Author Topic: How do i get people involved  (Read 1398 times)

Offline irun4fun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How do i get people involved
« on: May 08, 2009, 06:44:53 AM »
I only have a handful of friends who know what parkour is....and only one of them actually does it with me. How can i get the public involved and informed about parkour in my area?

P.S. i created a blog ??? ??? ???
"Pakour is for those who live it, not for those who want to live thanks to it" -David Belle

Offline Tom "Hayabusa" Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Self-training wanna-be from Guam...lol
    • View Profile
Re: How do i get people involved
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 08:42:35 AM »
Well, what we did in Guam was we started out with just one or two of us, and then kinda spread the word about parkour through Myspace, friends, and acquaintances, and now we're up to about 8-10 regular practitioners after about 6 months.  If people are a bit confused about what parkour is, try your best to explain it to them, and possibly try to direct them to some of the staple Youtube parkour videos.  Try your best to be passionate about it.  You'd be surprised how infectious a little fire in your voice can be.  Convince them.  Some folks really do wanna try it out, but they have those last-minute excuses like, "Ehhhh, maybe I'm a bit too outta shape for it".  My big selling point is that I used to be like 60 lbs. heavier when I first started practicing parkour, so that helps me sway those folks.  You probably don't have a similar situation, but I'm sure you have something of your own that you can make work for you.

Hope that helps.

Good luck, train safe!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return."

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: How do i get people involved
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »
Train in public. Make sure you have prepared responses for people who tell you "DONT JUMP", or presume you are imitating the show "Jackass". When people ask you what you are doing (And some will, trust me), make sure you can give them good answers. When you are passionate about something, you cant help but spread the word. You'll talk about it naturally, and people will start gaining interest. Then more people will start training with you. Then more might, and they might bring their friends. Then they might break off and form their own group, and it will continue to spread.

So basically... Just train, and it will happen naturally.

Also, when people ask, Direct them here.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log