Author Topic: Maintaining a handstand  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Carissa V

• Patas
  • Impossible is Nothing
    • View Profile
Maintaining a handstand
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:07:36 AM »
Hi everyone--
I used to do gymnastics, so I'm relatively decent at handstands and balance and other stuff like that.
My problem is, I can't hold a handstand for longer than 4-6 seconds, maximum.
Any tips/tricks/suggestions/etc. for how to hold a handstand longer than that?
Thanks!
*LVPK member*
*Just plain awesome*
*Consistently Injured*

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Maintaining a handstand
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:25:51 AM »
practice.  Focus on good form (everything tight, toes pointed, squeeze your glutes and abs, knees and ankles locked together, shoulders open and pushing your hands hard into the ground).

It will come with time.

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »
probably over the top comprehensive when it comes to learning and perfecting the handstand, but it's a good read/study:  http://www.thegympress.net/journal/archive/2008/abstract_the_handstand_training.html

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »
I found out something today... well... last night actually... a bit over 24 hours ago

Point being!

Normally, I will basically lean over and kick up into a hand stand... like Push-up position or close to it... it is hard to describe... but you know, almost extended and kick into the hand stand (Like, not hard but yea)

well the problem with that is that you need more torque to get up because the fulcrum is your shoulders and your feet are WAY out there... and distance from the fulcrum multiplies the force needed to offset it...

anyways, that means that if your force is too low, you come back, if it is too much, you topple over... it isn't too hard to get that down... but it forces you to have to balance a LOT more than needed

the way I found (May be already found but oh friggen well lol) is to go into a toad-like position (Hands forwards and squatting close) and then kicking UP instead of around

since you kick up, the force sends you up, meaning that you have a LOT less force to have to monitor to save you from fall back down...

I don't know if it is "Better" for everyone or for long term, but it takes a LOT less space to go into hand stand, creates a lot less wobble, and is just easier in... well... it is just easier over all aspects of it...

anyways, before I started doing this, I could only hold it for about the same, 4-6 second... now I can hold it until my arms fall off (Did, actually... well, not fall off... I was watching my friend play some DDR at the Arcade and just said... I feel like hand standing... and then did... t'was great {It was in a really open space so don't worry, nothing was in danger except for me})

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
That method actually reinforces bad habits, in my opinion, kyle >.<

Your kickups are not supposed to be violent...you arent supposed to be THROWING your hips up.  You are supposed to lift one leg and then the other.  Most people do that incorrectly and kick their legs way over the head and then the problem you describe happens.

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
yes and I described a much less violent way to do it, a way to stop the hip death sequence

however, I did not know about the split legs uppage thing...  yea... well all I was doing was suggesting a better way then the common way (Which reinforces decent habits instead of bad habits)

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline wspencer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:05:05 PM »
The trick that helped me was holding it against a wall keeping everything tight and straight (don't forget to breathe) and pressing as hard as I could through the shoulders.  A lot of people don't really lock everything out, so once you develop the strength for that, they get a lot easier
-good luck man
      Wil

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 08:07:53 AM »
I thought a handstand was all in your forearms?
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Kenn Andersen

• Mangabey
  • Proud TR89 Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:44:26 AM »

Hah I thought so too. But after reading those 8 pages, I found out I was very wrong.
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »

Hah I thought so too. But after reading those 8 pages, I found out I was very wrong.

8 pages? What!?  ???
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Kenn Andersen

• Mangabey
  • Proud TR89 Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »

8 pages? What!?  ???

probably over the top comprehensive when it comes to learning and perfecting the handstand, but it's a good read/study:  http://www.thegympress.net/journal/archive/2008/abstract_the_handstand_training.html
This^
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »

8 pages? What!?  ???

Whoops... >.>

This^
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

Offline Street_Knight

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
Yeah, I can't even extend my feet up. No strength in my shoulders to keep it that way. I have to have my legs bent to do a hand stand. How can I increase shoulder strength to keep myself up?

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Yeah, I can't even extend my feet up. No strength in my shoulders to keep it that way. I have to have my legs bent to do a hand stand. How can I increase shoulder strength to keep myself up?

Ask in the general fitness board, and I'm sure you'll get very detailed answers. I'd say overhead press and lat pull down might be good for that, if you have access to a gym.
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 08:51:58 PM »
yes and I described a much less violent way to do it, a way to stop the hip death sequence

however, I did not know about the split legs uppage thing...  yea... well all I was doing was suggesting a better way then the common way (Which reinforces decent habits instead of bad habits)

-Kyle(Rage)

yes -- but your method promotes bad habits whereas the method i suggested does not.

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass - when it comes to being in touch with your body and moving in every way possible learning ALL ways of getting inverted is important.  For the total newbie, though, the way I described is much safer and more effective in learning a proper kickup -- thats why gymnasts around the world standardized the method I explained :)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »

Can you hold a HS against the wall?  this is the most effective way to work up to handstand holds.

Start in a pushup position with your hands on the ground and your feet on a wall.  Walk your feet up the wall and your hands back towards the wall.  The goal is to get your hands just a few inches (6-8 in) away from the wall and keep your body straight.  Don't bring your hands any closer than you are comfortable with...even if that is 3 feet out from the wall or more.  Start small and build up until you can hold a handstand against the wall with pointed toes and hands 6-8 inches away with your body perfectly straight!

Offline arnoldw90

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 02:35:56 AM »
I've tried a handstand and I have to say that it is not that simple. I think that it is much simpler to do my homework for me at https://ca.edubirdie.com/do-my-homework-for-me than doing a handstand. At least this homework would be done by professionals. And you will be satisfied with the result.