Author Topic: UMCP gyms & Starting Strength  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Cameron Scott

• Patas
    • View Profile
UMCP gyms & Starting Strength
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:00:25 AM »
   I'm starting grad school at UMd College Park this Fall and have been learning Parkour this summer through the boot camps at Primal Fitness.  I'm about to finish the second boot camp and am beginning to build my own workout routine.  Up until now I've been looking at bodyweight or MN activities since I don't want to pay for a gym membership, but then I realized I'd probably have "free" access at UMD.
   Based on what I've read on multiple forum threads I'm considering adding Starting Strength to my plan and wondered if 1) the UMD facilities have freeweights that can be used for this (or if there are any requirements for use) and 2) if others in the College Parkour group are already doing this.  Since I've never done any wieghtlifting before I'd benefit from at least a few initial workouts with others to make sure I'm using proper form and such. 
   I plan to come to the Friday jams once the semester begins so can bounce these questions off others then, but figured I'd get a heads up now if possible. (I also joined the FB group, but figured this was a better place for these questions right now).

Offline Yixin (pronounced ee-shin)

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
Re: UMCP gyms & Starting Strength
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:09:44 PM »
Yes, there are plenty of freeweights at UMCP, you can use them as long as the gym's open.

I'll try to find someone who knows how to lift to show you the proper technique.
"Madness.  (Sparta, etc.)"-Graham Hughes

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:03:06 AM »
Work with some of the people at Primal while you're still going to learn the lifts, then when you start at UMCP you'll have a bit of a head start.

Offline ADBooth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:58:42 PM »
I'm interested. When would you start?

Offline Cameron Scott

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:08:08 AM »
I was planning to start today, Monday, Aug 31, but there's a lot going on this week.  I'm familiarizing myself with the different places on campus (at Ritchie Coliseum now) today.  I'll probably try to get a workout in on Wed afternoon.  Probably between 3 and 6pm?

Let me know if you'd like to join me.  I've read through Starting Strength, but lifting is new to me so the first couple weeks are probably going to be pretty slow as I learn correct form and whatnot.  It would be great to have a second person there to spot and to check on form!

You can find me on the "College Parkour!" FB group or shoot me an email. 

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »
Yo dude, I friended you on facebook.

Offline Cameron Scott

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:11:37 AM »
Yo dude, I friended you on facebook.

Got it. 

I'm interested. When would you start?

I think I'm going to try working out at Ritchie Coliseum and they said it is most busy between 3-9pm.  I have class from 9-11am and will be working for a few hours after that so starting before 3 might be hard.  I think I might try to do an early session, starting at 7:15am. 

If I don't make it that early I'll probably shoot for 1pm.  If you plan on catching me in the morning be sure to let me know today since I won't be online until 11am tomorrow.

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »
Give me your phone number, I want to talk to you.

Offline Cameron Scott

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
Sent on FB.