Author Topic: Slight knee pain  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Tom "Hayabusa" Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Self-training wanna-be from Guam...lol
    • View Profile
Slight knee pain
« on: October 20, 2008, 02:52:05 AM »
I developed a slight ache in my knee in the middle of doing precision jumps during conditioning today.  My range of motion is fine, and the knee seems to be fine while I'm walking, but when doing jumps or squats, my knee starts to ache a little bit after a few repetitions.  It's not a sharp pain or anything, but it's definitely something, so I stopped training for the day and decided to rest the knee until further notice.  I know any kind of knee pain is serious business, but given the mildness of the pain involved, should I be too concerned or will I be fully functional again after a few days?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return."

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Slight knee pain
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:14:42 AM »
This happens to me occasionally. I would recommend waiting it out a few days to see if it heals. Don't do anything too damaging on your knees, but if It is just an ache, it is probably just your knees strengthening.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Tom "Hayabusa" Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Self-training wanna-be from Guam...lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:48:50 PM »
I'm not too sure if knees are sore during the reparation period like muscles are, but thanks for the advice. 

I'm pretty sure it's my patella and not my meniscus, as I tried doing a "test squat" earlier today and it hurt a little bit getting out of the hole.  So I deduced the pain is probably a result of a bad landing when I was doing box jumps yesterday.  I landed on a slightly uneven surface and I got distracted and straightened my legs out instead of cushioning the fall.  I really felt it in my knee, but since there was no initial pain, I kept going for a couple more reps, which is when I started to feel the ache in my knee.  It's not bad, though, so hopefully a few days of rest will be enough to resolve it, since there's no swelling or tenderness in the problem area.

By the way, are there any leg strengthening exercises I can do to strengthen the muscles around my knee while it's out of commission?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return."

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:46 PM »
As stated, take a few days off....but definitely not for the reason given. If your joint/tendon is experiencing pain it won't be a good thing. Don't push through pain and start RICE.

At the moment, I can't think of any real exercise that would strengthen the muscles around the knee without causing motion about the knee joint. If squats hurt then you have an issue and should wait it out. If the issue does not go away even after RICE treatment seek professional advice.

It should only be a few days so just be patient and lay off of it. You won't notice any deficiencies because you rested for a couple days.

Offline NateBearPig

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:31:58 AM »
I have a similar problem; the slightest pain in my right knee :P.  Hurts a bit when i bend it inward towards my left leg...  I learned backflips recently and i think it might be the cause (landing funny or something).  If anybody else has the same thing:  backflip = knee problem,  post here.

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »
not quite backflipping, but if i run for more than 3/4 a mile on concrete actually running, my knees start hurting on each side, like both knees, but the sides of each knee, any idea, happens when biking more than 1/2 mile of pedaling (sp), but no problems when doing anything parkour related( as in landings or vaults, wallruns, tic-tacs, anything)

Offline NateBearPig

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »
yea that's odd, parkour seems like a higher impact activity than running but i can sort of relate; i did pullvaulting last year for shits and giggles (twas a shitload of fun) but i felt like it was doing something weird to my run.  Just on our two lap warmup (800m) my legs felt like crap.  Seems ok now though.  You sould look at the "An aproach to proper running technique" under general fitness.  Would add a link but don't know how.

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
thanks, ill check that out, and anybody else that might have info please post haha