Author Topic: General Fear  (Read 7855 times)

Offline Wes Pittman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Un-formally Burningcacti!
    • View Profile
General Fear
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »
 >:(  is it just me or when you first start doing moves you have alot of fear of mislanding? Just me?

Anyone got a remedy for it? lol

Offline Preston M

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: General Fear
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
It happens to everyone. Practice on something that you know you can get over, and practice that move over and over until you perfect it. It helps if you can land on grass if you do happen to fall over. That's what I did to boost my confidence when I had trouble overcoming that mental barrier.

I hope that helps.  :)

Offline Michael Graham

• Patas
  • Now without facial hair!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »
Practice/practice/more practice.
I actually think so little about what i do now when I move that when I DO concentrate, I kind of forget how to do it. I was trying to vault over my bed the other day and I normally just do it, when i tried to intentionally do it, I kept messing up.
Conditioning is very important too. When you know your body can do it because you've trained, it becomes so much easier.
Tomorrow could be the best day of your life.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »
General Fear should go meet Colonel Courage, or tangle with Brigadier Bravery, or tussle with Major Mettle! Aha! We the victor shall then determine, shan't we!

EDIT: Fixed.

General Fear should go clash with Colonel Courage, or brawl with Brigadier Bravery, or have a melee with Major Mettle! Aha! We the victor shall then determine, shan't we!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:09:40 PM by Dan Frank »
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Wes Pittman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »
Haha nice =D

yeah i mean i have it set up if i land wrong its going to be a soft landing but its still the whole "can i do this?" thing

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »
you cant break fear, you have to understand it and learn why you have fear.

only after you have accepted fear can you try to break it.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Wes Pittman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:07 PM »
you cant break fear, you have to understand it and learn why you have fear.

only after you have accepted fear can you try to break it.

damn,
thats deep

but also true, thanks for your help eisen

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »
just remember, fear keeps you alive. dont push it.

if you are afraid to do a jump think about why, once you know EXACTLY what you are scared of (not landing right, slipping, breaking something) you can combat this with your mind. just think of ways to save yourself, or ways to prevent anything bad from happening.

when you cant think of anything bad that can happen you will have mastered fear. 

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Wes Pittman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »
hmmm
thats a good way to put it, i'll get started as soon as i get some sleep lol

Offline Kdub

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »
I've found that when you know you can do it, but am fearful(because of something like landing, as you mentioned) I work my way up to it. Sort of like "feeling" the action rather than thinking about it.

It's hard to do, though when you don't "think" it's easier to do, it just happens.

If you get someone to do a demonstration of the move before you do it, you pick up a lot and it's easier.

Offline Wes Pittman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »
I've found that when you know you can do it, but am fearful(because of something like landing, as you mentioned) I work my way up to it. Sort of like "feeling" the action rather than thinking about it.

It's hard to do, though when you don't "think" it's easier to do, it just happens.

If you get someone to do a demonstration of the move before you do it, you pick up a lot and it's easier.

yeah i understand what your talking about man.
im slowly getting confidence, having someone show me how to do the move would TOTALLY help lol
im looking but cant find anyone who is willing

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »
There is something I learned at Parkour Generations last year that I haven't recalled until now.

Fail on purpose.  Purposely fall, clip your feet, etc (Safely and with baby step progression).  Make it habitual and second nature.  So that when you do fall, you will be so accustomed to falling that you will automatically execute the proper move to get out of it safely.  Then you may perform a move with total confidence, knowing that there is no reason to be afraid.

Offline Wes Pittman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
There is something I learned at Parkour Generations last year that I haven't recalled until now.

Fail on purpose.  Purposely fall, clip your feet, etc (Safely and with baby step progression).  Make it habitual and second nature.  So that when you do fall, you will be so accustomed to falling that you will automatically execute the proper move to get out of it safely.  Then you may perform a move with total confidence, knowing that there is no reason to be afraid.

That kinda goes against human nature, but i do see how it can and will help.
It's just so if i do fail i am used to it right?

Offline Michael Graham

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 08:12:41 PM »
Yes Wes, that's the idea. HOWEVER, don't intentionally do it during movements. You want to drill perfection in your movements.
So don't kong and fail on purpose, just trip urself up every once in awhile walking and stuff.
Bad form is never fun to work with.

Offline Mike Patella

• Mangabey
  • Towson, Maryland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 08:40:04 PM »
Fear is definitely a survival mechanism.  You're afraid of something, meaning that you wont do it, because you believe it's potentially dangerous or unpleasant.  I for one have been to afraid to do a wall flip since i hurt my knee.  I know i can do one, i've done them before.  But I never landed 100% all of the time.  If i were to land onto my knees, chances are that i would roll over in pain.  Therefore, survival mechanism... pain is bad... don't experience it... fear the action.

Most everyone that's posted so far has it right, fear doesn't just go away.  You learn to cope and overcome by knowing your capabilities and understanding what you fear that you might not be capable of.  Meaning that I have no fear of walking down a flight of stairs because I know that I am FULLY capable of making it to the bottom without killing myself.  An older person on the other hand, may not trust his legs.  If I were to step on the edge of a stair and slip, i'd probably be able to recover rather quickly without taking a tumble.  The geezer might not be able to grab onto something fast/hard enough... and then suddenly he's in the hospital because every bone in his body is now dust.

Somewhat redundant advice because it's already been said, but breakdown the movement, understand each part, and practice what you think you're not capable of.  Strangely enough, at times you'll find that you're fully capable of each part without even the need for practice, but you don't see the whole as the sum of its parts.

So uhh... get out there and go jump off of shit....... safely.   :-Sarcasm

Offline Wes Pittman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 03:01:44 AM »
Yes Wes, that's the idea. HOWEVER, don't intentionally do it during movements. You want to drill perfection in your movements.
So don't kong and fail on purpose, just trip urself up every once in awhile walking and stuff.
Bad form is never fun to work with.

:P man how did you figure out i was trying to kong but kept busting on myself lol

Offline jojoba

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 03:02:20 AM »
You do not try to suppress, overcome or otherwise battle with fear. You embrace fear and welcome it. It is your friend.

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
  • An All-American Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 06:18:32 AM »
  You know, I think that there have been plenty of more psychological/philosophical posts, so I'll give you a more superficial answer:  Take it slow!  You're afraid because you might hurt yourself, so practice on really small or easy obstacles.  Take a few practice runs, imagine what happens if you jump right there. 
  Try only doing the move half-way, if possible--for example, I started monkey vaults one-handed, tilting my body some on a really short rail until I was tucking my legs in enough to do the movement correctly, then went higher. 
I decided not to put something deep here.  I'm in this for the physical aspect, the mental and spiritual are my own.

Offline Michael Graham

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »
If you're busting on a kong, I'd recommend working on flexibility some. It doesn't take much, but knowing you are flexible makes your body kind of react with 'this is easy, i shouldnt be scared at all' and then you'll do it, because it is. :]
When I had trouble with kongs, I did stretching for a few days and it boosted my confidence, I could have done them before but the extra confidence helped me think "My feet will clear this by a mile, i can bring them up so high they go into my chest and pop out my spine.

Offline Wes Pittman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
If you're busting on a kong, I'd recommend working on flexibility some. It doesn't take much, but knowing you are flexible makes your body kind of react with 'this is easy, i shouldnt be scared at all' and then you'll do it, because it is. :]
When I had trouble with kongs, I did stretching for a few days and it boosted my confidence, I could have done them before but the extra confidence helped me think "My feet will clear this by a mile, i can bring them up so high they go into my chest and pop out my spine.

haha i might have to try that. What kind of stretching do you do?

Oh and if anyone else has any fears  go ahead and post them, this isnt a topic all on me, im sure im not the only one