Author Topic: Project B.A.R.F. - The New Underground  (Read 4318 times)

Offline b2c

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Project B.A.R.F. - The New Underground
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:27:36 PM »

Greetings people, I do, like many of you,

appreciate the comforts of the everyday routine, the security of the familiar,

the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any fellow.

But with Parkour on the verge of becoming mainstream,

we face a certain truth, Parkour will no longer be an underground sport.

If you are satisfied with conformity,

i advise you to ignore this message and continue on with your day.

However, if you feel as i feel, and if you seek as i seek,

then i ask you to stand with me, at http://projectbarf.ning.com/ ,

and together, we shall give a flight that shall never be forgot!

If you are man enough for Rage Froobling action, sign up, we are recruiting!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:37:43 PM by b2c »

Offline BlazingHawk

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Project B.A.R.F. - The New Underground
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »
dammit i wont parkour to be a underground sport still
"RUN FOREST RUN"

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
 :o   ;D

Love or hate Rage Froobling, when with friends its a lot o fun.  If you remember, Benny was the one who submitted the vid of him catching the BART train in the APK Practical PArkour contest which there was a lot of positive comments on.  Join Benny's RF movement!

Just remember, if its not "underground" anymore, you'll be considered "old school"  8)
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:20:34 PM »
Just remember, if its not "underground" anymore, you'll be considered "old school"  8)

I love that title with any activity.

Parkour is, and always has been, for everyone. I like to think of its mainstream emergence as a re-introduction to how we're supposed to move.
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »
This kinda looks like spam to me...
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline Alex B

• Mangabey
  • Find your own path.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
lets put it this way: you can't stop parkour from becoming mainstream. You will just be an underground group of traceurs. But parkour will still be common. Every underground activity has some sort of not-underground (I dont say common or mainstream because it isnt always true) counterpart. except maybe the illegal things that are all underground

also, do you really want to call your underground group project BARF?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:49:40 PM by berky93 »
It's not about showing off. It's about movement and passion and freedom. It's about giving yourself the ability to reach farther and higher, to go anywhere you please. It's about living without boundaries.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
People said it was mainstream 6 years ago  :P

oh, and I'm not sure if this type of advertising is allowed, so I will temporarily lock it until I get a few admins to look at it. Sorryz!
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline b2c

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »
lets put it this way: you can't stop parkour from becoming mainstream. You will just be an underground group of traceurs.

also, do you really want to call your underground group project BARF?

Exactly, theres no way to stop it now, its too late for "parkour". that is why some of us will choose to do Rage Froobling.

dont argue its the same as parkour, cause its not, it says so on the website! lawl.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
What I'm really excited about is to see all the stages of a how a sport comes to be ("sport" here used as a general term). It's pretty damn awesome. Part of it appears to involve those who fight "growth" when it looks like it will really get a lot more exposure.

EDIT: what are you trying to protect anyway?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:19:41 PM by Alec Furtado »
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 09:18:57 PM »
Because I like the musical style so much, I use it in comparison mode...now!

The idea that parkour was/is underground reminds me of grunge and alternative music in the early 90's. Before Nirvana broke the scene wide open in 1991, practically no one knew about it. There were most certainly alternative rock groups before Nirvana, the one-shot Temple of the Dog comes to mind, but Nirvana, along with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and several others, made it HUGE. Now parkour is poised to take a similar route.

Some hate it because it means that parkour has lost some of its luster. It's becoming saturated, no longer selective and private. Cobain hated the idea of his music, art, and style becoming mainstream and "tarnished," so much so that it eventually played a large part in his suicide. I dearly hope that no one goes that far in protesting the expansion of parkour; it's just a thought.

Expanding parkour's image will lead to setbacks. People will join for the wrong reasons, corporate will cash in even further, etc. But it will also produce many advantages as well, such as an increase in good, reliable information, amazing practicioners, and so on. If Nirvana had never made it big, hordes of incredible bands would have never had their chance. We could still be listening to 80's synthesizer pop right now without them. (No offense to anybody who likes 80's pop haha)

Change is coming. In many ways it's already here. What you do with that change, how you handle it, is your choice. Some will go with it, some will rebel, like here with B.A.R.F. Whatever you choose, it's your path

Yeah, melodramatic musings for a thread that is suspiciously satirical in tone, but you get the point.

Oh, and... VIVA LA REVOLUTION! FROOBLING FOR PRESIDENTE!     
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:26:05 PM by Gabe Arnold »

Offline b2c

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »
What I'm really excited about is to see all the stages of a how a sport comes to be ("sport" here used as a general term). It's pretty damn awesome. Part of it appears to involve those who fight "growth" when it looks like it will really get a lot more exposure.

EDIT: what are you trying to protect anyway?

we are not fighting growth, or "protecting" anything. we are simply going in another direction. that is all.

"ps. if you squint and look real close at the first post, it  does not say "fight" but rather "flight" lol tricky rite?

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »
Okay, can someone explain to me what the hell I'm seeing here? I went to that site, watched the video, and something clicked in my mind that told me "That is extremely F***ed up, who in their right mind would do something like this". It looks like parkour if you took out every aspect of safety. Vaulting a broken fence, falling at least 10 feet with an improper roll, climbing a barbed wire fence.

Am I missing something? Or are these just the attention seekers we DON'T want messing up parkour's good name?
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline b2c

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 11:07:48 PM »
Okay, can someone explain to me what the hell I'm seeing here? I went to that site, watched the video, and something clicked in my mind that told me "That is extremely F***ed up, who in their right mind would do something like this". It looks like parkour if you took out every aspect of safety. Vaulting a broken fence, falling at least 10 feet with an improper roll, climbing a barbed wire fence.

Am I missing something? Or are these just the attention seekers we DON'T want messing up parkour's good name?

RTFM, this is NOT parkour, this is a derivative, called RAGE FROOBLING! the site explains it all!

if you've ever seen the movie fight club, well its not like that, but sort of is. :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:19:20 PM by b2c »

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »
Derivative that seems to have parkour stamped all over it, judging by the fact that SFPK, APK, BAPK, etc. are plastered all over the front page. Also, I would read more about it, but I have to register just to see something other than the front page, which is quite odd, for any website.

On a completely side note

Froobling?!  ???
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline b2c

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 11:41:48 PM »
Derivative that seems to have parkour stamped all over it, judging by the fact that SFPK, APK, BAPK, etc. are plastered all over the front page. Also, I would read more about it, but I have to register just to see something other than the front page, which is quite odd, for any website.

On a completely side note

Froobling?!  ???

the SFPK, APK, AND BAPK links are there for "external resources" as on project barf we do not offer training. as for the registration, i've found that (myself included) nobody would ever register for any site if they could do everything as guest, as i rite? its worth the minute to sigh up, it has lot of good info on there.

ps. the term : "rage froobling" was originally coined by Teige, who made the first ever rage froobling video. im simply continuing, and expanding on what he started.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 07:40:39 AM »
 we are on the brink of an enlightening period.

if parkour is to take off and takes off the way we all want (highly unlikely but, with those posers comes true hearted people) there will be a great realization that people go through.

"holy crap, this feels so natural. i think we were made to move this way guys. lets keep training to see what else we can do!" one day we will live in a world where our kids will no longer be told to stop playing, their minds see the world like an animal does. when they reach a certain age the world whips it out of them.

i never thought about it this way but, i seriously feel main stream will be good for parkour in some respects. i hope the way is spread correctly without misinterpretation, i want my kids to grow up doing parkour. 

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Nicholas Schiebel

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 09:42:52 AM »
Mainstream or not, who cares?

Just go out and run.
Integrity First Service Before Self Excellence in All We Do
Into The Blue

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »
Well I asked about what you're trying to protect, guessing it might be something about avoiding competition and what-not. That would be funny since in RF (does it get an abbreviation now?) is actually competitive and you try to physically impede your opponent from getting somewhere while trying to get their yourself.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Teg made up Rage-froobling as a joke because people were getting too serious about "parkour is THIS and only THIS" and he wanted people to just get out and have fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci6VFNSZt8I

I'm not knocking it, I just like to make sure things are being done for the right reasons (if you're dead serious that is, not just sorta for fun).
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline BlazingHawk

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 03:17:06 PM »
Well I asked about what you're trying to protect, guessing it might be something about avoiding competition and what-not. That would be funny since in RF (does it get an abbreviation now?) is actually competitive and you try to physically impede your opponent from getting somewhere while trying to get their yourself.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Teg made up Rage-froobling as a joke because people were getting too serious about "parkour is THIS and only THIS" and he wanted people to just get out and have fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci6VFNSZt8I

I'm not knocking it, I just like to make sure things are being done for the right reasons (if you're dead serious that is, not just sorta for fun).

RF just looks like a cheep rip off of parkour
"RUN FOREST RUN"

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 03:23:56 PM »
this is ridiculous
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."