Author Topic: rolling: moving up to concrete  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Scott

• Guenons
    • View Profile
rolling: moving up to concrete
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:57:29 AM »
I'm very new to Parkour (a month or so).  I've been concentrating on learning alot of basic movements, especially landings and rolls. 
  I'm able to land into a roll pretty well on grass, woodchips, gravel, etc, but have trouble on concrete. My problem is: while rolling on  concrete, i experience a good bit of pain on the back of my right shoulder, and also my left hip.  I've been watching and trying to break down examples of good rolling, like david belle's, but i'm not really able to identify what i'm doing wrong.  Maybe i'm not round enough?  Maybe my weight is not transfering smoothly, and falling on isolated areas?  I don't know.
  thanks for the help

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: rolling: moving up to concrete
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »
As complicated as the rolling technique is it would be in your best interests to get some help from a more experienced traceur....or if you have any friends or know anybody in martial arts they may be able to help you with the roll.....otherwise best of luck man....just play with different techniques until you feel no pain.....you may not be absorbing with your arm enought or landing to hard on your shoulder and not being tight enough or round enough to roll and instead end up kind of bumping....practicing on grass trying to make it as silent as possible is a good practice...also making the sound smooth....like a ball rolling instead or a box rolling....think like a ball.....hope this helps and makes sense....good luck
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:46:32 PM »
It sounds to me like the classic "frontflip on the ground" ...

what i mean is this:

you may be going over too far before you hit the ground, so instead of rolling on your shoulder, you're kind of doing a flip and just happen to hit your shoulder and hip along the way.

try to lengthen your roll by having your target point further away from you and see if that helps.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline shadow09

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:02:09 PM »
it sounds like you have the same problem i had...when i first started it hurt like heck to do rolls on concrete, so i really didnt do em too much....but now that i have been practicing my normal grass rolls concrete is starting to feel much better ...so i guess what im saying is just stick to grass for a while and eventually your technique will improve so it wont hurt so much

"Be not the successor of your past, but the designer of your future"

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 04:39:56 AM »
you could also try driling your rolls on concrete from a kneeling position, that way it wont hurt to bad, and you body will subconsciencely (uh.......) fix anything wrong with your roll therfor perfecting it, just do like 10 everyday then work up to stadnding, jumping, and running and finaly landing.

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 04:46:05 AM »
I agree with M2. if that doesn't work just find a diffrent technique.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

psycosis12

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:52:12 AM »
valigon has a good point too, i would go with his idea first so that scott can get the general idea of rolls on concrete then roll from a drop

Offline Leap Frog

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 02:00:45 PM »
i have this same problem now, i tried doing the kneeing on cement, and it still hurt, but ill try to fix my technique, sticking to grass for a while seems good :)
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to...I guess

crazyted

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 06:36:13 PM »
yes I have this exact same problem, i have been practicing on concrete but so far no real improvement, on grass and even semi hard surfaces wood etc my rolls feel fine but when I go to concrete I can really feel it in my right shoulder and hip.... so I am gonna try m2's advice in tomorrows training

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 04:05:27 PM »
M2 lol i was teaching a new kid how to roll last week, I told him to take it slow and learn from the knealing position (on a mat in my martial art) then he followed up with "i got this" and before i could interject he basically did what could only be described as a frontflip landing flat on his back -ouch (only a bruise)

but yes M2 is gold on this one just try learning to roll slowly and with the best technique possible if you can't get help from someone

crazyted

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 08:41:16 AM »
ok so i have been practicing and concluded practicing on concrete is better than grass b/c it tells you when you are doing wrong by hurting second m2 is right on its not a frontfip onto your back on the grass... third just trying to think about being as round as possible it really helps me... thanks guys....