Author Topic: So frustrating (Handstand Help)  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Altus Gerhardt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
So frustrating (Handstand Help)
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »
I've been wanting to get handstands for so long and have practiced for so long, but still I can't get up in a handstand and balance...Also when I'm up in the handstand and after a few my wrists start to kill me.  How can I actually make progress on a handstand and actually be able to handstand for at least like 15 seconds?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:00:33 AM by Jereme Sanders »

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
Re: So frustrating
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:50:14 PM »
I know you don't want to hear this but, just try over and over, you'll slowly strengthen your shoulders, arms and wrists to withstand your weight.

You can also do other wrist exercises. I don't know any specific ones but search around and you'll find some.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »
I have a similar issue. I try probably 20-30 handstands a day, and I just cant seem to balance for longer than a few seconds. I can hold myself fine, but I cant find my balance
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »
Keep tryin, guys. It took me a few years, and I still mess up and gotta change fiddle around to find my balance.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:58:40 AM »
Use a wall to gain the strength necessary first, then as you progress you can move away from it. If you are experiencing a lot of pain though you should work wrist strengthening exercises.

"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Tai

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: So frustrating (Handstand Help)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:22:50 AM »
I know what you mean with the wrists, I definitely would say use a wall, but make sure you are at least six inches away from it, you only want to use the wall if you fall back to far. Also i have loose shoulders so i had to do a lot of strength training to get to the point where i could hold the handstand for more than 15 seconds, inclined push ups were the most effective for me cause that way i could get used to having more weight on my arms and the angle at a slower pace.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 06:42:49 AM »
See, as for me, I can hold a handstand against a wall for about 45 seconds, and my wrists have sufficiently strengthened, but I cant seem to get balancing down. I start to fall, and I cant figure out how to shift myself to stay up. It is rather aggravating. And even most of the times I fall off the wall are just me falling from losing balance, even off a wall.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 07:03:03 AM »
Nothing magic is going to instantly change that, bro. Just keep working at it. It's like precisions on rails. Finding that balance happens some times, doesn't happen other times, but it takes just repetition and sensitivity to master it. Just don't do so much repetition that you hurt your wrists. Mind you, handstands are not the most useful skill in Parkour or even freerunning, and you need your wrists for most other movements out there.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Kyle Ryan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
Alright I have a question. I was wondering if it was easier to do handstands on the ground or using a pair of paralettes. I am using the paralettes because I like to have something to hold onto, and I thought that once I could throw myself up on those, doing it on the ground would be easier.

Is this wrong?

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »
Parallettes are different...

its not harder or easier...its just different.

you also need to make sure you are in good form...too many people here throw up handstands and their legs are all over the place flailing around and such.

Lock your ankles together, point your toes, squeeze your ass and your abs and PUSH against the ground.  When you have good form it will all fall into place from there.

Also work on HSPU against a wall.  The full ROM dynamic strength will help your static ability greatly.

Offline Kyle Ryan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 02:08:30 PM »
Alright thanks Chris. I do have decent form, but I am lacking in one aspect. I cant do a HSPU, let alone push up into a full handstand, do you have any advice??? I can hold it, when I start straight armed for about 30 seconds. But when I try and push up into it. It doesnt work...

Also, how are you so educated? Just obsessed with fitness and health(no offense at all)? Or are you going to school for it?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:11:09 PM by Kyle Ryan »

Offline Julian Vazquez (954-FR)

• Guenons
  • Jump Higher, Spin Faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »
As for Chris - hes probly just an experienced Traceur. More so than you or I.

What I do?
Go up to a wall, and about 2 feet away from it, try and go up into a handstand without having anything touch the wall, one leg up first with the other immediately and fluently following. Balance without having to lean on the wall as long as you can, and when you have to lean on the wall, only stay on for a few seconds and then push back off again, trying to stay as straight as possible and still without falling out of the hand stand or having to lean on the wall again.

Works for me.
Ive gone from 1 seconds, to like 4 seconds in the past week trying that since its kinda all I can really do safely with a messed up foot.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »
Alright thanks Chris. I do have decent form, but I am lacking in one aspect. I cant do a HSPU, let alone push up into a full handstand, do you have any advice??? I can hold it, when I start straight armed for about 30 seconds. But when I try and push up into it. It doesnt work...

When I said PUSH against the ground I meant once you are fully into a handstand you need to make sure you are activly shrugging your shoulders towards your ears as if you are pushing against the ground.  Practice this against a wall first.  Get in good form with your face towards the wall and away from it then you can likely move away....

For HSPU, go into a HS against the wall.  Assume proper form but lean your weight against the wall so that you don't need to focus on balance.  Then lower yourself all the way down slow and controlled.  Do this on parallettes and go ALL the way down.  When you're done, kick back up into an extended HS and then do it again a few more times.  These are HSPU negatives.  This will help build the strength necessary for full HSPUs.

Also, how are you so educated? Just obsessed with fitness and health(no offense at all)? Or are you going to school for it?

Obsessed with fitness, health, parkour and training....and i took some courses when I was still in school....in exercise physiology, anatomy and physiology and electrophysiology, to name a few...

Most of what I learned is from the internet and talking to the right people who know what they are talking about like Steve Low and people on a bunch of other forums.

As for Chris - hes probly just an experienced Traceur. More so than you or I.

More experienced in training/nutrition/getting strong maybe...but when it comes to parkour skills I have a bit of a ways to go :)

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 08:39:19 PM »
I don't think there is any secret to this dude. I have found that doing them over and over and over and over again is the best way to get better. Good luck man.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
Havent cared about handstands in a while (besides HSPU and for time (wall assisted)) so I just tried a few and realized I now suck at them... Like I can only hold for no more than 5 seconds
So i searched, found this thread, and now we're here
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline ALo9

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
So would you say that its not realistic to have a pretty solid handstand down in 2-3 weeks? I plan on practicing them for about 45 minutes-1 hour 2x a day (one in morning/one in evening). Also, this is the first time that I've really tried to tackle a handstand. I''m pretty sure I've got the strength for it, but just can't find the balance like other people... I'm uploading some vids on youtube right now to try and get tips and advice on my handstands, so I'll make a post here when they're done...

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
Enjoy

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Hoffman/YorkHandBalance/yorkhb.htm

(livewire used these when he was injured and got nasty on his hands)
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »
Handstands come with time and practice, over time practicing hanstands, you get better at balancing, and your wrists and core get stronger and are able to resist falling more.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Alan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Flip Yeah, Parkour!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
Just keep doing handstands against a wall. Eventually you get to the point that you can hold freestanding handstands for 3-4 seconds, then 5-6...
If your wrists get sore, get a 10-15lb dumbbell. Hold it in one hand and rest your whole arm on a solid surface. Now, JUST USING YOUR WRIST, raise and lower the dumbbell until you get tired. Rinse and repeat.
It took me about two months to get to a solid handstand that I felt comfortable doing in public. If you do more upper-body conditioning (pull-ups, push-ups, etc.) you can probably cut that time down.

Offline mnugghuhx

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
I am SUPER frustrated with handstands.  I am not used to not being able to pick up a new skill nearly instantly.  Driving me nuts. 

Back to practice!
I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my bedroom and was in bed before the room was dark.

Muhammad Ali