Author Topic: Frontflip to roll help  (Read 1570 times)

Offline jordanwolfe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Frontflip to roll help
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:12:31 AM »
Ive always wanted to be able to run off of something high, at least seven feet, frontflip and than roll. well i can already execute frontflips, but my trouble is the rolling part. i want to know if it is easy/ hard to roll out of a frontflip, and if it is, any tips before i go for it?

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
Re: Frontflip to roll help
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »
I wouldn't suggest frontfliping off anything higher than a foot or two until you're completely confident in every aspect of the movement, including the roll.

Rolls, if they are trained properly, come when they need to. It's not a matter of "I need to roll after I land" it's a matter of rolling as you land, because your body goes "oh shit I'm gonna faceplant."

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »
as long as you have mastered the roll then it should be no problem at all, I'd say if you are asking about this though you probably shouldn't be doing it off of 7 feet for a while. Main thing is to just worry about the front and then when you contact the ground just transfer it into a roll. It should be natural
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:25:48 PM »
First off, I'd advise you not to attempt this move until you've mastered the front flip and the roll. Especially if you want to try a seven foot drop with a flip. For flips, you should practice on a trampoline or into a pool. That way you can learn to manipulate your body how you want to into the air without the worry of hurting yourself too bad.
There is sort of a technique used to straighten yourself out in the air (try looking in the tricking threads).
I'd suggest watching Dogens videos about center of gravity.
http://www.dogentricks.com/tutorials/videos/DogenTricks.com%20-%20Center%20of%20Gravity.wmv
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:24 AM »
First off, I'd advise you not to attempt this move until you've mastered the front flip and the roll. Especially if you want to try a seven foot drop with a flip. For flips, you should practice on a trampoline or into a pool. That way you can learn to manipulate your body how you want to into the air without the worry of hurting yourself too bad.
There is sort of a technique used to straighten yourself out in the air (try looking in the tricking threads).
I'd suggest watching Dogens videos about center of gravity.
http://www.dogentricks.com/tutorials/videos/DogenTricks.com%20-%20Center%20of%20Gravity.wmv

Video not accesible
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html