Author Topic: hand calluses  (Read 9109 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
hand calluses
« on: July 15, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »
I just ripped my hands open, so I'm looking for sites on hand calluses.

http://www.beastskills.com/calluses.htm

I've had several people ask me about removing calluses from the hands. If you're doing a lot of gymnastics, weightlifting,  grip training, or hand balancing (my 4 favorite hobbies) then calluses are an inevitability. They raise up and start to get pinched and can eventually rip off. This is a bit painful and a pain to deal with during training. Let me show you what to do to take care of things before you're leaving quarter size chunks of skin on the gym floor.

He uses warm water, a DULL butter knife, a pumice stone and a towel to remove the dead skin as it builds up.

Ok. Well it's too late for me. I'll keep looking.

If anyone has any ideas -- NOT the usual local way of "Oh, brah, lemme pee on dat fo you" let me know.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Re: hand calluses
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:33:48 PM »
 I use this roll of tape that is for that purpose. You can use duct tape, the ideal is to keep them moist 24/7. If you do that it will heal within a week (thin layer of still new, tender yet no raw skin) I have gone with some of those 3 days before they fall of. Shower and all.

Most people let them heal by themselves, but they just crack and are a pain. Water resistance (small) aid bands also help. 

For prevention what he mentions sounds like it could work. I use fingernails clippers after the shower. I clip around it, making a full circle, then pill it.

Whatever you do G, keep those suckah moisturized. 
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:48:35 PM »
Well, a bit of a makeshift variant, My calluses were getting huge and I had no tools, and I thought it would be pretty likely the day's activities would tear them off (There was already a little tearing on one hand, not bad though).

I stuck my hands in a bucket of rain water for a few minutes, till it was nice and soft, then I poured some of it on the concrete sidewalk I was sitting on. Then I rubed my hands on the sidewalk. Worked great
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 10:02:07 AM »
I read of weight lifters who'd superglue them back down. Other people recommend vitamin E to speed healing. Triple antibiotic cream, but rub it in so skin can breathe.

Prevention: Use chalk for lifting, etc. Clip or file them regularly.

I washed them out, and band-aid-ed them. Looks like one is re-attaching, but the other two are flapping. Didn't bandage my palm, cause that was small and got completely ripped off.

Stupid thing - my wife gave me some of that antibac alcohol gel stuff. Without thinking I rubbed my hands together. Some got under the band-aids.  :o

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:44:07 PM »
Got these bad boys yesterday.

And another one on my left hand
This is what I use. Stays pretty good even for a few days. Depending on manual labor of course.

Very flexible and sticky.

And this is what I do.

Ill post some pics in a week and well see the diff.
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »
Yep. Mine's mirror image - 2 on the left hand, one on the right.

Offline ManiacKevin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
Ha, you guys are all so elaborate, I just rip them off and deal with the pain. It is almost impossible to stick a band aid on them so I just keep Training with them exposed.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »
Ya, well not everybody can be as tough as you ;D
You're right tho about band-aids not working. I finally just trimmed the flaps off with a small pointy scissors.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:29:28 PM by Gregg »

cranialpk

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:17:09 AM »
I read of weight lifters who'd superglue them back down. Other people recommend vitamin E to speed healing. Triple antibiotic cream, but rub it in so skin can breathe.

Prevention: Use chalk for lifting, etc. Clip or file them regularly.

I washed them out, and band-aid-ed them. Looks like one is re-attaching, but the other two are flapping. Didn't bandage my palm, cause that was small and got completely ripped off.

Stupid thing - my wife gave me some of that antibac alcohol gel stuff. Without thinking I rubbed my hands together. Some got under the band-aids.  :o

ive tried the super glue one, but it doesnt always work. one time i used super glue and it shattered when it was dried under my skin.  it was like broken glass, but beneath a callous.....not fun!
but i use second skin, which is like superglue, but its actually intended for cuts

turtlekarma

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 02:06:08 AM »
go beach, get hands wet (stay in water for maybe 1/2 hour...depending on the kind of skin/ calluses you gots), rub some sand between your hands....problem solved, just don't let the calluses build up to the point they're ready to rip off. 

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
Its been a week mines are healed up all the way and even had a bar session last thursday.

Sometimes the blister builds up during the session even if the callus inst all big. Bars are just that "good" with your hands.
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 10:25:19 AM »
Yeah, I've been playing in trees, and a little bar action, too. I'm just keeping them scraped back. Looks ugly, but if it keeps me from ripping my hands open, I'm happy.