Author Topic: Eon Death a Hoax  (Read 18573 times)

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
Re: Eon Death a Hoax
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »
And oh yeah, you don't seem very good at all from your video.  You don't have enough experience to make a choice like this.  I don't know why you think you do... you haven't been doing parkour for more than 18 months and you ARE NOT THAT GOOD... even for that short amount of time.  So what gave you the idea it was your choice to pull something like this?

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »
I don't see this thread being any more productive. It was a bs move, we had our say... let's just move on.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline RunCincy

• Mangabey
  • maybe rolling is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2008, 12:38:49 PM »
whodahhh thunkk it
you betcha on muh horse

Offline noxteryn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • The Japan Man
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Greece
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2008, 01:25:02 PM »
Eon has helped build the Greek Parkour community, and he used to be my co-admin (I have resigned for a while now) on pkgr.org, the official Greek Parkour site. He has helped and taught hundreds of local traceurs with the ways of Parkour, and they are living proof of Eon's worth. Eon is a remarkable person, and his methods of teaching may not be the most controversial, but he always manages to get his point across. That's what makes his teachings so special.

This time, his target was the internet, and how information circulates through it. Just because something has been posted elsewhere, doesn't make it true. Google doesn't prove anything. People talked about how they "checked and confirmed it" when all they did was look if it had been posted in another forum. Nobody bothered to really research. Nobody bothered to look at the video description closely, or the tags. The verdict: The internet is shit, and people are gullible when acting like mobs. Do not take people's words for granted, my friends. No one should be treated like an authority, and that goes for the Parkour community as well. When you ask for advice on the internet, do not follow it blindly.

Another point that were talking about on the phone earlier was this. Eon said to me: "There is a person in Uzbekistan that hates me. He has never met me and didn't even know of my existence since last week, but now he hates me and wishes I was dead." Aside the fact that people wishing Eon to die because he lacks the so-called "Parkour Spirit" gives a new meaning to the word "irony", it is really interesting that people can take such trite things so seriously. This is the internet, fellas. Lighten up. Relax. Take a chill pill. Besides, Sebastien Foucan's own opinion on Parkour and Free-Running is: "Don't take it too seriously."

The dangers of Parkour have already been mentioned, so I won't say anything about that.

Anyway, from what I understand, that's only part of what Eon was trying portray with all this, I'm sure he can explain more.
 :)

As for my motives of putting the video together and getting involved in this... I did it for the lulz.
 ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 01:29:53 PM by noxteryn »
"Practice makes permanent - not perfect."

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2008, 02:01:08 PM »
so is the whole greek traceur community just mentally challenged then?  That is all this post is teaching me...

It either has people who:
1) Jump off buildings
2) Fake their death
3) Help People do either 1 or 2.

Not hating, thats just how its coming off...

BTW in America, I am fairly certain faking death in any capacity is a federal offense.

Offline Kiernan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
.....dude wtf?! You did it for the lolz?! There wasn't anything funny about how upset everyone was, I actually cried dude.....and when I was talking to Eon earlier I was hoping he would give us an actual answer.....one that actually meant something not "I did it for the lolz" that's slightly f#cked......I mean c'mon you could of had some lolz by just doing it to the greek PK community NOT the international community ::) f#ck bro........can you PLEASE come up with something better than this?! If not then that's ridiculously shallow, I mean if you guys had a GOOD point to it, I might have laughed too but this is pretty bad....

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2008, 02:20:49 PM »
i was skeptical from the beginning because a) i could find no confirmation from any news source, b) the was no mention of anything from aristotle university, and c) that such a smoothly editted video was posted just one day after the supposed death. how was it put together and posted so fast, especially by friends who should be in the shock of loss and mourning? and if they got the news out so fast, how did the media drop the ball so badly?

i overlooked these discrepancies on good faith in the greek parkour community, and because the possibility of a hoax was more horrible to believe than the supposed "truth." i'm naturally a trusting person.  i like to assume the best, and give others the benefit of the doubt.  it really stings when that is taken advantage of.  it is sad that you would sacrifice the trust of others to prove a point. to lie to people and then say "you're too trusting" is really kind of twisted.  it's manipulative.
Queen of Puns

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »
I don't understand how so many people can get so emotionally involved with a death of a person they have never met or even knew existed.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
I was holding off on posting in this thread until you guys explained why you did this, and I'm glad I did... You guys made a great point doing what you did. It was a scathing comment on how information gets propagated on the internet, specifically the parkour community. After reading the info on the youtube video page i thought it was probably not real (and told people that), but i couldn't think of a reason why you would do this. I'm interested in how this will play out as far as how it will affect the parkour community and how news and information is treated. I was just talking today about how all the "drama" and friction in the community is caused by the internet; people simply don't say the types of things to people's faces that they do online. Besides that, the internet skews the things people say and in that way a lot of opinions become lost in translation, even if there is no actual language barrier.
Despite your methods, you've given everyone a lot to think about...
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline WQ F

• Patas
  • Group Theory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
Here is my new thoughts:
What if some one would die of parkour in the future? Some people would think that might be false too and everyone would just ignore the news. People would not be certain what to believe and that can create further complications.
You shouldn't try to do multiple experiments to calculate linear vertical acceleration over large distances.

Offline Kiernan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »
I don't understand how so many people can get so emotionally involved with a death of a person they have never met or even knew existed.

::) I can't believe I have to explain this......

It's a mix between the fact that human life is so short, alot of people thought "hey that could've been me"
Also parkour brings people together (duhhhhhh) and everyone is pretty close just because of the simple fact that we do parkour and we all love it.....

Offline John VO

• Guenons
  • *Smile, smile*
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »
If the lesson is to not take things for face value on the internet, that's a sh**** lesson. Of course we know that! Wikipedia proves that!

The problem is that he changed information. The only thing this exercise might do in the future is create mistrust in the international community! The Greek forums said "He's dead" and we should've been able to trust that information.

Now I just feel uncomfortable.

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2008, 02:57:23 PM »
Lame.

Offline Casquinha

• Mangabey
  • Dan Handley --- formerly "CommandoChicken"
    • View Profile
    • Joke Pizza
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »
I understand that there was a point being proven.  But the question is in the method.  People were actually crushed by the "news", and were even collecting donations.  The Internet may not be the most trustworthy source for news, but it is still the best communication tool in history.  The best way to combat dishonesty is not to take part.

There was also recently a news article where the reporter claimed that there had been many deaths related to parkour.  The media loves to play on xenophobia.  Now if any idiot climbs on a roof and falls off, regardless of whether the person knew of parkour or not, there will be those who claim it's related to parkour.  Your little stunt may have given us all a rather prominant black eye.  It certainly hurt Team Kinesis.

-- Daniel C. Handley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 03:43:13 PM by CommandoChicken »
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave no trace." -- A much better version

Offline Kyle Ryan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2008, 03:40:31 PM »
@noxteryn:

The only thing that I can really see that you "did for the lulz" was putting he was part of the prestigious Team Kinesis in your youtube description.

Prestigious?!?! lol

Offline noxteryn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • The Japan Man
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Greece
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
@noxteryn:

The only thing that I can really see that you "did for the lulz" was putting he was part of the prestigious Team Kinesis in your youtube description.

Prestigious?!?! lol
Yes, that was one of the many, many, many hints we included so that people would know beyond doubt that Eon wasn't really dead, but apparently it wasn't enough.
 ::)

Offline Brian Devaughn Hamilton

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • the pic is from yearbookyourself.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
Ok i really wanted to stay away from this but one thing really bothers me. you said "Don't take it too seriously." how could you not expect us to take a death seriously? i mean right now it doesnt matter how many people you helped in the past or what you intentions were. you are a lier and can't be trusted. what ever lesson you have intended has been lost because you have caused so much hatred. maybe you and your friends think people are taking this way to seriously but not everyone jokes about death as you do. and people are just as mad at the your team because they are trying to justify your fake death. they admit what you did was wrong, but they still try to justify it. i pretty sure that what i am saying probably want make a difference about your opinion in thinking that what you did was right. but i hope that you really do realize that what ever you were trying to do is lost because you made a joke of death, and you and your team has lost the respect of many people.

Hyper_Mode

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »
Here is my new thoughts:
What if some one would die of parkour in the future? Some people would think that might be false too and everyone would just ignore the news. People would not be certain what to believe and that can create further complications.

Yeah +1 man, I agree with you, it would be like the boy who cried wolf...

Offline noxteryn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • The Japan Man
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Greece
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »
Here is my new thoughts:
Yeah +1 man, I agree with you, it would be like the boy who cried wolf...
This allegory makes absolutely no sense. You would ignore a boy crying wolf? Then you'd be an asshole, no matter what the boy has done. I would always run to help the boy and find out if a wolf really existed, because there's always the chance of him telling the truth. This story is silly, and it was made up by dumb mothers who wanted their kids not to pull pranks.

Besides, the point of this isn't to ignore the news, but to investigate it. Do some research, find out if it is really true, before posting it everywhere or telling your friends. Do NOT reproduce unconfirmed information.

Offline ToPaxyGourouni

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »
    Then again, It is all about facing the facts in my opinion. People mourned for eon's death, and now he is alive they are angry... I am under the impression that when you mourn for someone, you basically do not want them to be dead. So when they actually prove to be alive, you get angry? Sounds like weird way of thinking to me.

First of, why were you that sad? You did not know the guy, any of you. You were sorry because he (supposedly) died from pk practice. What if a traceur died from a car crash? Or from cancer? I bet none would be that sorry then. So it was not actually about eon's death, it was about someone dying from parkour. So it was all about juicy news after all. That's why the news traveled all around the globe without any search or evidence of truth. That's why none would have bothered if the fall "caused eon to become handicapped for life". But death, yeah that's more spicy, let's spread it. After all, in the bottom of our hearts we were all expecting to read about a pk death somewhere over the internet, didn't we?

Secondly, I heard people making donations or giving money to plant trees in Greece because of Eon's dying. And after that proved to be a lie, people felt angry. So I will suppose they never intended on actually giving money on planting trees. So why did they do it in the first place? So they can boast about it later?

As you all say, death is not something we should joke about. But finally it proves that death is not real , and guess who are the first one to be disappointed? You! All of you!

And that's a weird way of thinking to me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:50:37 PM by ToPaxyGourouni »