Author Topic: rolling problem  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
rolling problem
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:07:50 PM »
ok, now when I roll, I bend my knees, put my leading foot a bit ahead of the trailing leg, tuck my head so its safe and looking at my trailing leg, sweep the arm of my rolling shoulder under me (hard to describe, like what m2 showed me at training day) and then go into my roll, tucking my trailing leg behind my lead leg so it should come up in a good position for taking off running. my issue is that I take my lead arm ( i guess thats what its called, not the one I roll over) and have been using it to push off, this causes my wrist to hurt a bit after a while but when I tried to roll without using it I couldnt come up out of the roll.  Whats my problem? do i just need to go faster? tuck more? possibly round my back more (though I try to do this alot)? suggestions are apreciated.
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: rolling problem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »
OK ... your "Lead Arm" woudl be the one for the foot that's forward. This is the one that should be out in front of you and round ... it doesn't "sweep under you" ... that causes you to start too far into the roll, instead the back of your wrist is the first area to make contact with the ground but this takes no weight nor does the rest of your arm until you get to the back of your shoulder.

I think what you are takling about is your other hand, which I personally suggest doesn't ever support any weight during the roll. It's fine to use it as a "feeler" for how close to the ground you are, but any weight on it will a) screw up your alignement b) possibly hurt your wrist (as I think you're saying).

If yo'ure saying you push off your hand AFTER the roll, then you are not preserving momentum through the roll, there should be no need to push off, even from a kneeling roll. It is easier to come up from a standing or even movnig roll as you have more momentum, but however you start your roll, your push into the roll alone should be enough to bring you through.

If I didn't touch on what you were asking, let me know.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:54:34 PM »

If yo'ure saying you push off your hand AFTER the roll, then you are not preserving momentum through the roll, there should be no need to push off, even from a kneeling roll. It is easier to come up from a standing or even movnig roll as you have more momentum, but however you start your roll, your push into the roll alone should be enough to bring you through.

If I didn't touch on what you were asking, let me know.

yup thats what I meant, sorry, I didnt realize how confusing that post was until I just reread it.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 03:16:15 PM »
..And yet you don't ask me or dylan who see you every day at school
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 04:40:32 PM »
No i did ask dylan, and he was a little vague about it so I decided to ask someone here.

edit: btw, I tried tucking my legs more and just a little earlier in my roll, things are better now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 04:42:09 PM by Nick »

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
Glad to hear it. Does that mean it was a momentum problem?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 01:36:57 PM »
a mix of a momentum issue and not having my legs enough underneath me when I finished the roll