Author Topic: Winter Training  (Read 14463 times)

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
Winter Training
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »
Just wondering what you guys will be doing for winter training, because in Minnesota, training outside is pretty much out of the question. Everything's icy, 0 degree weather, not to mention all the snow covering everything.
So where do you guys train in winter? Do you go to St. Paul on a Sunday and train in all those empty quiet buildings(all the buildings are deserted on a Sunday)? Do you train only in a gymnasium? Do you stop working on parkour techniques and work mostly on conditioning to be strong for next spring(I personally want to get parkour and conditioning in winter).
This has been a big concern of mine so any advice would be great.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:37:45 AM by Scared Doggy »
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

Offline Nicholas Schiebel

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Training
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »
Actually, I practice my flips in the snow.

Also, I still try to go out for a jog whenever I feel like it, which is like everyday.

Just avoid trying big stuff or finesse stuff and you'll be fine outside.
Integrity First Service Before Self Excellence in All We Do
Into The Blue

Offline Harry Smith

• What's up Andrew?
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »
Actually, I practice my flips in the snow.

Just avoid trying big stuff or finesse stuff and you'll be fine outside.
aren't flips finesse stuff? :P

Either way that's actually a good idea. I would also like to add if you train bring gloves because who really wants frost bite?

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »
I realize I'm a bit spoiled because I work at a gymnastics school, but I highly recommend training in a gym at least every once in a while to keep your skills up a bit.  Personally I try to use the winter as a time for some serious weight lifting as well.  I've been doing bodybuilding for about 6 years now and have found it's a great help to be strong when I'm out doing PK.  I try to pass off snowboarding as balance training as well...but it's really just a lot of fun.

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:53:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm definitely doing weight lifting this winter. I did it last winter too and it's made me much stronger. I'm also probably going to be doing some kickboxing this winter.
I'm not sure about getting to a gym for parkour, but what's you outlook on some practice indoors? Such as malls, big empty buildings in St. Paul? I don't want to mess with authority figures, but like I said, many big buildings in St. Paul are empty during the winter.
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

Offline Joseph S

• Patas
  • Blissfully wed to a derby skater who likes Parkour
    • View Profile
    • Geek Physique
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:47:18 PM »
I'll second the gymnasium advice for winter.  Maybe Chad will organize a Parkour ski/board trip to Afton and get us a group rate?  I did a roll once.  Caught my toe on the outside edge, and rolled right back onto my board.  My friends gave me a round of applause for that one, from my skier friends.
The only advice I can contribute is to make an effort to organize all your business trips to the West Coast to be in the winter, and then meet up with the Parkour crowd while you travel.  Well, that, and parking ramps tend to be pretty dry.  If they are clear, you can work on most surfaces when they are cold, just remember one really, really important thing: frozen dirt is a lot like solid rock.
"Age is a constant reminder that nothing is accomplished without a routine."

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:45:09 AM »
I train outside during the winter. FTI:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGH5hI1eDHw,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_e2fq9d-hk, I also go to the gymnastic center in town.

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:31:37 AM »
Some kid at my school is starting a 'parkour club' and has gotten access to the gymnastics room, so I'll be using that this year, if I get the time :D

And yes, flips are finesse, but I work on landing them first, and when the snow melts, I work on perfecting them.
Into The Blue

Offline mospunk

• Patas
  • Matt M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »
You gonna let a little cold and snow stop you?

http://www.whiteparkourvideo.com/

Train safe, play hard, and dream of flight.

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 01:12:48 PM »
Ya know, having a bit of difficulty comprehending this. So many people on this forum are crazy for safety, yet I'm being told to train outside where everything is slicked with ice.
I suppose I'll try it though. This is my first winter doing parkour in case you didn't know.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:20:16 PM by Scared Doggy »
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

MeKa360

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
Some kid at my school is starting a 'parkour club' and has gotten access to the gymnastics room, so I'll be using that this year, if I get the time :D

And yes, flips are finesse, but I work on landing them first, and when the snow melts, I work on perfecting them.

hmm.....      lol can i join?  ( or is it a school thing?)
the one in eagan  is a bit out of reach  ,  when it comes to traveling

As for the snow,   i havnt learned how to do flips yet  so thats what im waiting for.

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 06:34:10 AM »

hmm.....      lol can i join?  ( or is it a school thing?)
the one in eagan  is a bit out of reach  ,  when it comes to traveling

As for the snow,   i havnt learned how to do flips yet  so thats what im waiting for.

I dunno, I'll see.

As for flips, be careful not to land on your head.
Into The Blue

Offline Ryan Kirk

• Patas
  • Formerly Ultimatealive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
Howdy,

It seems like there might be a bit of a disconnect here between the question and many of the responses.  Scared Doggy, I would have this to say about winter training.

First of all, the gyms are a great idea.  Chad runs excellent programs there and the winter is a good time to hit him up if you want to develop new techniques or refine old ones.  There is some merit to training inside, but often is more likely to cause damage that we're trying to avoid.  If you find a good spot though where its respectful to be practicing, then I would encourage you.

However, I would also encourage training outside.  It is icy and conditions are much different, but there are a lot of useful skills to be learned.  Safety always comes first and you are right to point that out.  At the same time, if you are looking at parkour as a tool for being useful (as I do) then one must be prepared to use it at all times and in all conditions.  If that is to be so, one should practice outside during the winter.  However, I would caution you to be exceptionally cautious about knowing your surroundings.  While in the summer you can kong over any short wall without much fear, in the winter I would strongly recommend checking the other side first to make sure you have a clear landing.  There are some added risks with the environment, but by being careful you can still work on all of your skills over the winter.

Hope this helps sir

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult."
--E. B. White--

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »

This link just made my week. I've been training for 6 months now, so my first winter is fast approaching. I fully intended to practice outside, but was feeling nervous about it. That really steeled my nerves. Very, very much appreciated.
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

MeKa360

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 08:38:39 AM »

This link just made my week. I've been training for 6 months now, so my first winter is fast approaching. I fully intended to practice outside, but was feeling nervous about it. That really steeled my nerves. Very, very much appreciated.

hell yeah.  lol  Minnesota winter  is probally the harshest  winter in the  U.S
we gonna show them how its done,   screw just practicing flips
im going  to perform the impossible

Offline Joseph S

• Patas
  • Blissfully wed to a derby skater who likes Parkour
    • View Profile
    • Geek Physique
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 10:44:52 AM »
Ok, that WhiteParkour video was stunning.  If anyone has a sled, I'm up for being on the team that pulls on all fours, that looked really fun!  I noticed how they used the lack of traction as part of their movement, which I found novel.  Let's all keep our agility up while the temperatures go down, no matter where we train.
"Age is a constant reminder that nothing is accomplished without a routine."

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 06:36:02 AM »
Which is what I'm doing.

Daily jogs, flips in the snow, and dive rolls everywhere.

winters gonna be fun :D
Into The Blue

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 11:04:32 AM »
Which is what I'm doing.

gona be fun, ;D but i have to convince my team to train in the cold, lazyasses [WTF]
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 11:34:26 AM »
Which is what I'm doing.

gona be fun, ;D but i have to convince my team to train in the cold, lazyasses [WTF]

Pointy sticks and tazers are great forms of motivation :D
Into The Blue

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »
Well, after reading all of your feedback and watching that inspiring winter parkour vid, I decide I will definitely practice parkour in the winter with regularity. I'm no long terrified because I will train creatively, yet safely.
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount