Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline JustJack

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Drink your drugs, stay in milk and don't do school
    • View Profile
Re: Fear?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:53:14 AM »
For me when I finally just do it and get over a big fear, every other time I do it is a little less scary but still scary nonetheless so for me every time I do something real hard I have to just f#cking DO IT without thinking. It's becoming like a second nature so just you know DO IT, that's all I can say.
"You must always assume the worst-case scenario. You must assume that there is a 100% chance of a zombie outbreak, and a 100% chance that you will die in it. Your goal is to postpone your death."

Offline meamaslimjim

• Guenons
  • "Cloud" Brusewitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:19:45 PM »
Well, if it's a fear of heights, don't go jumping off buildings and thinking you're getting passed your fear. That is stupid. Start small, and stay small, until you can deal with the fear at that level, then progress from there.
Simple, right?
Ah, that works in theory, but not so much in reality. Fear is like your body telling you that you're not ready... imagine yourself climbing a rock wall and your on the advanced side. You're able to climb to the middle, but right at that moment, you tremble and uncertainty kicks in. There's your fear. Whatever it is, may it be fear of heights, falling, injury... your body is telling you that it's at a point where it's "worried" about something.
[not a great analogy, but hopefully I got my point across]

So, is it okay to keep going from there? It depends... if you're trembling and scared as hell, that means you need to get back down and train at a lower level for a bit. But if you have the mindset to keep going, then by all means, do so.
Word of caution, however, you gotta know you're limits. Don't go beyond what you're capable of. That's stupid if you do so. It's like jumping off 10 ft. buildings when you haven't conditioned yourself yet, both physically and mentally.

About mentality and fear, I suggest visualization. Imagine yourself overcoming the obstacle, or whatever fear you have. Imagine yourself succeeding, and repeat it over and over. It's kinda like the Placebo Effect. If you think you'll succeed, you'll most likely will.

Then onto what JustJack said, it'll become second nature to you if you start to practice whatever you're afraid of. Like he said: just do it. Tell yourself that you've gotta get past that obstacle... if not today, then when will it be? Stop waiting, start now.
"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." -Albert Schweitzer
My Training Log
Why are you on the computer? Get off your a** and run!

Bowdz

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »
It is really just a personal thing that each of us need to overcome in our own way.  Some people seem to be able to just go for it and ease there fear in one big jump while others seem to slowly work their way up to it and then finally give the obstacle a try when they are fully ready. Personally, fear definitely is hindering my progress (physically, I know I can clear a picnic table, but I keep safety tapping my feet near the end) although it is also forcing me to really work up to something.  I don't think there is really any set way of defining fear or how to overcome it, but it is a mental problem that all of us must conquer in a unique manner. Good luck with your progression.

Offline tygood123

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
i just break it down to every thing i am doing and work on the basics of what i am doing and then increase the intensity every time i try. i build it up. then once i get too the level of what ever i am doing that i was afraid of.. i just know i can do it and then bam i do it. stick to basics and build up too what you afraid of... david belle and sabastian foujcan (i cant spell his name) do it in a lot of their bigger jumps and moves.. also the Yamakasi and parkour generations train the exact same way as this..
What we do now echo's in eternity

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:11:14 AM »
im not here to argue with anyone so i wont address what anyone else said.

imo, fear keeps us safe. without fear we would probably die. its knowing how to master your fear that separates the men from the boys.

first embrace your fears, figure out exactly what you are scared of (what could go wrong, your skill level not being enough, ect). when you embrace your fears you are ready to come up with an attack strategy.

once you can think of all the things that can go wrong, think of how to prevent them from going wrong, think of ways to save yourself from harm.

this alone can give you the courage to give it a shot. seriously though, you HAVE to embrace your fears. if you dont you will never learn how to over come them, you only learn to go around them. that leads to injury, sometimes being scared of something so badly that you wont try it is a good thing, thats your body saying you are not ready to do it.

only when your brain starts to argue with itself can you be sure its just a mental block. some day you will understand what im saying.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline comradeKhan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Fall of Ignorance!
Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Just today I jumped to a cat hang from a 4ft tall, 8in wide platform across 6ft onto a 10ft wall (easy because I am 6ft tall).  Without the math, that's:  I did what a newbie like me considers a huge jump to cat.  I did that 3 times two weeks ago and then couldn't do it again that day, because I lost confidence.

CONFIDENCE IS KEY.  That's what gives you the window to say "Just do it!".  Many think this is another name for self esteem or is a direct and dependent result of it.  This is not true.  confidence is like energy, you can create and use it so long as you apply the correct ideas to the correct details.  In order to create it, much like energy from food, you must digest success using the appropriate attitudes.  This is helpful because, along with being in a group, success is a huge player in mentality.  That's how I came back today and easily mastered the leap another 4 times.  You can build your confidence like so (or however you want):

1.  Do something easy but significant, like a lazy vault, and really focus on doing it as well as possible.  Now, after likely achieving supreme success over this tiny obstacle, you can say "I did that easily!", and NOT "That was easy!".  This is because the best attitude toward small obstacle is like burning ants, really; it's still empowering, despite its ease. 

2.  Now that you have burned some ants (metaphorically, of course), you need to take that confidence and add some density to it.  Find something new that's simple, or something that you can do but don't do often or at all, and do it.  Succeeding at this will give you that confidence that comes with discovering talents and abilities.  Not you may say "I can do that!" and NOT "I knew I could do that!".  This is because you throw confidence gain away when you tell yourself that the action has meant nothing for progress. 

3.  Now you should invest your confidence and try something hard in an environment that you feel safe in.  It's best if the action is related to that which you fear.  Try it and keep making it harder until you find your limit (this is always found via failure, never by 'I don't think I can make that harder', do it until you actually try and fail)(<< safely, of course), then take it down to your limit and complete in several times.  No you should have gained real, true confidence from doing something that you earnestly believe is difficult and significant. 

4.  Take this confidence, and march over to your feared obstacle.  Spend little time preparing, only enough to focus in and get a foothold, bring your focus onto the physical obstacle, ignoring the environment, and take advantage of your confidence by forcing the window of "Just do it!", and do it.  Don't stop, do this SEVERAL TIMES WITHOUT PAUSE.  ANY pause is bad.  Complete it, return to start, and complete again.  Rinse and repeat without hesitation until you have done this maybe 5 - 10 times, or more if you know your confidence and self esteem needs it.  If you become distracted and focus on something else, you may find yourself unable to do that obstacle again, much like I had.

This is how I did it, and I think it works with anyone.  Don't be obnoxious and over do it when trying to build confidence.  Along with being an obstacle, your fear is an emergency brake.  Sometimes you are afraid because if you aren't you will become injured or dead.  Don't do the first three steps and then dash to the obstacle, close your eyes, and leap like a freak to certain indignity and doom.  Treat all obstacles during this like any other, with focus and commitment.  Also, remember that if you say no to something because your aren't sure about your abilities, and it's dangerous, confidence will not make you jump farther, it will only help you jump (this may be bad, hence 'over confident').

Hope it helps!

Offline Aeropasse

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Boulder Parkour
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 04:47:15 PM »
If you find yourself not being able to overcome a fear. All you have have to is just imagine yourself doing it, look at the obstacle, and just picture yourself doing it right. That will probably help you overcome your fears!
"Without philosophy, action has no meaning.”- Sebastian Foucan

CHECK OUT OUR SITE AT www.boulderparkour.com! Thanks alot!

Offline Jerald Donald Konkel

• Mangabey
  • Land softly and Roll Smoothly
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
What..... or Who is Fear?? I have no Fear.... But I'm also not an Idiot, I know my Limits.

"We're Apes, not monkeys" GPK
"Get off the roof, for your own safety" APK Roof Police