Author Topic: Overcome fear?  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Yow

• Patas
    • View Profile
Overcome fear?
« on: September 27, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »
So I was thinking on how fear is driving me from doing most of the movements or at least trying them. I can't even risk on doing the kong vault for the fear of hitting my feet and me falling over. Any tips on how to overcome fear?

Offline jakelakecake

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Overcome fear?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:02:40 PM »
     I just started training today.  I know I have a long way to go, and I am excited to develop my body and mind as the years go on.  I dealt with a lot of fear issues today as well, and maybe I can help.  Practice the things you are scared of in an environment where injuries are less likely.  Like rolls on carpet, jumping from one curb to another.  When you know you can make the jump/vault/etc without getting hurt, it's much easier to tie that in to your routine, and you push it farther and farther, always knowing that you have practiced it and can do it.
     Another thing that may help is knowing that the human body is an extremely resilient machine.  We are so scared of hurting ourselves, but it turns out it's actually pretty hard to do.  You may get some scraped knees, you may break a finger or two.  But in the long run it will heal, and you will know that you had the f#cking cajones to attempt what most people in the world never will. 

p.s. get health insurance, it works wonders knowing that you can pay for anything that might happen!

Offline Blankenship

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:21:04 PM »
I was afraid to do the kong so I would jump over a rail with both hands from a standing postion and swing my legs over trying to get them close to my hands until I was able to do a kong. I dont know if that makes sense.
The Soulless have something to strive for, do you?

turtlekarma

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:51:02 PM »
Just Do It...lol nah but seriously most of the time when people gotta bail, it's cause they don't commit.  Give a good old warrior yell and do what you know that you can do.  Check out Ozzi's tutorials on Urban Current Clan's youtube channel.....they've got a pretty good progression feel to them so you don't have to throw a scary move all at once. 

Offline Joshua Hall

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »
Well for me, i learned how to get the kong vault right by starting to do it on a tiny wall maybe 2 feet high, then just worked my way up. general rule for parkour is start small then work your way up. if you are sketchy about doing a move, i.e. you are too scared to try a kong over a rail, find something smaller that you would be comfortable trying the move over, without much risk of hurting yourself, then when you get the technique down, move up to something slightly bigger. ;D
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail. -random magnet on my fridge. :P

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 11:08:20 AM »
ok my teammember had the same problem. he could kong tables but not rails. (try a table it may help) after a month of coaxing and encouragement along with some critiques in his technique he got it. just try it once on a few different objects get the feel of it and then think how you could do the movement better then go for it. im not saying start withsomething uncomfortable, but sometimes thats what it takes.
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

Offline Yow

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »
Well I don't have any mats or carpets at my disposal. I'll check kong tutorials and all to memorize each movement and then hopefully I'll be able to do it. I can do a monkey vault easily but I can't make myself jump to the kong vault. :-\

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:15:48 AM »
work on dives because a kong your diving then at the end when your closing in on the table you push up with your hands. or atleast thats how i do it

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »
Take a look at this. I think it relates to your issue. ;)

"Know Thyself"

The Matrix is a very popular movie, in fact it's hard to find a youth who hasn't seen it. But who knew that so much meaning lies behind those corny punchlines and extravagant action scenes? Who knew that the movie embodied the entire philosophy and purpose of Parkour? Who knew?

One scene in particular sticks out to traceurs. The roof-jumping scene. Sound familiar? Morpheus takes Neo into a training program and challenges him to jump hundreds of feet across to another roof. Neo pumps himself up and goes for the jump… but falls. Why?

If Neo is "the One," which we find out later in the film for a fact, why could he not make the jump? It's simple. He did not have the knowledge that he could.

This reflects our Parkour philosophy perfectly. How is it that we free our minds and unlock our mental barriers? We cannot just hope that we will land on that rail. We must know we will. Knowledge comes from experience. It must be gained personally through progressional steps. The experience is what teaches us, and makes us sure.

Take this as an example. If I ask you to jump off a 3 foot ledge, do you know with reasonable certainty what is going to happen? Almost everyone can agree that they know what will happen. Their knees will bend about 20 degrees, and they will absorb the shock fairly well and land upright. Now what if I ask you to jump from 25 feet onto grass. Do you know what will happen? Very few do know what will happen. Maybe our knees will snap, maybe our ankles will break, or maybe we'll roll out of it and be okay. Our experience has not given us knowledge on what will happen. For that reason, it's not a smart idea, unless you want to end up looking like Neo, sprawled out on the cement.

In the scene with the Oracle, Neo is shown a sign above the door that says "Know thyself." That simple statement is what it all comes down to. We must know ourselves. We must know our capabilities. We must know what we can and cannot do. It is that knowledge that will allow us to advance our skills and capabilities. It is only through self-knowledge that we can find our true selves. The kind of self that is capable of everything we dream of.

In the Matrix, it is knowledge that unlocks Neo's ability. As soon as he knows the full truth about the Matrix, and is no longer a doubting Thomas (Mr. Thomas Anderson), Neo finds himself capable of anything. This power is not outside our reach. To advance our skills, we must gain knowledge of those skills.

So what am I saying. That when you have knowledge, you can dodge bullets? No. I'm saying that when you know bullets are coming… you won't have to.

By
Adam McC
Lehigh Valley Parkour
Urban Current

"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
i loved that post ;D read it the other day

"free-ur mind" morphious

Offline Yow

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 12:13:12 PM »
Very true. I kind of forget that parkour takes years of practice and for me it is only the beginning. I get frustrares with myself because I think I should be able to do it but I need to remember that patience and practice is the key

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 01:02:45 PM »
When trying to do the kong, first start by putting your hands on the end of the table and then getting your feet on the table by jumping and pushing off with your arms. Experiment a little. After doing that for awhile try joggin a few feet towards the table then jump, place your hands on the table, then place your feet on the table, sorta like a failed kong. Keep doing this and gradually go make your jumps so you land farther on the table. Eventually your feet won't even have to touch the table. And as you get better and better you'll be able to dive more and farther.
Just look at the Ozzi's tutorial, don't know why I tried to explain that lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXH7FHfMCH0
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

Offline Yow

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 06:30:22 PM »
Oh man that is nice! I gotta try this tomorrow! Thanks for the video, saw a tutorial a while ago but wasn't too helpful

Offline Blankenship

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »
Yeah since this has to do with fear, mine is the wall spin. It looks scary as heck to try because Im afraid that Im going to land on my neck.

Offline Yow

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »
Yeah that too. I really want to do flips and such but for now I'll start with the basics.

Offline Blankenship

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 07:18:22 AM »
Is there a basic to doing a wall spin or is it just go out and try it.

Offline Yow

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:13 PM »
I am not entirely sure. Someone told me it is like a cartwheel close to the wall without using your arms at all. I can't do it yet because of the rear I will not make the spin and land on my neck

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
Wall spins are pretty advanced. Learn how to palm spin perfectly first before you even consider a wall spin. Once again, look up urban currents palm spin tutorial if you want to learn it in steps.
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

Offline Yow

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 12:51:07 PM »
Yeah I've seen tutorials and all. I just don't know why I can't make myself do it.

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 12:55:21 PM »
Yeah I've seen tutorials and all. I just don't know why I can't make myself do it.
I'm talking about the palmspin not the wallspin. Learn to palmspin, then learn to wallspin.
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount