Author Topic: Parkour in IGH/SSP/Eagan  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Alec H

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Parkour in IGH/SSP/Eagan
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:52:26 PM »
Does anyone have any good hotspots in the south east metro?  I'm located in Inver Grove Heights and I can't find any good spots to train.  I'm usually at the Community College but I can't find anywhere else.

Offline mospunk

• Patas
  • Matt M.
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour in IGH/SSP/Eagan
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:05:14 AM »
I will stress creativity, creativity, creativity!  You may not have an excellent training area, but you can find little things along the way.  Plan a walking/running route around a few small spots where you can work on a few movements.  Precision jumps are everywhere!  Playgrounds are a great place to start.  Just stop and look around for a long while and let your mind consider all the different movements one can do with Parkour, and then apply them to your area.  The single greatest thing you should train constantly is your mind.  Unless you're in an open field, there will always be things you can do (although you could still do QM in a field), such as running jumps or precisions from or onto curbs, tic tacs on any stable wall, wall runs, QM everywhere!

From my own personal experience, I would say find a place that's quiet, where you can be alone, at least while you're training.  It helps with focus, and you won't feel weird about doing something that might look stupid at first.  I trained completely alone for at least 4 months before joining anyone else, or really doing it in front of anyone else if I could avoid it.

The important thing is just to train!  Even if it's just the APK warm-up at home.  Make a point then to join the group at weekly jams, once you're ready.

Hope that helps.
Train safe, play hard, and dream of flight.