Author Topic: «¤JÅķΣØß V‡Ģ‡╚'§ ┬RÅIñiñG £ØG, ®ΣMÏ××ÊФ»  (Read 51854 times)

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: «¤JÅķΣØß V‡Ģ‡╚'§ ┬RÅIñiñG £ØG, ®ΣMÏ××ÊФ»
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »
Why are they a waste of time? Is doing it on a bar actually preferable?
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
One of the benefits of rings is that it provides an unstable support.  When you are hanging, there is nothing unstable so that benefit is eliminated.  Rather, you now have a floating anchor to which you are hanging - this means your arms have more freedom and you may be just taking the "path of least resistance" on some reps -- which can be straight up to the rings as opposed to back behind the rings.  This is unconscious and comes with fatigue.  By focusing on false grip, though, you get the benefit of increasing false grip strength which will help with your rings and bar work as well as your overall grip.  If you don't focus on false grip then you may want to stick with a bar as this is a bit more applicable to parkour/real world since we rarely are hanging and getting up on top of two floating objects.

In short, the rings are a conditioning tool - not real world mimicry.  When the benefit of that tool is elimated (unstable surface) and a shortcut presents itself (pulling straight to the rings as opposed to behind them) then it may actually hinder progress.

Now, imho, I would say that you definitely need to get MUs on rings - though I think pullups would be best done either on a bar or on rings focusing on a false grip.  I would focus more on negatives based on your current level of strength, and focused assisted concentric work through the transition.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »
Thank you Chris.

However, I regret to inform you all I will now be quitting Parkour as I have a car and no longer need to use my legs.

It's been fun,

Goodbye,

Jake Vigil

/joke.

Bit of training today and yesterday. Some backflips outside (WOOT) and whatnot. All of my working out whipped my ass from a few days ago, my upper body is still a bit sore... which is pathetic.
Training Log

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2009, 06:58:56 PM »
Been training my backtucks a lot more lately, did my first one outside on concrete today. I think I'm going to lay off them for a while though and come back to them in a few weeks. My form is really shitty and I can't figure out how to fix it. I know I need to Jump up more and not set so far back, but I just cant seem to do it. I tried it and ended up laying out flat on the ground.

So I'll leave those alone for a while I think, even though I don't want to.

Saw one of my buddies from Cali today, lots of fun training with him.
Training Log

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2009, 01:50:47 AM »
Teehee  ;)

'Twas EAF!

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »
Indeed

Donated me some blood today, soooo sleepy.

Feels good though
Training Log

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2009, 11:26:20 PM »
Spent last night and some of today at APEX training, feel like I got some good training in. Bit scattered, but whatever.

Ryan showed me Korean Dips, those are quite a fun challenge.
Sorta did a barbuttbackflip dealio. Sorta.
Was able to manage 4 or 5 ring dips last night, only a few today, but I was tired. Spent some decent time in support reg and RTO

I've been thinking about getting various fitness certifications like ACE and NSCA, CSCS eventually. It would be a good way to get into a fitness center, which I think would be an enjoyable job for me.

I've been looking for a job for a while, and it F@*&ing Sucks. I hate Job hunting. Nothing.
Training Log

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2009, 12:50:28 AM »
Ohhh So much to cover.

Thursday, December 11

This was essentially my Thursday.

Skills test was 12 Ring dips, and ring dips are NOT my specialty, since I never train them. I've tried before and had only been able to do 2 at most, though I can rock out 3x5 at 40# or so on PB. I couldn't muscle up on rings either. But the fire was under my ass since it was tested and required. I steeled myself, thinking "I'm going to DO 12 ring dips. No ifs, ands, ors, buts, wahs, or woos about it". Got up in support, did 2. At my previous max. Started shaking a ton, but I managed to get it under control and back into support. Did 3 more, and started shaking a whole lot more. Went down , but then I slipped and fell out of it. I was still holding the rings though, and in a burst of mental EEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i MUSCLED UP on the rings, something I've tried and failed many times before. After that, I did 2 more dips before finally falling. I was SUPER satisfied.

Broad jump was no problem, hit 9"7'

Friday, December 12
Great day. Got to APEX around noon, and decided it was TIME to get back into my SS routine.

Started with 250m Sprint row @45s, was already warmed up a bit from jogging to the gym.

Squat
Dropped back a lot, wanted to form check.
2x5 x45
2x5 x95
1x4 x135
3x5 x165 - Felt great, form felt fine, was pretty easy, felt like I could have added 20# just fine.

Bench Press
2x5 x 45
1x5 x95
3x5 x 135 - felt mostly solid, was a little wobbly I think from lack of practice. Keep at same weight next w/o.

Didn't get my DL in, though I did do a few PC's at 115 with Dudley (5 total)
Ring dips, pullups, etc. Was quite varied until around 3:30, where we stopped to prep for Ninja Warrior night.

Ninja Warrior
Here was the really fun part.

5PM, qualifiers officially started. Did a 10 minute warmup or so, fairly basic.
After that, it was 5 rounds of qualification.

The First round was primarily a balance test. You had to stand on a punching bag and roll it over to step on a rail, where you had to railwalk about 25 ft or so before you had to get UP 3.5 ft onto a rail, balance some more, another step up onto a parallel bar, and finally to the mat.

The Second round was fun. Climb a ladder, swing on a rope to the big mat, then hobble on your hands across the parallel bars to a box, grab a ring(which were on either side of the high bar) and swing to the other ring, then cat a pillar.

In the third round, you had to grab a 20lb medicine ball, sprint across the spring floor, vault two 4 foot boxes, through a tubething on the ground, then over two 3 foot boxes, then sprint back around to place it on the pedestal. No dropping the ball (we were pretending it was a baby.

Fourth round, started where you crawl under the stage, over to whatever the gymnastics ladder thinggies are ( I think they are called stall bars) up 15 feet, over, down, but the FLOOR IS LAVA, so drop into a series of rail precisions, OVER the stage, cat to the bathroom, around a corner in shimmy, cattac over to a mat.

Fifth round was a sort of bonus round. Start at one end of the gym, up on a box, rope swing over to another, bounce off a tramp to the high bar, lache to the scaffolding, up around on top of the platform jump to a mat roll (wobbly), roll the mat over to the PBars, shimmy in halfcat across, over to a box, then precision another box... THEN... crazyness. There were these 2.5 foot long half foot wide pvc pipes with sandpaper at the top (for grip) that hung off the highbar... so they were wobbly. You had to grab a ring, reach up about 2 and ahalf feet to get onto it, get your other hand up there, then get to another one that was a little lower, then across to some thinner ones that were set perpendicular, across a ring, and cat the pillar. If you complete the course, you get 25s knocked off your total time.
Well, I made it all the way to the sandpaper rig, but something happened when I was going across, I put my arm over top of it, then I slipped and fell, and this happened to my arm

Slightly less on my other arm, but still there, I just couldnt do justice to BOTH in one picture, so I chose the worse looking one.

In any case, I had the lowest time out of NON instructors, (4th INCLUDING the instructors *like Ryan and Matt and Amos and Sat etc*) but I didn't really count for prizes since I sorta work there... so I was Kinda Sorta first

Then open gym for 2 hours

Saturday, December 12 (today)

Qualifications were over, today was the real challenge. Only about 7 people were even able to complete the entire course, And though I messed up my first run, I'm proud to say I made it with 0 errors my second run in about 5:40. Lowest time was around 4:48, but I was more concerned with getting through it, so I took a big break in the middle.

The course included a stride mission, some vaults, some rail balancing, a rope swing, then a pipe scoot across the high bar (sorta like in real ninja warrior but with only 1 center rail instead of 2, much more balance is required), then jump to scaffolding, up, jump fairly far out to a pad, through the mat tube, through a LAVA canal (some stood up pads, no touching), tac over a 4 foot pad (which I messed up my first run because I was STUPID and tried to just jump over it, but I was too tired and clipped the edge) run over, do a few vaults, up to the stage, tramp to underbar, run, tac back over the 4 footer, climb UP 20ft Ibeam, then climb across about 50ft of slackline... brutal, absolutely brutal... over to the stall bars, down the stall bars, over a rail, up on the stage, run across to wallrun, up to a similar contraption as the end of the round 5 of qualifiers, across, over to the 6foot box, drop cat under a noodle onto the stage... then victory dance.

Awesome couple of days.

I think that's it. If it's not... I don't care. I'm toasted from 3 days of hard training. Game over, I'm going to sleep. Night

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:54:14 AM by Jake Vigil (SS) »
Training Log

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2009, 09:24:32 PM »
Felt some pretty good progression this week. Worked my standing back tucks a lot, tonight I managed a 3ft or so standing gainer, first attempt. Attempted standing back fulls... they're hard. Learned a J-step, backflip ONTO about 3ft or so. Hmmm, what else? Roll to frontflip. Actually overrotated a standing front tuck the other day, nearly landed on my face.

Just been hangin out at the gym training. Fun stuff, feeling good.
Training Log

Offline midknightangel

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2009, 10:06:38 PM »
Your ninja warrior cource sounds amasing... it gives me some ideas formaking one thaks a lot. ;)

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
Good day in the gym today, nailed my first gainer off height, worked websters both legs, fixed up my J-step.

Felt very weak though, I did my poorest muscle up in months today, and wasn't able to complete a second (normally I can get 3 solid symmetrical MU's then another 3 with slight arm over). Dunno what happened.
Training Log

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »
Good day in the gym today, nailed my first gainer off height, worked websters both legs, fixed up my J-step.

Felt very weak though, I did my poorest muscle up in months today, and wasn't able to complete a second (normally I can get 3 solid symmetrical MU's then another 3 with slight arm over). Dunno what happened.
Did you stop training them for a while? MU's are a skill that you need to constantly train like planche work or it kind of deteriorates IMHO.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2009, 10:16:27 PM »
Nope. I bust a few muscle ups every time I'm at the gym, which nowadays is almost daily. I haven't done one in... 4 days, but I really dont think that would make a difference.
Training Log

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2010, 10:37:41 PM »
Great past couple of weeks. Been spending a lot of time Tricking at APEX. I need to find the motivation to get back into SS. Dudley, if you read this, help me out xD. If it takes you grabbing me by the balls with a pair of vice-grips and dragging me under the bar, do it. I'll thank you for it later.

Training Log

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
Lift you bastard!

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2010, 05:32:37 PM »
Lift you bastard!

I'll agree and mimic this sentiment.

Lift ya' bastard!
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:20 PM »
Was training at the gym today, got some lifting in (not structured really, Just helping out Christian. Benched 135x5, failed the next set at 3. Also got 2 PC's at 145. Christian was Deadlifting it, felt like I should be able to do it.

Some flips, landed some nearly perfect standing back tucks (Only going back a bit now when I try standing. If I Think about gainering a bit to land in place, I go too far forward. Perfectly in place is a bitch...)

Then My ankle sploded.

Was doing some rail stride work with Amos (Skylark), stride like 7 rails to the wall then tac off and stride back to the start. Did it a few times, solidly, but on my last run I guess I just hit it wrong. My right ankle rolled back and I dropped completely on to it. BOOM. Done. I knew it immediately too. Fortunately I was able to get it over my heart and Iced within 5 minutes, so I feel I'll be alright. Hopefully I can walk tomorrow, since I have a job... crap...
Training Log

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
So I woke up saturday (Day after Sprain) and my ankle hurt, but I walked around on it all day anyways, work work. Sunday was better, and today is better still, but it's still quite stiff and hurts if it bends any way besides straight up and down.

Went to the gym monday... er... Yesterday and lifted a bit with Christian. Mostly Benching, and some weighted pulls. Upper body stuff.

Today I went and got there cold, busted out 9 ring dips, paused because I was swinging, then busted out another 5 to make 14 (for some reason when I did it I thought it was 12, but it was actually 14). Sweet

Did about a dozen MU, a few handstands, mostly just hangin out and messing around. No flips. Not until I feel 110%
Training Log

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
Hit the gym yesterday. Dudley didn't believe I could do 14 ring dips, so he made me prove myself. And I did :D.

Decided to test my 1RM for the Bench, was a pathetic 155. Hah.

Weighted pulls are way down from where they were when I stopped at 25, I was trying it with 20 and it was like I couldn't get my muscles to even fire properly. I've been able to do like 2, but after that, its like my arms won't even really try... Fkin Annoying. I'll drop it back down to 10 or so, work my way back up.

Deadhang muscleups still arent symmetrical, which is where I'd LIKE them to be, so I'll keep working on those. Hopefully they will get better with the weighted pulls and ring dips.

And speaking of rings, ring muscleups are finally easier for me, now that I have those stabilizers set up, I think. Before it felt like the issue was just not being able to keep the rings stable, and that bit of work with Ring dips and RTO holds was awesome (Obviously, seeing as how I went from 2 ringdips to 14 in under a few weeks).

Ankle still hurts a bit when I bend it laterally too much. Realized it's probably going to be a couple of weeks if not a month before i'm really good to go again. Which is somewhat depressing, as I'm finding myself with these incredible urges to flip whenever I'm in the gym.
Training Log

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »
Attended the MLK jam Downtown, then the gym afterwards. Kept it fairly light, nothing too crazy. Played around with a lot of rail work at the gym (Dangerous, I know) and got myself a solid 10'4" rail precision. Yesterday I did a couple muscle ups in Dudley's apartment's fitness area, the bar was nice for it (Nice size, unlike the bars at APEX, which all absolutely suck for pull/muscle-ups.)

I meant to Bench today but I forgot till I didn't have enough time to do it properly. Oh well, no pecs for me I suppose.
Training Log