Author Topic: What can we do? (For Eon's Family)  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
Re: What can we do? (For Eon's Family)
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »
We were already setting up a jam for the second Virginia Statewide for the weekend of Nov 29th/30th.

So that could work if everyone wanted to go around that date.
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline Pierce Mullis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »
 I don't really want to be.. this kind of person really, but since no one else has said it, do you ever wonder if people would rather just the thought drift off then to continue to live it every year? I know you are all trying to help his mum/dad/whomever in his family feel better, but if I ever received stuff after my son died, it would just make me remember all the painful memories I went through the day I heard the news.

Of course... just throwing this opinion out there. Just want everyone to look at all the options, afterall, is that not what we train for?

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 01:40:23 PM »
i dont think they meant send a tree every year, or even a card every year, i think it was a one time deal

Offline Pierce Mullis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
i dont think they meant send a tree every year, or even a card every year, i think it was a one time deal
I know.. but, imagine a year after your son had just died... walking to that tree and seeing his name, date of birth and death again. Wouldn't that depress you?

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »
I know.. but, imagine a year after your son had just died... walking to that tree and seeing his name, date of birth and death again. Wouldn't that depress you?
Is it best to forget the ones you loved?

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:33 PM »
true true^^, grave stones are the same thing, people go look at those to remember the good times they had with that person, the tree would be somwhere close to that, like the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC

Offline chodantraceur

• Patas
  • Moveo ergo sum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 07:53:08 PM »
We were all about to help like this, and it's all a hoax. At least my respect for the APK community has gone up.

"Fear is just the word ear with an "F" in front of it and ears are pretty funny."  - Jackson Miller
http://inov-8.com/Home.asp?L=27

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
Yeah, you gotta respect the APK community. As soon as we heard about it we jumped on it and were immediatly thinking of things that we could do to help.

It would've been bad if we actually had sent flowers. His parents would be all "ftw!?" hahaha
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 04:50:20 AM »
I'd like to thank the (very few) people who sent me offers for donations to plant trees in Eon's name.

As for anyone who's respect for the APK community has gone up for this, here is a reality check, out of hundreds or thousands of active members, TWO people sent me emails that they would like to donate to the fund, and APK itself was the third, matching one of the offers.

People may have discussed ideas in here, but really very few people "DID" anyhting. I'd have to say that for people who are working to be strong to be useful, talking is not enough.

Thanks again to the TWO people who sent me offers for donations, I appreciate it.

Shae, I'm not trying to pick on you, but you illustrate my feelings perfectly "were immediatly thinking of things" --- thinking is not sufficient, to bring change you must act. Very few people acted. "All your dreams, your plans, all your hopes and wishes won't change the world one bit, but a tiny action does"

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Aaron Ream

• Patas
  • "Kansas"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »
It's not that we didn't want to. I'm sure a lot of people did, but not everyone can donate any sum of money. I'd love to donate a good $30, but it wasn't till just a day or two after the news got out that people started pointing out chance of it being a prank. I think a lot of people didn't donate was because of this chance. If everything became all official and such, I'm sure you would have gotten a lot more over a longer period of time.
I'll never look back
Ive got No Regrets
Cause time doesn't wait for me
I Choose to go my own way

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 11:21:40 PM »
Mark- Your right. Actions absolutely get a lot more done than "what if's". I was just saying APK as a whole reacted very well.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 06:05:24 AM »
There was certainly a reason. No more good was going to come from it.

This thread, too.