Author Topic: rolling technique  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Sharpie AKA Steven Sharpe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
rolling technique
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »
Ok well i have been training for about 7 months. 3 months really dedicated and harder training. i can do most vaults except kong and dash (working on dash). well i can roll but only sometimes i get that good shoulder to opposite hip motion most of the time  just roll parallel to my spine so what can i do to fix this.
if you don't enjoy training alone, your training for the wrong reasons.

The World. My Playground.
The Streets. My Home.
The Architecture. My Inspiration.
The Fear. My Motivation.
The Sweat, the Scars, the Pain. My Proof.
My Name. Traceur.

Offline Evan Sink

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: rolling technique
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:24:45 PM »
You could try landing somewhat crooked, so that your momentum would just naturally take you from shoulder to opposite leg.  This would make it a little bit harder to run out of you roll, but just to get the basics down, thats what I would do.
I hate women, because I love them so much.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »
Make sure you turn when you roll. You should be turning so that you can go over your shoulder. Try sweeping your front arm underneath your body from your right shoulder to your left hip (if you are rolling over your right shoulder,) and then just let that motion guide your momentum for the rest of the roll. Make sure you aren't doing somersaults the way gymnasts do them, over their necks and not their shoulders.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Evan Sink

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »
Absolutely Frank!  I couldn't find the right words for it, but do listen to frank over me, although the crooked thing may help you learn to guide the opposite half of you body.  But never go over you neck like gymnasts as frank said.  They aren't that high off the ground, plus they have a mat.  If you try rolling on your neck off of a structure, such as a building or piece of art, you could cause extreme damage to your spine.  Say bye-bye to parkour after that :(
I hate women, because I love them so much.