Author Topic: Shoulder Roll Point  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Hans Hansen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Shoulder Roll Point
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
Throughout the time that I have been rolling, I've tried dozens of different angles for my shoulder.
I can never find the perfect point at which I put my shoulder to the ground.  Would somebody like to point it out to me?
Here is a picture of the back of a man with his arms out.  Please, if you would, try to circle or point out the area of the shoulder at which I should have my shoulder on the ground.

http://advancedphysicaltherapist.com/images/resized/backarmsout.jpg

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
Re: Shoulder Roll Point
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »
The problem is there is no specific spot for every person. Because of the variation of position of muscles and bones for each individual, depending on their level of fitness or size, there is no definite area. Just use common sense. Whatever part of the BACK of your shoulder is softest, and would cause you the least pain. Which means, basically where you have the most muscle, or the least bone. From my swimming days and Parkour conditioning I have some muscles that make it so a three or four inch area of the back of my shoulder blade is completely protected, and all I have to do is hit a certain arm structure, that part tenses, and I feel no pain as I perform the roll.

Rolls truly and sincerely take months if not years of experimentation and toying. Nobody can just give you the right answer. Even if I told you the exact millimeter on your shoulder, it would still take just as much time to make your body do exactly what you want, and turn that into muscle memory. So play with it. You'll find it.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline TalonBG

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder Roll Point
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
Are you putting the opposite foot/leg of the arm you use to direct the roll? I have been practising parkour for a few weeks now and have it down packed on grass and dirt after i did trial and error and a few bumps on my hip...