Author Topic: Roll Shoulder Pain  (Read 18633 times)

Offline DHumphrey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Roll Shoulder Pain
« on: December 03, 2008, 07:38:16 AM »
Hey guys.
   Im new to Parkour, and right now I'm starting with the basics: Rolling, jumping, and landing. My jump and my land are fine, but whenever I try to do the roll, no matter what height or how I do it, my shoulder blade hurts badly. I think whenever I roll, I stick it out, and so right now its pretty badly bruised. What should I do?

Offline slavehack

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Shoulder Pain
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »
I'm having this same issue....

right now, it hurts on my right shoulder (not necessarily on top, but not on the back either)
I've been watching videos to see if I'm doing it right, and as far as I can tell, its just because my shoulder isn't used to it yet.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:40:06 AM »
There's two things you should try. First, try absorbing more with your arms, so that instead of landing on, you're lowering the shoulder to the ground. Also, make sure you're rolling over the shoulder, not onto it. If the top of the shoulder hits, it's going to hurt. The first part of your body, except for the hands, to touch, should be the back of the shoulder.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:07:47 AM »
Experiment with where on your back you are first contacting the ground. Once you find a good position, it should feel smooth, and it will not hurt at all. BTW, if you haven't got your roll down really well, do rolls on soft surfaces like grass or carpet. Don't move on to concrete unless you're really confident in your roll. Also, don't do rolls from jumps until you can do them perfectly from the ground. Move up the height gradually after that, starting with jumps from the ground, and so on. Don't go above your height, at MOST.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Kevin Sanjiviraj Harris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 03:49:20 AM »
i'm also having the same problem. whenever i roll, the bone behind my shoulder sticks out. So when i roll, that bone is the 1st part 2 hit the ground when i initiate the roll also the roll is ending at the middle of my lower back not the left hip. can any1 help?

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »
i'm also having the same problem. whenever i roll, the bone behind my shoulder sticks out. So when i roll, that bone is the 1st part 2 hit the ground when i initiate the roll also the roll is ending at the middle of my lower back not the left hip. can any1 help?

Check out this video. It should help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6I1J0zmE7U

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline saiage

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:27:19 AM »
OK
 WHEN U ROLL : ur bones rnet supposed to stick out make shure u roll at an angle from one shoulder to the opposite hip dont....practice on a hard surface till u got it.... tuck ur neck in be safe watch videos and read up :)

Offline Altair013

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »
I'm having that same problem where there is a big long bruise across my shoulder blade. I was only working in grass but it still hurts. I did at least a hundred rolls from the ground trying different things and it was hit or miss on whether or not my shoulder would hurt.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
First of all, use the search bar; there have been about a million and a half threads about roll problems.

In addition to Adam's link, check out SkyNative's Advanced Roll Tutorial, both of those videos I found very helpful.

Rolls are a very personal technique. The best way to solve a problem is by drilling them on grass (or another soft material, like carpet) and making small adjustments until you feel no sharp points of pressure or pain.

Good luck!