Author Topic: Woodland Parkour  (Read 3432 times)

Offline .Nico

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Woodland Parkour
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:29:12 PM »
Next year i will be moving to Pearson College, a boarding school in Vancouver Island, Canada. The campus is in the middle of nowhere; very beautiful, but the closest town is a 15min drive away and only has a general store and a cafe. I was wondering what kind of training you can do in the woods. I was excited at first, but my creativity soon dwindled. I executed a dive roll over a log, and landed on a rock which had been covered in moss. I was bruised up pretty bad, and have been out for a few days. Anyway, my question is - what kind of training can you do in a forest? It seems like a lot less vaulting and more running and climbing and jumping. I will probably go to jams in the city of Victoria on saturdays, but i am worried that that won't be enough. I also would love to be able to really adapt to the forest environment - i just dont know how. Any tips?

psycosis12

Re: Woodland Parkour
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:41:38 PM »
well this is what i would do, i would arrange some fallen trees on some stumps and try vaulting those maybe your campus has some good things aronud it, but all i can think of is the tree idea............

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:50:03 PM »
Your campus would be the best for non forest related Parkour but as of training in the forest your best bet would probobly be to make your own obsticles. Just remember training in the forest is a good way to better your ability to adapt to any environment while running because you can't predict as easy whats up next in your path (in a forest).
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 04:27:21 PM »
With the trees, you really just have to find ways to be creative with the branches. Find a good size tree (thick enough to pop on) and go from there. Look for spaces between branches and what not. Here's an old short video I have that is mostly stuff on one tree. See if any of it can apply to the stuff in your area - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=620772409&n=2 putfile wouldn't work...
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 06:43:06 PM »
That old video by skip (I think skipper revolution) shows a lot of woodland parkour. Look for that video.

Skip... ;D
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline .Nico

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 07:45:59 PM »
beautiful video traceur, you look like you have adapted really well to your environment. That is exactly what i was looking for. I also checked out skipper's vid. I dont think it will be too much of a problem living in the forest. I see it as an opportunity to adapt. Thanks.

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 09:07:24 PM »
Nice video! Ugly ducking, and natural environments; two of my favourite things!
And yes, you're only limited by your mind, creativity and ability to adapt to different environments.

"If you can think it, you can pretty much parkour it."
-Parkour World Tour

=D

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 10:11:50 PM »
My favorite enviorment to train in are natural, the first few times I went out in the woods I had hard time figuring out what I was supposed as far as parkour. But I just kept the mindset an ran, and I found an amazing array of obstacles. Vaulting over fallen logs, jumping over streams, leaping from rock to rock, climbing up steep slopes. The obstacles are just different then those you can find in urban enviorments. Just go out and look for a route that looks challenging and run through it find a way over obstacles, don't think about trying to do standard parkour techniques just find the most efficient way through the forest.

There is some more inspiration.

http://rapidshare.de/files/10481985/stannum_pk_-_nature.zip.html

I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 07:07:21 AM »
Now all to hope for is less weeds.  ;D and prickers :-[ I have a lot of those down here, blah.

Offline goldie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 10:06:22 AM »
climb trees! i do it all the time lol i think it helps with a lot of things to do with pk and its fun so hey? :)
0 ( unhappy cyclops