Author Topic: parkour classes  (Read 1135 times)

Offline King_Of_Kats

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
parkour classes
« on: December 09, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »
I need some help finding some place close that i could practice parkour indoors for the winter.
i have a few people i practice with and im sure they would want to do the same but anyways just wondering if there was any place close by Andover-blaine-coon-anoka area ...yes i know about gleasons but thats a little to far for a week night after school and work..
thanks for the help
Ben  ;D

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
Re: parkour classes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:26:16 AM »
As far as gyms go, I only know of Gleason's, one in Eagan and one in Maple Grove.  If you aren't up for that, you can focus on conditioning and do that in the comfort of your own home.  Fitness and conditioning need to be stressed, especially to beginners.  So it may be a good idea to work out this winter, then when summer comes along you can jump outside and have a good base to start off with.

Or you can just go outside in the winter, but I know how it is, I first found out about parkour during the winter and it is a little overwhelming.  So if you don't, that's cool too.  If you want some advice for winter training though, you might want to contact Grant (LOTRFreak993) because he has been working on a winter training progression video, might be able to give you some insight there.

Lastly, maybe try to talk to some gymnasts at your school (how old are you anyway? Just curious) and ask where they practice.  Most gyms will have an open gym time.  I don't really know much of the area you're asking for but hope that helps a bit.
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »
Good words skinny. If you are just starting training I would condition, Like the Yamakasi when they teach they don't let there students jump(big) for the first year of training.  If you live in Minneapolis or near there go to the pit it is under a bridge I don't know how wet it gets under there though. If you are willing to face the cold I think the ice and everything will be a good way to start so you are more couscous then by the time it's warm everything may be a breeze. As far as gymnastics center listen to Skinny's advice if you live anywhere near Owatonna we are going to the gymnastics center almost every Saturday during the summer, I will be willing to teach you much basics and we have some gymnasts there to teach  the acrobatics. I do have experience teaching basics and leading workouts and such.AnyQ's just ask.

Offline King_Of_Kats

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 05:32:51 PM »
Im 16 lol so ya ya ya....i know im young. but i have really good stamina so i can run.
i just got a pair of Ariake.
im good 6'2''.
and i have a few pics so i'll put them up in a bit...