Author Topic: Landing height.  (Read 15214 times)

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Landing height.
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:14:52 AM »
Recently I've noticed that I can barely take any drops from height without having to roll.  Are there any ways to make it easier to take landings from higher without having to roll?

Offline SyK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Need to find someone close...
    • View Profile
Re: Landing height.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:26:06 AM »
start low and work ur way up, like 2-3' ledges and do that every day until u feel u handle it flawlessly then move up a foot or so. Also when u land make sure ur legs dont bend past 90 degrees, if they do then the height is to high and ur pounding ur leg tissue at the knee and yeah... thats bad ;D. building up more leg stregth might help too
Look at him, square, the shape of EVIL!!!

Offline Strydzz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 11:52:07 AM »
 I would defenitely build up your leg strength before taking drops that are taller than yourself. I would not even take drops that are heigher than 4 feet till you get your legs in shape. It is very important to get your legs good and strong, because this will prevent injury in the future. I would recomend doing jump-squats and regular squats to begin with. Our legs are built to carry us for very long distances and make up around 60% of your body. Because of this, it takes harder work to build up your legs becasue the muscles are bigger than any other in your body. I would find a pic-nic bench and jump off of that, and when you land try to concentrate on making as little sound as possible. This will create an overall body awearness, and strenghten your legs!! Good luck, and I hope I have helped!!
I live in the now, tomorrow does't exist to me. I live to die happy.

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 12:26:56 PM »
Thanks man, I'll definatly take your advice ;D

Offline bocmaxima

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Sound Ramblinga
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »
Is there a general height in which you should always roll, or is that a personal ability/opinion? I am just starting, so I am rolling after I jump off 3 foot high things, mainly to drill, but it feels better in general.

Offline Strydzz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 03:05:36 PM »
If you don't feel comfortable with landing without a roll that is ok! It is better to roll anyway, it will save your joints in the long run. A lot of new comers that I have trained with often think they can take big drops without a roll bc they simpley don't know how to roll properly. BIG MISTAKE! So I would recomend rolling as much as you can (the roll is considered one of the most important 'moves' in PK), bc if you can roll correctly, once you start to progress to larger heights, your roll will be well tuned. But still be sure to strenghten those legs, bc that is very important for PK!
I live in the now, tomorrow does't exist to me. I live to die happy.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 04:29:19 PM »
start low and work ur way up, like 2-3' ledges and do that every day until u feel u handle it flawlessly then move up a foot or so.

Thanks, Syk. Does anyone else have advice on a progression of heights for training? Just getting started, what height would be good to start from? Then how much to move up after how much time?

For that matter, what about heights for basic landings vs. heights for rolls?

I jumped (haha...) into this too fast before, starting drops of 5~6 feet right off the bat. I plan on avoiding that the next time.
less talk; less prep; less think; more do

Offline Casper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 06:16:34 PM »
If you start taking high jumps before conditioning, your ankles and knees will get sore beyond belief. In fact, they won't be sore, they will just plain hurt. Therefore, I recommend working on knee/ankle strength a great deal. Squats probably help the most for building up overall leg strength for landings, as your quadraceps absorb the majority of the impact.  It is also extremely important to have loose joints and muscles before you start practicing your landings. I recommend a warm-up run, followed by a good long stretch. ANKLE ROLLS WORK MIRACLES. DO NOT SKIP THEM.
Stairs are for Squares.

You can hide, but you can't run!

Offline gmpianoman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 06:40:54 PM »
Quadrecept strength and knee strength, also work on technique.  Take it easy and don't rush it.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »
I've never had problems with large drops. Of course i make a point not to do uneccasary ones. But they just never really seemed to bother me. I have more trouble with the agility things. But the way i did it was just not be scared. It was hard for me to roll properly at 3 feet. But once i did it at 6 i was forced to roll right. And i did.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline gmpianoman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 02:14:14 PM »
You shouldn't be rolling off of a 3 foot drop....

Offline colin jensen

• Patas
  • Free or Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 03:57:23 PM »
instead of rolling bend down (not past 90 degrees) and slap the ground. dont actually like bitch slap it but give it a tap. thats what i do and it helped me.
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

The universe may not always play fair, but atleast it has one hell of a sense of humor.

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 04:00:42 PM »

Actually it is acceptable to be rolling off of any sized drop, as long as you find it comfortable.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 05:23:15 PM »
Umm, yeah. I didn't really find it comfortable. I was just using it to learn how to roll. (Months ago). But it didn't feel right so i quit doing it and just went up. I couldn't learn to roll until i was doing it at at least 5 feet. That's all i was trying to say.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline gmpianoman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 04:03:55 PM »

Actually it is acceptable to be rolling off of any sized drop, as long as you find it comfortable.

No, because it's not effecient, I could practically step off a 3 foot drop.  Comfortability has nothing to do with it.

And thanks for the clarification Cyanide. ;)

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 10:02:53 PM »
if you are running full speed off of something three feet high then it is entirely possible that you'll feel it necessary to roll. the forward movement can make any other kind of landing slow you down. an alternative to rolling when coming off something say 3 feet high is doing a ground level vault to let your arms lower yourself with keeping your stride.

as far as building up height with your training, thats worthless. theres not much reason to train at drops higher than your head, if that. im a strong supporter of the "no jumping your first year" rule. dont think that if you've trained for a few months that you can match the technique of people who have trained longer than you've been alive.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline gmpianoman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 09:25:25 AM »
I disagree.  There is no instance in which your legs/knees should not be able to hold you up in a continous run from a 3 foot drop to the point where you HAVE to roll.  It's completely unnecesary and just plain stupid.  Now if you Jump a good 11 feet from the 3 feet drop, then yes you should roll, but for just running off, no.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »

No, because it's not effecient, I could practically step off a 3 foot drop.  Comfortability has nothing to do with it.

And thanks for the clarification Cyanide. ;)

You should do three-foot drops in both lands and rolls for the first year.  No greater than five foot drops.  You need to CONDITION your body for these things.  You need the technique to be down perfectly.  Otherwise, you're not going to be in this for very long at all.  And even if your technique's perfect, that doesn't mean your muscles are.  If your muscles aren't conditioned, if your tendons and ligaments around your knees and ankles aren't conditioned, then even with perfect technique, you're still causing a lot of stress on your body every time you land.

Danno of PKTO was on a machine that calculated drop force in terms of pounds.  He did a sloppy land from one foot up.  He got around 500lbs worth of force going down into his legs.  He then did a perfect Parkour land from one foot.  He still got roughly 250 pounds of downward force.  Landing from three feet, you're going to be getting around 350-400 lbs.  It's something that our legs can handle, sure.  But even with perfect lands, going higher means more force going to your knees.  If your muscles can't handle it, then it doesn't matter HOW good your landing technique is.  Or your rolling technique.  (Rolls disperse the downward force much more.)

Too many traceurs think big before they are prepared for it.  They don't even want to try to take things slowly.  But if you want to keep doing this twenty years from now, you'll need to play it smart.  You're not going to feel the effects, now.  But it's happening.  Slowly, but surely.  And in a decade or two of continuous training... I mean, EVENTUALLY, doing what you're doing, your muscles will get stronger to compensate, but if your joints are damaged already, then they'll keep gettign damaged.

David Belle underwent very specific training for doing jumps and lands.  There aren't many disciplines or sports out there that have you train for that kind of thing.  Even with a strong background in other things, you may not have developed the right muscles.  It will give you an upperhand, though.  But just because you might be safer than others because of your background doesn't mean that you should be telling others to practice unsafely.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline gmpianoman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 12:06:22 PM »
Rolls =/= 3 feet.  Sorry, even in the first year(unless you are like 8 years old or something :-\)

Go get a tape measurer, extend it to 3 feet.  You want to roll off that?  You'll most likely do more damage to your back trying to roll off that in your first year than you would ever even get close to doing to your knees.  5 feet is understandable, but 3 feet?!  Sorry, I just can't imagine that being effecient or neccesary.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 02:05:21 PM »
Rolls =/= 3 feet.  Sorry, even in the first year(unless you are like 8 years old or something :-\)

Go get a tape measurer, extend it to 3 feet.  You want to roll off that?  You'll most likely do more damage to your back trying to roll off that in your first year than you would ever even get close to doing to your knees.  5 feet is understandable, but 3 feet?!  Sorry, I just can't imagine that being effecient or neccesary.

When you roll, it's assumed you're jumping forward a good deal.  Otherwise, there isn't enough momentum to constitute a roll.  From any height, it's fine so long as you jump properly.  You seem to think we're talking about jumping straight down.  Why would you ever roll from a straight drop?
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia