Author Topic: UH Saturday Jams  (Read 8132 times)

Offline C.T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Kailua Pillboxes
    • View Profile
UH Saturday Jams
« on: October 04, 2009, 04:09:01 PM »
Hey guys, I just just moved here from Chicago and I've been doing parkour for about 2 years now. If you were at the OGLJ you probably saw me there.

So onto why I'm posting.

I know a lot of you think that we go UH too much, but really, you can find something new every day anywhere you go. So I'd like to start a weekly jam here at UH for those of you who are close or want to come. I just want to see how many people would be interested in it. It wouldn't replace the monthly jams, it's meant to supplement them for those of us who can't make them, or for those of use who just want to have more community training. And we can also find another place nearby, but there is a lot of variety offered at UH. Any suggestions, criticisms, words of praise or comments? What do you think.

~Chris
Be prepared; be all that you can be; be a positive force in the world.

http://vimeo.com/user2365606

turtlekarma

Re: UH Saturday Jams
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
I'd join your for conditioning drills...that way it doesn't really matter where it is as long as we get a good sweat going...I gotta show you this trail by UH, it's right on dole st. sandwiched inbetween hawaiian studies and main campus.   

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »
I am super down for this, I dont drive but Ill try to make it to as many as I can.

Are you going to still going to want to do this sat's before the Sunday jams. Or just the weekends we dont hold the HIpk main jams?

UH rocks, I dont care what anyone says.

C.T, great to have you here with us. The forum is finally pumping up.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »
Hehe, if my parents let me out of the house I love this idea. I have to brown nose just to make this jam.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline C.T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Kailua Pillboxes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:04:52 PM »
I'd join your for conditioning drills...that way it doesn't really matter where it is as long as we get a good sweat going...

It would be awesome to have you there man. But I'm thinking of a more informal feel than a jam with conditioning "drills". You can still do conditioning (I'm not gonna stop you haha), but a jam where nothing is really set except the location.

It'd be more of a do-what-you-want-to-as-long-as-you're-having-fun jam; more like a gym session where everyone's doing their own thing and helping each other out with sticking points. So, for example, if you really want to work kong to precisions, you can just do those all day, and see what other people are into and how everyone is progressing in what they're interested in. We'd move locations once everyone feels like they're satisfied with what they've been working on. Because I'll be honest, I can do conditioning at home. But I can't share ideas, teach, and get tips from the wall I'm vaulting over by myself.

I might have a different conception of what jams are, so if that seems a little too out there, we can do an organized warm-up beforehand. But I'm basically going to assume that anyone who has been doing parkour for a while knows to warm up, and anyone who doesn't is going to ask what to do first anyways, and will be told that they need to warm up.

Are you going to still going to want to do this sat's before the Sunday jams. Or just the weekends we dont hold the HIpk main jams?

Ideally I'd like to do it every Saturday, and then since it's more of a personal preference as to how much work you do, just try to pace yourself so you're not too sore for the Sunday Jam.

I'm really glad to see such a positive response to this idea, and it'd be great to see all 3 of the people who posted here show up. Let's get some more though, yeah? I think the most prominent memory in my mind of the forum before I came here was when Ozzi was gone or something and no one was really putting in too much effort to create the jam without him. So let's get some people jamming every week so we can support each other and really grow together as a community. On a more selfish note, it'd also be really great to get to meet more of you guys (and girls)  :)

What times would work best for people on saturdays? I was thinking of sometime around 12 or early afternoon. Once again, open to any questions, comments, or concerns.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:06:58 AM »
C.T, regarding Ryans comment about conditioning, remember conditioning doesnt just mean doing a bunch of push ups and squats, but sometimes it could be a gauntlet too where more PK-like moves are incorporated.

The whole doing your own thing is fun and of course rewarding as you get to figure out what to work on, however it is always a good idea to share a light conditioning session where everyone does the same thing, so that you get a feeling for different style of movement which might help in gathering ideas to improve ones own movement.

Last jam was a more "Ozzi-like" conditioning, which is known for just kicking everyone's butt including my own. I do that once in a while as we all need it. Sometimes it is just doing certain techniques several time until finding the most efficient and comfortable way to perform the technique being drilled. Which at the same time translates into conditioning. I think people just think of conditioning as the push ups, squats type of movement. When some times it can be just basically doing a flow of 3 or 4 moves combined 20 to 30 times or so as a way of conditioning thru motion. Makes sense? Then from there we do some free flow, our own thing until we move to another spots and then explore with the same.

I know you come from another community and I would love to hear/learn how you guys do stuff there so that we can incorporate more stuff to our session as well.

let's get some people jamming every week so we can support each other and really grow together as a community. On a more selfish note, it'd also be really great to get to meet more of you guys (and girls)  :)

I love the way you think my man, we need more people who are really committed to make our community stronger and bigger. So I am there with you.

As for the time, early afternoon sounds good to me.
 Ghandi

Offline C.T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Kailua Pillboxes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
I suppose the disconnect comes from our different use of the term "conditioning". And now that I think deeper about it, just about everything that we do in parkour (i.e. vaults, flips (not parkour, but you get the idea), pushups, Q.M., etc.) can be considered conditioning, in the sense that it's training your body for doing parkour at a later time.  See I'm already learning from the way you guys do things haha.

With the bigger community in Chicago, and with people coming from all over so they would sometimes show up hours after we started, it was mostly impractical to do a large warm-up before-hand, even if it was a gauntlet. I'm definitely open to incorporating some group conditioning into the beginning though, or maybe even the end if it's more practical based on when people show up. And I definitely don't want to scare people off due to the lack of structure haha.  Thanks for the advice Ozzi.

So unless anyone has any objections, I'd like the first one to be this Saturday (October 10th) at 1:00.  I know that the guards here like to go on power trips with the $5.00 parking (not entrance) fee, so where would be the easiest place for people to meet?

turtlekarma

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »
if you meet up by BUSAD there's lots of residential parking in that area, so would be easier for people driving there to find free parking. 

Offline C.T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Kailua Pillboxes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:08:11 PM »
Alright. Some people might take the bus as well, but they should be fine with walking since taking the bus requires walking regardless :) So the coordinates are 21.301170, -157.819916, and you can search that in Google maps. Zoom in all the way on the green arrow and you'll see it. It's the second level patio of the BUSAD building. I'll be somewhere up there, doing cats and stretching and stuff. Meeting time at 1 o'clock, and we'll hang around until 1:30 for anyone running late. I'll be happy with 3 people forever, but I hope more come eventually haha. Unless there are any qyestions, I'll see you all on Saturday :)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »
C.T, seeing as the jam is next day, I rather stay home and do some more chill stuff, it is hard for me to go light at UH. To much to do.
 Ghandi

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »
Hehe, I won't be there, from what I heard about it I'd go a bit crazy... okay more than a bit. But I'll try and make it the second time so like.... um... 17?
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline C.T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Kailua Pillboxes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 12:50:24 AM »
Definitely the 17th and beyond, hope to see you there man.

I'm also gonna be showing some new spots that I've been looking at, and I might try to put up some pics sometime in the next couple days. If I do I'll post them here for continuity, and then I'll repost them wherever they're supposed to be.

Sorry to hear that you're not gonna make you two; I'll see you on sunday Ozzi. Btw thanks for the sticky and transplant.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
Post them on the hot spots section, there are two thread about UH already.
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 06:45:08 PM »
sorry I couldn't come C.T... I just realized how much studying I need to do, I should be able to come next week though.  I'll give you a call when i'm on the way tom.  make sure you bring change of clothes/ towel cause we're very likely to get dirty and I don't wanna have to clean my car too much.  probably a snack as well cause we'll be out there for a while.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »
Let us know how it went and if you got any pics of vid bro.
 Ghandi

Offline C.T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Kailua Pillboxes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »
The jam went really well. One of my friends from the dorm came to try it, Conner, and Keith (freshman at Punahou) came, so that was cool. There's some video, but I'll release it in my sampler, because there isn't enough to make a full video, and most of the time we were too busy to filim haha. It was a pretty tame jam though, mostly because I was going over the basics with Conner and working flow with Keith, but we also paced ourselves for tomorrow's jam (well, neither one of them is gonna make it, but I paced myself). We went to the back of the BUSAD building first, and then worked our way on a diagonal path to Bilger, and used the 2 courtyards and the handicap ramp there. On the way we stopped by Saunders, which has some great spots surrounding it for rails and Phil Doyles. All in all, it was a great jam, even though there were only 3 of us plus one spectator.  I'm very confident in the community power of these jams, and we all pushed each other and supported each other, even if someone said, "no, I can't do it." Come and join us next week, it's a blast.

Offline JulesFox

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
This jam is still going on and it's a lot of fun! Hope to see more of you come out to UH!

Offline Stacie

• Patas
  • Holy [insert witty word or phrase here], Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 03:40:59 PM »
Hey, what time is this thing on Saturdays? I might be able to tag along. Sounds like a lot of fun. ^.^
"Do NOT...eat that. It is a poisonous...magicpie!"

Nos0323

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »
awww i would go so i can meet people before i wanna get taught and helped out but i can only go on mondays, wednesdays, or fridays from 3pm-6/7pm

turtlekarma

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
these jams resume this sat...most likely same time same meet up place.  Check here before you go to make sure.