Author Topic: Point A to Point B???  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Adrianortiz

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Point A to Point B???
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »
I know that when you go train your suppose to check out rail and walls and see if there ok to traine on. I just wondered if anyone really uses parkour to get from Point A to Point B as quick as possible. I wish I could do that but the area around my house is mostly flat land. The only time I get to do really good runns is when Im downtown. And I mostly traine in little spotts that only have one or the other kinds of obsticals.

Offline Alex L.

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Point A to Point B???
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »
I kind of have a problem with the defenition of parkour for being the art of getting from point A to point B. That's a bit decieving. Point A is at one side of the football field. Point B is on the other. There are really no vaults or anything involved, so is this defenition implying that no sort of obstacles are required to overcome there? I don't know i just don't like the defenition.

Offline Ron

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 05:53:07 PM »
That's why we run. If point A is elsewhere, we can use our skills. We are not our skills, they augment us.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »
Ahaha when you're training or playing you don't have to set the goals in such a way.  If you want to get across the football field as efficiently as possible to point B than it is still parkour.

And I use parkour all the time to get from point A to point B.  Just today I used it to vault over a railing to get to the near by market to pick up some food before our bus left (I was in a hurry too ;))

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:53:31 PM »
Isn't the running an obstacle? Parkour can be done anywhere[/size][/font].

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:33:19 PM »
from point A to point B, but also from point B to point A

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:49:03 PM »
In parkour, we strive to move and be able to move with a purpose and usefulness that can help us get from point A to B. And in the strictest terms parkour is "Being able to move through the environment as effectively and quickly as possible using only the human body", remember, that's in the strictest term.

I've looked at the difference between free running and parkour and came to this conclusion:

Parkour- Trying to move through the environment as quickly as possible with a purpose, but also having the freedom of movement to move how you want and what feels natural to you through the environment
Free Running- Moving through the environment with freedom of movement, no rules, no limits. Free Running ARE moving with a purpose though, it's to move without one.

Free Runners can still use their training with flips and spins to move through the environment in a bit different ways than Traceurs, and vice versa.

So in the end, forget the definitions and just go train ;)

I just realized how off topic i was so directly to your question...I've never used it for Point A to B, but maybe someday i will which keeps me training.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Aaron Ream

• Patas
  • "Kansas"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
I think of it like those Rubix cube enthusiasts, cubers or w/e. Anyways, they talk about it doesn't matter how long it takes you to solve one, just as long as the next time you try to solve it, your aim is a faster time, that makes you a "cuber." Parkour, is just the mindset of trying to get from Point A to Point B. It's not having to use the movements, but knowing that if there was something in the way, they're avaliable to use anytime.
I'll never look back
Ive got No Regrets
Cause time doesn't wait for me
I Choose to go my own way

Offline Adrianortiz

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »
Thanks for the defitions.And I was just wondering if do you use it from your self expereinces.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, but i posted this in another thread and it seems to pertain-

The common definition of parkour "a to b as efficient as possible blah blah blah" is misleading. Parkour is a method of training to be comfortable moving in your environment, in 3-d space, in order to be able to surpass any obstacle with speed and efficiency, or to move in any manner that is deemed necessary by circumstance. I won't go into the differences (or lack thereof   ;) ) between parkour and freerunning, but the important thing to note is that parkour is a method of training, not an action. If it were defined that way, I could be walking down the street to a destination and then vault a wall and continue walking, was I only "doing parkour" for that split second I was performing a "parkour move"? No.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:12:26 AM »
my deffinition of parkour that i use to explain to anyone comes form studying the founders like the yamakasi, david belle, stephane, kazuma.  it is as follows:   parkour is a disipline in which the traceur, or practitioner of parkour, trains their mind and body to be capable of overcommiong any obstacle and adapt to any situation in the most efficient manner.   
 this includes free running and le'art du deplacement because they are all the exact same thing.    in this deffinition flips and tricks and just plain running are all obstacles just like rails and walls. everyone has their own focuses in parkour ,however, some only stick to a to b and some like to do flips, but both will improve your mind and body.  thats why the founders call it the art of parkour as well as the dicipline. in parkour everyone has their own style but we are all still traceurs( ex. danny and blane are both traceurs  they just have different styles/focusses).

and yes i use the a to b thing alot. ;D
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Kyle Ryan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 08:42:27 AM »
I kind of have a problem with the defenition of parkour for being the art of getting from point A to point B. That's a bit decieving. Point A is at one side of the football field. Point B is on the other. There are really no vaults or anything involved, so is this defenition implying that no sort of obstacles are required to overcome there? I don't know i just don't like the defenition.

The football field example is one that I am having trouble with. Why would you randomly just need to go from one end of the football field to the other? I cannot even think of a scenario of where I would just have to run from one end zone to another for no reason. Unless you are playing a game of football, then the opposing team would be your obstacle. That is a case where you could use parkour.

But seriously, running from one side to the other and stopping? What else would be the point? Can't see one, because point A is the starting point and point B is the ending point.

Offline Casquinha

• Mangabey
  • Dan Handley --- formerly "CommandoChicken"
    • View Profile
    • Joke Pizza
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 05:18:16 PM »
The only problem with the idea that it's about getting from point A to point B as efficiently as possible is that if there are not sufficient obstacles, one is tempted to get to point B via points C, D, and E.  So much for efficiency.

-- Daniel C. Handley
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave no trace." -- A much better version

Offline WQ F

• Patas
  • Group Theory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »
I just started parkour, so I'm shocked that people aren't using it to go efficiently from point A to point B? Then why I'm I learning this?  ??? ??? I want to be efficient!

I actually do use Parkour to go efficiently from point A to point B everyday. Everyday, when I try to get to my seats in class or getting out of my seat. It is very convenient to just turn vault the table, rather than walking around all the tables. My problem is that I have to pause to take off my book bag before I vault over it. I'm going to train until I can just kong over the desk with a heavy book bag on.

You shouldn't try to do multiple experiments to calculate linear vertical acceleration over large distances.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »
The only problem with the idea that it's about getting from point A to point B as efficiently as possible is that if there are not sufficient obstacles, one is tempted to get to point B via points C, D, and E.  So much for efficiency.

-- Daniel C. Handley

however, its not bad to feed ourselves with obstacles. this is explained in Belle's -le vrai parkour-

Offline Alex L.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 09:36:16 PM »

The football field example is one that I am having trouble with. Why would you randomly just need to go from one end of the football field to the other? I cannot even think of a scenario of where I would just have to run from one end zone to another for no reason. Unless you are playing a game of football, then the opposing team would be your obstacle. That is a case where you could use parkour.

But seriously, running from one side to the other and stopping? What else would be the point? Can't see one, because point A is the starting point and point B is the ending point.

such as.... Someone has your girlfriend held hostage on the other side! Run over there and save her. Point A you at the endzone of the football field Point B your girlfriend on the otherside.

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 09:48:14 PM »
Somebody is mimicking the closing scene of The Breakfast Club and you want to punch their lights out.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali