Author Topic: Photo call  (Read 3563 times)

Offline AdmirePhotography

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Photo call
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »
I read here that parkour is a big deal in Colorado.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/18/go-fast-games-inject-adrenaline-rush/
I had no idea!

I don't do parkour myself but do appreciate what drives you to do it. I was a free rock climber and solo mountaineer until an accident nearly took me. I still climb, just not on the edge anymore. I'm impressed with the skill and athleticism I've seen in parkour and would like to see what kind of shot we can get.

I photograph weddings and stuff for money but like to photograph for fun too. I'm in Denver sometimes but based in Colorado Springs so if you want some shots PM me and we can work something out.

Simon
http://admirePhotography.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Photo call
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:30:32 PM »
Are you looking for any sort of specific shots?  What is your goal?  just to diversify your portfolio?

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 06:24:39 AM »
The kind of shot would really depend on the location. I'd like to come to an urban session and see what kind of shots would be available in at that location. Then work with one or two of you to get the shot I plan.

It's would make an interesting addition to my portfolio but would more likely go on my personal site http://SimonAndrews.net than my business one. It's possible it might appeal to the high school senior crowd and have some business use but really I just see this as an opportunity to shoot something of interest to me.

<- XKCD fan :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:30:13 AM by AdmirePhotography »

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:43:19 AM »
good luck

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »
Thanks Sat.

Just wanted to clarify, are you simply condoning the request for a photo call on your forum or suggesting I'll have trouble finding someone to shoot? Bit hard to tell tone of voice on the net  :)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
The springs isn't exactly a "happenin parkour scene".  There are a handful of traceurs - particularly Team Tranquil - that trains up north.  I don't really train with them much, though, because I am recovering from a knee injury.  The main parkour scene in the state is in Denver and Boulder.

I have worked with a few people on shoots in Denver and NY and did some stuff for a documentary here in the springs throughout last summer.  I am more than happy to help you but if you want to just kind of hang around during a small jam/get together then you will likely have to make a trip up to Denver - i have no idea when the other people from COS train outside.

I am sure that I help you but I would like to sign a mutual contract first...I get really pissed when pictures are taken of me and then photographers disappear off the face of the planet only to see pictures from our sessions up on Getty that they are getting paid for...after they told me it was for a "personal portfolio."

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »
Thanks Sat.

Just wanted to clarify, are you simply condoning the request for a photo call on your forum or suggesting I'll have trouble finding someone to shoot? Bit hard to tell tone of voice on the net  :)

Parkour is a pretty sport in the way that it is shot.  Every move has a very small margin in which it looks photogenic, much less then most other action sports.  Each move is fundamentally different, and sort of takes either A) an experienced parkour photographer or B) a competent photographer that does parkour.  I'm sorry if this comes off as mean, I'm in no way knocking your skills or competency more just warning you not to have high expectations. 

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »
Chris, a contract is fine with me, I feel the same way about providing an image in a digital format and seeing my work used beyond an agreement.

Sat, I'm afraid to say I almost always have high expectations. Life's too short to aim low. :) I hear what you're saying and if I was BSing you about my years of parkour skills or time spent photographing parkour then I could understand your reservations but I'm being totally up front about how I came to this site. If we get something then great, if not then nothing is lost and I get closer to Category 'A'.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »
Good for you having high expectations.  I think we might have a misunderstanding.  I don't have any reservations I was just saying don't expect too much.  One thing that may help you is to ask the traceur as much as you can about the move before they do it.  Also you might try asking them what part of the move looks most photogenic.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »
Absolutely agree, the first part of the photographic process begins with putting the camera down and start taking pictures with your mind. You have always have to make the creative decisions before you begin shooting. Once you have visualized the picture you want, only then do you begin to take pictures. It the experience of shooting a particular style that allows that process to become more automatic. When people take photos that disappoint them it's usually because they are reversing that process, chasing the image with the camera and not finding it.

A great photo of parkour would almost have to be a collaboration of traceur and photographer. I just need someone with a reasonable talent to work with and I'm sure we could get something.

Offline lostcause

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 05:13:35 PM »
Ok this thread got really uncomfortable really quickly. My advice to you is to go to the national Jam which is on 7th-10th. There will be plenty of new and experienced traceurs and traceuses. The events are long with alot of natural dynamic shots happening all the time. I'm sure you can come away with something you'll like.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 12:58:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply lostcause.

I was really just looking for someone to shoot on a more personal level just for fun, but yea this thread has taken a bit of a turn. Not sure if I caused it, sorry if I've offended anyone and I'll stop posting now.  If there's not interest then that's cool. I was led to believe there was more happening then there there appears to be so no worries.  :)

If anyone is interested contact me through my website, http://admirePhotography.com

Have fun, play safe.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply lostcause.

I was really just looking for someone to shoot on a more personal level just for fun, but yea this thread has taken a bit of a turn. Not sure if I caused it, sorry if I've offended anyone and I'll stop posting now.  If there's not interest then that's cool. I was led to believe there was more happening then there there appears to be so no worries.  :)

If anyone is interested contact me through my website, http://admirePhotography.com

Have fun, play safe.

You should go to Denver on the 7-10.  Just don't lurk around like a creepy photographer.  We would prefer you trained ;)