Author Topic: who do you look up to as a traceur?  (Read 7920 times)

Offline Casquinha

• Mangabey
  • Dan Handley --- formerly "CommandoChicken"
    • View Profile
    • Joke Pizza
Re: who do you look up to as a traceur?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 03:29:05 PM »
Anybody who can do a flip over my head.  If I want to see them, I have to look up!   ;D

Actually, I'm still fairly new, so I look up just about everyone ... since they all seem to be a little better than me right now.

-- Daniel C. Handley
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave no trace." -- A much better version

Leon_Kazihachi

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »
Sebastien Foucan & Forrest from PK Gen.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 04:44:30 PM »
Hmmm.  Well I base mine mainly on attitude and dedication.  Not necessarily in a particular order:

David Belle
Stephane
Forrest
The other Yamakasi Guys
Blane

Over Here:  Demon, Levi, M2, tyson...

All the other guys on the tribe, and anyone I have ever trained with.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »
Every traceur who is better than me.  I want to learn so much from them all :D

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »
M2- without him, I don't think Parkour would really exist for me.

PK Gen- I have the utmost respect for these guys.

Yamakasi- Well duh!
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
I look up to the same people i look side-to-side to. That being my teammates on the tribe / alliance. With a little emphasis on Mark because of his excessive hard work in keeping this place running.

There are people all over the world that I will look up to, but then I meet them and realize we're all the same, all instant friends, and have the same broad goals.

Oh and Ken. Smartest guy ive ever met. BTW I need you to fix me again ;P

haha, thanks skip, but i think the question was "as a traceur" :), maybe one day with enough training you'll be able to look up to me in that manner!
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
Most of all, Demon and Forrest. Their videos got me into parkour for certain. To a lesser extent, pretty much everybody else.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 04:24:48 PM »
only me cuz im da best!...   bahaha im just domin ya.    of course the french founders, but im also in love with alot of the people in the uk seen like  teg, callum, danny, chase, livewire, philly d.  also bj lang and chris grant from scotland     in america i have alot of respect for jereme sanders as well as anyone who went to the san antonio jam  i liked everyone i met.     and of course  M2   hes the man!!!
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Zack Newkumet

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 04:59:06 PM »
Blane, Demon, David Belle and Cyril Raffaelli are my tops! Specially Blane. Godly precisions...
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."
-Brendan Gill

"Try as hard as we may for perfection, the net result of our labors is an amazing variety of imperfectness. We are surprised at our own versatility in being able to fail in so many different ways."

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 06:09:41 PM »
TIGOR!!! I feel like he's a good friend of mine, even thought we couldn't even communicate because of the language barrier. He's a great guy, I didn't even know what his name was at the time, but I met up with him in Lisses and he was cool with bringing me to Paris to train for the day. I don't think hes a big name in parkour, but he's at a very high level, and very inspiring.

It's amazing how parkour can bring people together, i'd never thought I'd be on the road to Paris with three traceurs who I couldn't even talk to. Hell, it wasn't till the end of the day when I learned their names.

Offline Sam Zytka

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
parkour gen and the founders for their ridiculous discipline, 3run boys for their all around ridiculous skill, and people that just move extemely fluidly like Cionn, Blane, and Dim Monk

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »
Jackie Chan...

Spider-Man...

3run: Most inspirational and skilled team I've seen.

Skynative: Inspired me to go in the direction I'm headed.

Devon Bardole: Best Training buddy for the past almost 2 years.

Friends: Friends I've met, trained with, or just friends who push me.

Offline derkow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 05:23:35 AM »
hmmm, Levi and David Belle.
Levi gets extra points here for being on sasuke! ;D

Offline Chris Slater

• Mangabey
  • PARKOUR PIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 08:12:49 AM »
i look up to ,anis, pip anderson, damien walters, ozzi , and seb  ;D
Go outside already!!

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 09:21:01 AM »
Cyril Raffaelli, that guy is freakin' amazing.  He's been my hero since i first saw Kiss of the Dragon like 7 years ago.  I didn't even know who he was but I loved the way he moved and I wanted to be able to do that stuff.  I think i've always been more of a fan of him because of his martial arts and stunt work skill since I've been a martial artist for many more years than a freerunner and I've always wanted to be a stuntman...and I look a lot like the guy which is just kinda fun.

Levi is also a hero of mine.  Before Levi I always wanted to be a "traceur," but Levi kinda made it ok to be a "freerunner" instead...which is way more up my alley.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 01:00:25 AM »
So many people I look up to it is not even funny.

I will just say I have been lucky enough to train with great people and to belong to the best, most sincere and fun community I have ever known of - APK. There is tons of people I dont even know in here and consider my friends and inspirations. You all know who you are APK.

There is always a little from anyone that inspired you to become a better person.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »
Ryan Ford and Tyson Cecka for what they've done for their respective communities in the U.S.
Blane, Teg, and Philly D. for inspiration to always continue progressing.
The founders of the discipline for obvious reasons.
and anyone I've trained with and learned from...especially Zack Bedingfield for being an awesome friend and beginning his journey in parkour at the same time as me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Tom "Hayabusa" Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Self-training wanna-be from Guam...lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008, 05:59:23 AM »
Eeeeeeverybody.

In general, anyone who's taken any serious steps towards becoming a traceur, and in so doing, made the world a better place.

In particular, there's far too many to name...lol.

Overall, I just look up to the entire traceur community, because a guy can walk in off the street, lay it down and say, "I want to learn what you have to teach", and be taken seriously.  There's no social gap that explicitly separates the veterans from the newer practitioners.  Even though the difference in skill was - and still is - vast, you guys still took the time to sit me down, and let me know what steps I had to take to reach my goals.  The skill level didn't matter. The age didn't matter.  All that mattered was that I wanted to learn.  And I truly appreciate that.

It feels corny as hell to say it, but you guys are some of the realest, friendliest, and most helpful bunch of folks I've ever encountered, and I honestly hope I get to meet some of you someday...lol.

Peace.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:48:01 PM by Tom "Falcon" Johnson »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return."

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 10:53:42 PM »
Ty tom =) I look up to you too.

I would say Ryan and Matt for what they've done for copk, all of tct, 3run, pkgen, and uf, more specifically, phil doyle, jin, owen, ilabaca, teige, joenkkoe [sp?], tim pisteur, jarbas, des bois, vigroux, livewire, shaun wood and rhys, and noble and jereme, all amazing traceurs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:55:32 PM by Zack Bedingfield »
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Xavier HighReach Byrd

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Hierarchy Games and Graphics
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »
Ryan Ford, Tyson Cecka, Ozzi, Cionn, Jereme Sanders, Cyril Raffaelli, David Belle, Sabastien Focan.

These people are pretty much the reason I began and kept doing parkour. :)
Make a mistake or two, you'll live, and live better because of it.