Author Topic: Hitting my knee on the ground when rolling. Help?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
Hitting my knee on the ground when rolling. Help?
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »
I can do the roll just fine on cement, except for when it comes to getting out of the roll back into a standing position. When I use my left leg to push myself up (i'm a right shoulder roller) I hit the spot right below my knee and bruise it up. Am I using the wrong spot to get out of the roll or just bad technique?
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
Re: Hitting my knee on the ground when rolling. Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:16:06 AM »
When doing a martial arts roll, you usually end up with your back leg on the ground and you're in a kneeling position, perfect for pivoting and striking for martial arts. I think this is what you're doing. So a way to fix this would be to tuck your knees tighter during the roll, and you can even stay tucked so that both your feet hit the ground after the roll at the same time, then stand up with both feet. I've seen people like David Belle do that.

If you don't want to do that (I don't really like doing that,) then you can just make sure that your leg is more vertical before you start standing up. Just remember that there should be no pain when you roll.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »
Pull your leg up towards your chest, (if you do martial arts, as though you were chambering a sidekick) so that when you come out of the roll, your foot, not your knee, is the point of weight transfer.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Quiggz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »
Agreed, once your upper foot hits the ground, that it was should be taking on your weight, not so much pushing off of your knee.

And on the subject of knees, the other problem might be that when you roll, you may be slamming your knee to the ground a little hard once the roll nears completion.  This may be because it isn't tucked tight enough, or your body wants to use it as a slowing mechanism. Either way try to do rolls slowly to learn how to ease the 'down leg' onto the ground so it becomes a smoother motion.  Practice makes perfect!
We give it all
This is the reason why I sing
So give it all
It's these reasons that belong to me.

I believe the human body is capable of anything the mind can imagine, so long as the unity of mind and body is strong enough.

berky93

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 05:06:12 PM »
also, a good way to see what you're doing wrong is to watch others do it. find some videos on youtube or here about rolling, and you can get some great shots, even slow-motion, which is always helpful