Author Topic: Better of the 5.10's?  (Read 8019 times)

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
Re: Better of the 5.10's?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 05:10:25 PM »
license plate?

Offline Jacob Wood

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »
well crap i decided today to pick the freerunners instead of arikies, but no (right before i went to the sight to place my order) i have to decided between these two

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 06:30:12 PM »
license plate?

The back of the shoes have a FIVETEN logo on them in the fashion of a license plate. Very similar to what's on the tongue of the shoe in Brandan's post.

Jason, did you guys ever get a resole kit for the Freerunner? And am I ever going to be able to get them resoled in a different color?
Abs Patentia Veni Perfectio.

If it doesn't have four legs or fly, *expletive deleted* it.

-Desmund from Houston Parkour

Offline Steve Zavitz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
Secondly, how is mistique rubbers grip on bars and smooth surfaces?

I just bought a pair of D'Aescents, so I'll try to give you an idea (the Mystique rubber should be the same on these as on that new Freerunner).  If you've tried the old Freerunners with Phantom, try to imagine adding a little bit more friction.  I still wouldn't trust them for rail precisions or any serious work on painted metal or brushed metal, but that's what my other shoes are for.  In short, I'm sure there are a few types of railings that might get better grip, but I've yet to find any.  That being said, the grip on anything else more than makes up for it.  Seriously, the rubber on these things is absolutely heinous.  I felt like I had suction cups on my feet when I was working on my climb-ups.  The marking isn't really that big of a deal either; it's not noticeable on brick, and will really only be a problem if you're doing tic-tacs on a wall with light-colored paint.  Don't let the whole marking issue stop you from buying the new Freerunner; it's probably going to be the most durable and stickiest shoe to date.

On a side-note.  Jason, I love Stealth rubber and all, but what is the deal with metal?  Why is it that the rubber grips so well on just about everything else, but generally slips on rails?  Do you think it might be possible to create a new Stealth mixture that's specifically designed to grip to rails?  I'd pay top dollar for something like that, even if it means sacrificing a little bit of grip on rougher textures.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 07:33:41 PM »
well crap i decided today to pick the freerunners instead of arikies, but no (right before i went to the sight to place my order) i have to decided between these two

haha thats tough man. im in the same sit. debating betwwen vibram 5-fingers; another pair f ariakes; or nike torchs.

i dont wanna pay alot for a shoe that doesnt last too long (ariakes)
the 5/10s are near same price and slip on railings and painted metal
the 5-fingers hurt (supposedly) if your running in forest like sticks and leaves and things.

the torchs are just reg. shoes. notthing special so it like i have no deciding factor haha

man, ADIDAS NEEDS THOSE traceur SHOES BACK!

Offline Ian Vidal

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »
Quote from: Conway|NoRush
man, ADIDAS NEEDS THOSE traceur SHOES BACK!

What were they called? :O

~Ian

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »
The Adidas Traceur lol.  Seriously.

Offline Ian Vidal

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 12:22:49 PM »
A+ on originality....lol

~Ian

Offline Kyle Ryan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 01:02:27 PM »
Wow, I think the AG color is pretty sexy on that shoe! Ill definitely be picking them up when the release!

Im getting excited just thinking about the grip!

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
Steve:  Thanks man.  Yes I have tried the original phantom rubber and the bar slippery thing bugs me too.  I was wondering however, in comparision to the old freerunners how bad is the grip on rails?  Better or Worse?  and by how much?  Thanks.  Oh try to get back to me soon because I have to make a decision.  Thanks.

Offline Steve Zavitz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
Entity, the grip is not substantially better.  It is better, but it's still pretty slick.  I was able to do decent balance on a flat rail, but cat balancing was an issue and walking up or down an inclined rail was definitely an issue.

If rail grip is your main deciding factor, you might want to look elsewhere, but these shoes are monsters on anything else.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »
On a side-note.  Jason, I love Stealth rubber and all, but what is the deal with metal?  Why is it that the rubber grips so well on just about everything else, but generally slips on rails?  Do you think it might be possible to create a new Stealth mixture that's specifically designed to grip to rails?  I'd pay top dollar for something like that, even if it means sacrificing a little bit of grip on rougher textures.

From what I have gotten, it's a dust issue... Natural Rubber like used on Vans... that brownish "gum" rubber that works so good on smooth surfaces... it collects no dust.

It is also slick as hell on rough surfaces and in water.

It's a trade off... or at least is at the moment(charles has done a lot of things with rubber that have been thought impossible...) High friction on most surfaces seems to come at the expense of high friction on slick surfaces...

Rock climbers have learned that windex is a way to make Stealth stickier... not sure if it's because it removes all the dust/dirt(as theorized by some around here) or if there is actually a chemical reaction(another theory) but there is a noticeable difference is you clean the soles with windex... I have never tried this on Smooth surfaces or before freerunning... just on climbing shoes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:18:32 PM by Jason@FiveTen »
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
Well no one has directly answered the question.

From experience, does the 5.10 have good grip? Better than your average running shoe? Better than the Ariakes (which i've heard do not have a long "lifespan")?

Also, do they have good grip while in water/rain?
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 04:37:08 PM »
Actually the dust thing is sort of the same conclusion I came to. I normally wipe down my soles if they become too slick, or moisten them. Basically if you find polished surfaces a problem, pee on your feet.  :)
Abs Patentia Veni Perfectio.

If it doesn't have four legs or fly, *expletive deleted* it.

-Desmund from Houston Parkour

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 07:55:19 PM »
Well no one has directly answered the question.

From experience, does the 5.10 have good grip? Better than your average running shoe? Better than the Ariakes (which i've heard do not have a long "lifespan")?

Also, do they have good grip while in water/rain?

Dude... does 5.10 have GOOD GRIP?  lol.  On anything except ultra smooth surfaces (marble or rails)...

This Shoe is AWESOME!!!  Literally the grippiest soles ever.  Such good traction.  No slippage.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
see it's touhg... it almost has to be word of mouth...

i can say all day that NOTHING is even close to Stealth Rubber... and until you try it... you have no idea...

but I work here... I expect people to not believe me... Thankfully there are now A LOT of people who are wearing our shoes and know what climbers learned 25 years ago...

My favorite positive review of our rubber came during Zmaller's Ariake Lite Mesh review on you tube....

You can't even pay for that sort of enthusiasm
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...