!

What should I bring?
Signed waiver form (see attached)
Athletic shoes/shirt/pants
Water bottle
Money for your own food/hotel/gas/etc.
Friends
Lots of energy!

Where should I stay?
We encourage you to look at hotels in Athens. If you are on a tight budget, many locals open their homes to travelers. Please contact a local in Athens on Overflux.com for more information. Please be respectful and help your host with whatever you can.

What's the itenerary?
Friday night, arrive in Athens.
Day 1 - Saturday morning (9:30 a.m.) - Arrive at North Campus near the Arch in downtown Athens. This is at the intersection of Broad St. and College Ave. Training will begin on the north campus lawn and will be led by Parkour at UGA and Overflux. Please arrive early if possible and with your waiver signed and in hand.
Saturday evening (after lunch) - More training on campus and dinner.
Sunday morning (10 a.m.) - Natural training at Ben Burton park off Mitchell Bridge Rd.

What is parkour?
Parkour – (aka l'art du déplacement, freerunning, the art of movement) – is a physical discipline inspired by human movement, focusing on fast, efficient motion over, under, and around obstacles in one's environment. Such movement may come in the form of running, jumping, climbing, and other more complex techniques. The goal of parkour is to adapt one's movement to any given obstacle.
What is a Jam?
A jam is a large influx of parkour practitioners who train together. The most experienced will lead organized group training to spread knowledge of how to properly train for parkour. Participants challenge themselves by their own choice alone and are encouraged to place safety as their first priority.

What is Challenge by Choice?
Parkour is a discipline that is a "Challenge by Choice". Our leaders have years of parkour experience and will lead less experienced participants in exercises. If you feel unprepared for certain exercises or techniques, you shouldn't feel the need to participate. It is important to know your limits and that safety is our number one priority. While our leaders will advise you and lead you in exercise, please know that we require every participant to sign a waiver. You are practicing at your own risk.

My child is interested in participating, what can I do to help?
Everyone is welcome to attend, and sometimes parents that attend offer their help. If you have skills in first aid, photography and/or filming, or would just like to help with the event, we'd love it if you joined us! If you would like to help, please contact us on Overflux.com or at parkouratuga@gmail.com as soon as possible.

I am part of the media, can I attend?
Yes, however there is a limited number of media spots available. We want to keep the area safe for all. Please contact us at parkouratuga@gmail.com to reserve a spot and for more information.

What is Parkour at UGA?
Parkour at UGA is a student-run parkour organization at the University of Georgia, whose mission is to aid both beginner and advanced individuals train for parkour. The organization emphasizes heavy conditioning to ensure resistance and longevity of the human body. Since Jan. of 2007 Parkour at UGA has trained traceurs, hosted an array of parkour events, and been featured in local media.

What is Overflux?
Overflux, est. 2004, is a non-profit community-driven parkour organization that encourages training and enables communication between traceurs across the Southeast United States. With nearly 2000 members, Overflux helps set up regular sessions open to everyone all around the southeast.

Contact
For more detailed information please visit www.overflux.com. If you have any questions or comments contact us on www.overflux.com or at parkouratuga@gmail.com.

poster:
http://uga.edu/parkour/jotc.png

detailed event announcement:
http://uga.edu/parkour/jotc2.pdf

waiver:
http://uga.edu/parkour/JOTC2Waiver.pdf
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:05:11 PM by David Echols »
At the center of parkour lies training and the results thereof -- all of your efforts in parkour should be aligned with this central theme.