Author Topic: Talk Story - Pidgen, Gibberish, Ozzish you name it, Brah!!  (Read 98289 times)

turtlekarma

Re: Talk Story - Pidgen, Gibberish, Ozzish you name it, Brah!!
« Reply #560 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:19 PM »
yeah, didn't watch the whole vid myself...just thought it was a thought provoking way to look at training for self and others...glad you watched it though gregg, your dissemination was very close to my own.  Hope your healing is going well.  Derek is in WA in some art school for photography...he was planning a cross country hike journey or whatever before he got hurt, I think it might be still down the road, but more really down the road.  He visited oahu a month ago or so. 

Ozzi, I'll come down to hawaii academy tom to talk with you about the jam this sunday.

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 22, 2010, 05:03:03 AM »
Just don't hurt yourself again, Gregg! I want you to be able to show me the sights!  ;D

I was at least hoping maybe you would have some time for snorkeling/free-diving at some point. Although I do realize it's over Thanksgiving, and that will be family time for you.
"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #562 on: October 22, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »
I'm keeping it safe, Frosty. No worries. My free time is going to be mostly afternoons, which isn't best for snorkeling.

Got this from Derek:

Hey,
Thanks for checking up on me.
I moved to Seattle 2 months ago for photography school. Injury wise I am struggling to run more then two miles without my knee locking up. Been to the gym a couple times. But I don't trust the knee enough yet. I did throw a double back off the rod floor into a softer mat last Thursday. So I am progressing.

Offline AndrewL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 23, 2010, 11:42:55 AM »
cool vid from rafe kelley...some interesting stuff, a bit long winded, but interesting
http://vimeo.com/15670755

Great video. 

Gregg nailed it in the first line of his analysis...but to take it further, WHAT do you do to supplement Parkour for the beginner to novice level? 

About minute 49 he mentions that CF or plyometrics won't add that much to a pk workout but what will? Is he saying that on top of vaulting and drilling pk elements you have to do strength, flexibility and endurance training? Well this is pretty much a structured workout (Ozzi class). I mean, you need the strength and flexibility training to just do the moves. Or is he saying that ON TOP OF a typical pk workout you need to do ADDITIONAL strength and flexibility training? 

Motion for motion's sake

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #564 on: October 23, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »
People make the mistake to nonly do PK type workouts for PK, well, other things will help regardless plus it just changes the rhythim the body is following which is always good. Im all pro CF.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #565 on: October 24, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »
I think Rafe meant that most people need additional strength and flexibility. He likes PK for the running/ jumping, but felt that plyometrics is too similar to PK. They both use about the same amount of force to move the same load.

Because strength carries over between activities well, he encourages strength building stuff. Endurance doesn't transfer well - being able to swim distance doesn't help your running that much. At least that's what he was saying.

He was also saying something about high-skill moves like the planche progression, which take a lot more strength, balance, etc. than push-ups... but once you get the planche, you'll be able to pound out push-ups easy. Also, being able to lift a heavier weight will make it easier to lift lighter weights. Having sprint speed is more valuable than running endurance, etc.

CF is good. I like mixing everything up to keep from getting bored. That's why I like PK + MN. My wife had me try Zumba, and I could tell there are some muscles I don't use much in PK. I hope to get some surfing in next week... it's been too long.

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 26, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
I'm keeping it safe, Frosty. No worries. My free time is going to be mostly afternoons, which isn't best for snorkeling.

Got this from Derek:

Hey,
Thanks for checking up on me.
I moved to Seattle 2 months ago for photography school. Injury wise I am struggling to run more then two miles without my knee locking up. Been to the gym a couple times. But I don't trust the knee enough yet. I did throw a double back off the rod floor into a softer mat last Thursday. So I am progressing.

Sorry for being an ignorant haole, but what is the best time for snorkeling?

Glad to hear Derek is getting better!

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #567 on: October 26, 2010, 03:23:27 PM »
Usually morning, when the wind is calm and water is less choppy. Also, if it's a good day for surfing, it's a bad day for snorkeling - big waves stir up sand, and create surges - not fun if you're trying to look at a sea urchin close up, or swim thru coral channels.

turtlekarma

« Reply #568 on: October 26, 2010, 10:25:14 PM »
my friend Nico from Vegas PK is coming to visit Oahu, he arrives on the 28th.  I'll post up when we go training, you're all welcome to train with us.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #569 on: October 28, 2010, 01:58:03 AM »
Lets plan a jam around his visit. The 28th is tomorrow.
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #570 on: October 29, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »
Lets plan a jam around his visit. The 28th is tomorrow.

I'll bring him to HA Tom so you guys can meet him

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #571 on: November 01, 2010, 05:46:33 PM »
Congrats on getting the QM vid on front page.
Also, congrats to me for "winning" pumpkin contest. Then M2 tells me I could've carved a papaya, which would've saved me the cost of buying the pumpkin. Oh well ;D

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 02, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
Wow, gratz!!!!

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #573 on: November 02, 2010, 03:04:16 PM »
Nice... congrats, didnt even know there was a carving contest...
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #574 on: November 02, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »
It was buried at the end of the other Halloween contest. I was like "I don't have 300 people willing to spam APK. Ooh... what's this? Carve a pumpkin, get $50 coupon?" So I'm getting a pair of the black combat pants and one of the on-sale long sleeve t-shirts. I really wanted 2 pairs of the on-sale $25 cargo pants but they only have small left.

For people who want to try to write a novel, it's NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. The goal is write a 50,000 word novel by midnight, Nov 30. Don't worry about logical plot. Don't worry about spelling or format. Just blaze away. I've tried several years, and finished twice. It's about QUANTITY, not QUALITY. Check it at www.nanowrimo.org

Did some strength training last night. Pretty sad [compared to where I was 2 years ago]. Let's see how fast I can get back to that peak. I haven't even dared do the 12 MN tests again.

Did you vote today?

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 02, 2010, 06:21:30 PM »
Did some strength training last night. Pretty sad [compared to where I was 2 years ago]. Let's see how fast I can get back to that peak. I haven't even dared do the 12 MN tests again.

Don't worry, I'm horribly out of shape, so you will look like a 28 year old gymnast compare to me when I get there!

(Not that it's a competition, of course, but it should make you feel better!)

APK Roof Police Member

turtlekarma

« Reply #576 on: November 05, 2010, 01:30:44 AM »
50,000 words?  that's a bit scary....i guess if spelling and logic aren't important... does that mean you can make up your own words...english shorthand even???  pretty cool concept though.  I've always toyed with idea of writing a novel.  I wonder if you have enough words on the forums alone gregg? 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:35:02 AM by Ryan F. HIPK »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #577 on: November 05, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
50,000 words is only 1667 a day. It's time consuming, but not out of the realm of possibility. I probably have enough words just in the "Going Natural" forum, but that's not the point...

You can make up your own words. A couple years ago I took Hawaiian words and chose the OTHER set of consonants... instead of K, L and P I used T, R and B - like some of the old maps, before the spelling had been settled. It slowed me down a little, but by the time it mattered, I wasn't using any new words. So kapu -> tabu, etc.

I'm a little ahead of pace right now. I've never been ahead - one year I didn't even start until Nov 12, and had to write like a maniac.

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #578 on: November 05, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
I'm throwing my hand at it. I'm only afraid because I normally only write short stories.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #579 on: November 06, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »
Give it a shot.

"Real life superheroes" http://www.zetaman.tv/episode_1.php  ;D