Author Topic: Houston gyms  (Read 12068 times)

Offline Marc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Houston gyms
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:39:04 AM »
Yo. I'm a noobie to the sport of parkour, but I'm desperate to learn the skill. Are there any training facilities in the Houston area, or are there going to be?

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
Re: Houston gyms
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 08:05:39 AM »
Sorry...for waiting to reply to you...School finals and what not.

There are not specific places to sign up for Parkour classes and such.  Although, some gyms will let you go to an adult class or open gym times.  I do not know many gyms in Houston.  Although, I might be able to look some up for you.  Are there any questions about parkour that you would like to address.  We have a clan in Texas is called TEXAS PARKOUR.  I will give you more info later about it.  Although, we have 40 members in it.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Marc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »
Well, I don't really have any Questions about the sport. All my questions have to do with tecnique. I visit Urban Freeflows web page all the time and read how to do stuff, but in order to become good I need to practice. That's where the gyms come into play. It just sucks that all of the parkour shows and Exhibitions are in england.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:31:16 PM »
you can always come down to some of the Jams that we are having.  We are going to have a Gym jam at the beginning of next year.

Although, with much looking I was able to find something pretty cool that you might appreciate.

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/men/2005/m-academic-allam-05.pdf

Offline Jacob Steven Battye

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 06:56:47 PM »
Well i think that i have the same problem. Its mostly with the aerials. I have always wanted to get into gymnastics. Mostly becouse i liked what the people in the olypics do. All that was very interesting to me. But i alwaysed had boy scouts so i really couldn't do it. I hope that will change soon.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 07:07:15 PM »
You can always come down here to Kerrville for a special training at all!  Just tell me when you want to come down and 10$ and I will help you on anything...10$ is for insurance fees.

Offline Marc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 11:59:03 AM »
I would love to do that, but I don't get a license for a month or so. Still after that I don't have the time (or money) to go on a road trip. On the upside , I told a friend of mine of the Urban Freeflow website. He checked it out, and is hooked. He has been in gymnastics for a few years, and has been teaching me gymnastics for a few weeks. He and I are going to team up and practice together. So I think I found someone I can go out running with. However were both noobs, and are in need or instruction. Is Texas parkour having any workshops or jams in the Houston area any time soon so we can attend, if we can(school might be a conflict).

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 10:50:41 PM »
Here is the deal.  TEXAS PARKOUR has a Strict, "you come to an official JAM of TEXAS Parkour before we just go out sending the flock to Houston.  We are planning on taking a trip out there when we do our tour of TEXAS.  That might not be untill the Summer though.  Ok.  Seriously just check out the site post on the boards and it will influince us to come out there.  We will be haveing a GYM jam here probebly in January.  I suggest that you come to it with your friend and we will be able to give you pointers OUT THE WAZOO.

On the upside starting in January.  I will be having some really crazy scheduels that will involve me driving to Houston about once or twice a month.  (gymnastics coach, and meets are in houston) So I might be able to meet up with you guys sometime and do a little PKing.  Sound good?  I hope you guys learn a lot so that we can really go after some good Pk.  Also, Read the boards more...here and on my site.  You have the address if not PM for it.  See ya.

Offline TheineLD50

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 02:07:55 PM »
Can you give me some specific dates?  It would be awesome to be able to train with some experienced people, seeing as I'm a complete newbie.

The Texas section of this forum is pathetically small...  :(  I was hoping for a more active community.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 01:25:33 AM »
You have visited the website now and you will see how much bigger the community is.

Offline Freerunner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:16:27 AM »
marc i'm starting parkour myself and i'm in houston, i'll send you an email.

Offline Marc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »
Hey Matthew Lee Willis. It's me again. Only I'm older now and a lot more experienced in parkour. Here is the deal. I contacted this guy who was working to get Houston Community College to start a parkour program type thing. We are in the final stages of getting this approved. However, the only way we get any type of funding is if this event we have coming up is a success. It is April 16th on the HCC campus. They will be building whatever we want for it; rails, boxes, crash mats. All we have to do is submit a design to the carpenters. We will be giving away free stuff; Shoes (addidas Novas) and shirts. And we will be raffling off some great stuff. And there WILL NOT be any competition. If the event is a hit then they will build a PARKOUR GYM just for our us: and there will even be scholarships. If the event is not a hit, the HCC does nothing, and continues to tell us to "Get off of that!!". What I was wondering is. if you and the guys from Texas Parkour and/or American Parkour could come down and support the first American school looking to make parkour a part of the curriculum. Thank you very much.

Marc

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »
I really wish you would have been able to contact me more and more about this.  I will see what I Can do.  I can not be there because of work and school being that day also being the week before a huge performance that I am involved in.  I wish you the best of luck.  Contact me at txpkmatthew@gmail.com so that I can work out specifics with you.

First of all GREAT JOB.  You are doing great with the sponcers and getting a campus just totally envolved.  This could be the start of many campus' getting into the spirit.  Right this up on the national jams to see if anyone can come.  Remember this totally depends on you and your group to get this out there!  POSTERS everywhere! Media calls, radio stations etc.  Get people to come.  Houston Chronical is behind Texas Parkour so, they might remember us and give you some media coveage as well.  For more specifics email me.

Offline Calvin52

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 10:30:21 AM »
Sup,

It's Calvin from the FSW Facebook Site.  We'll do our best to be there.  Supporting Houston and a possible Gym is a high priorety for us. 

Just post any extra info on here or hopefully we'll see it around the city.  We have a very small tight knit group so hopefully everyone will come, however, we will do what we can to spread the word. 

Oh, and one question.  What will HCC's policy on gym use be for non-Students?  Just wondering.

Thanks,
Calvin Silver

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 10:45:15 PM »
Hey man, thanks for gettin in there Calvin and stepping up.  Support your community.  WOOT!

Offline Marc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 01:25:21 AM »
Alright guys, bad news. The legal department turned us down. Everyone else was on board even the dean, but who ever pitched the idea to them showed them some really scary videos. Videos of roof jumping and trespassing, and the legal department said no way. However we have not given up. We have a few idea's up our sleeves on how to get the legal department to see that it's not that scary after all. And if anyone has an idea please share it with us. I'll be checking this thread frequently.
So needless to say the April 16th event is no more. We are going to try to set up another event on at a later date. I'll keep everyone updated here.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 07:41:18 AM »
Thats to bad man.  I was really rooting for you guys.  Something that could happen is that the university could sponsor this club to go to a gymnastics facility.  If it is a true RSO, they you can allot for money.  They were thinking about building a place, why not just pay for you to train as a club.  Then after a year or so they can hand it over to you guys to pay rental fees out of fund raising.  Just an Idea.  Also, bring up the fact that anyone associated with your organization will sign releases saying that the facility will be the only place you will engage in this activity.  Waivers always help.  Good luck man.

Offline Marc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »
Thanks man I will pitch your idea's to my contact. It just sucks that legality became the reason our hopes and dreams were crushed. The bright side is that my contact has already got a new plan in the works. I don't have any details but when I know you'll know. Thanks for the support. Parkour is coming to houston one way or another.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 06:03:27 PM »
GREAT to hear it.  I will be there to help you guys out in whichever way we can.  So will Texas Parkour.  If you go to www.texasparkour.com there was a guy that was new and needed some help.  Maybe you can get his name and contact him.

Offline Marc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
Hey, That gym jam in kerville. I might have some guys down in H town wanting to go. We need some more info about it though? like entrance fee's, starting times and stuff. plus if there's anyone in houston that wants to go we need more carpoolers.