Author Topic: Kalenji Success  (Read 14714 times)

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Kalenji Success
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:17:20 PM »
Hey,
Does anyone out there have any input on the Kalenji Success? If so, please describe:

-Grip (Rails especially, brick, paint, etc...)
-Cushioning
-Support
-Weight
-General enthusiasm for the shoe, what you like best other than the amazing price, and what you would change about the shoe.

Thanks APK!
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Kalenji Success
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:13:52 PM »
To those who are curious, by the way, here is a link to the shoe: http://www.kalenji-running.com/EN/success-13086225/

I believe the main attraction is the shoe's value. At only 10 euros per pair, you could always have a fresh set. I have seen a few traceurs out there using them (Victor Lopez using them in his new video), and I'm very intrigued. I just want to have at least a little input on them before I buy...

That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:22:38 PM »
I don't like what it says it's designed for.  :(

ShutUpAndLetsDoThis

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:23:23 PM »
I can't really say anything on it's performance, but according to the link you gave, it says it's only really ment to be worn once a week to once a month for about 35 minutes at a time. Now, I would hope any real traceur would be out there a bit more than that, but who knows.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:26:29 PM »
I don't like what it says it's designed for.  :(

Haha agreed. Seems to me like they would fall apart in a days worth of training. Once a week for 35 minutes? THAT specific? Wow.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Steve Zavitz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
Just curious, but did you happen to find an American distributor?  If not, how are you planning on buying the shoes?  I've heard that you can't even order them online if you're not living in the UK.  Also, I've heard many good things about these shoes.  The only thing is that they have a short life.  Some people say they blow out after a couple of months (maybe 3 at the most).

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:32:49 PM »
Ok well if you think about it, your Ariakes or Freerunners aren't meant to be running shoes either. Freerunning/Parkour, and long distance running are two completely different disciplines. Sigh, I mean not to debate this right now.

Steve: If I can just gather a bit more input (I'm watching some youtube right now), I'll order them directly over the phone from Decathlon if they will process such an order. I'll keep you posted once I have some good training sessions with them under my belt. By the way, how did the D'Aescents turn out?
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
Ok well if you think about it, your Ariakes or Freerunners aren't meant to be running shoes either. Freerunning/Parkour, and long distance running are two completely different disciplines.

That's right, the ariakes are meant to be freerunning shoes. They are different disciplines but so what? I used to use indoor soccer shoes to parkour in, now I use ariakes. I am not saying you can't use a runnig shoe for parkour, but even if one only used this shoe for once a week for 35 minutes, thats still extremely limited, to a runner but esp. to a traceur as well.

i dont know how they are, but

I've heard many good things about these shoes.  The only thing is that they have a short life.
If there are many good things about them then go ahead and try em.

i was just pointing out that the description seems like it would discourage a traceur or freerunner
from buying the shoe.

Offline Steve Zavitz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:09:18 AM »
By the way, how did the D'Aescents turn out?

Yea, sorry I forgot to get back to you on that.  I still haven't been able to send in my order.  I had some issues with my bank, so I haven't been able to withdraw the money for my shoes.  Once I get that all straightened out, I'll definitely be buying them.

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
My friend brought a pair of kalenjis back to nyc after he visted london. He loved them since they were so cheap. He even enjoyed training with them for a bit, but he ended up not liking them after a month or so. I tried them on and my(aswell as my friend's) only problem with them is the ground feel is kinda sketchy. i tried some balance and could barely feel the bar under my feet. After wearing the my pair of arikaes for almost year going to a shoe with that much cushion was just weird.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 12:04:30 PM »
i tried some balance and could barely feel the bar under my feet. After wearing the my pair of arikaes for almost year going to a shoe with that much cushion was just weird.

thats what im afraid of. switching to reg. shoe like nike torch or pegasus from the ariake ive worn for 7 months.
im unsure of the shoe thing right now. i guess ill just have to experiment with them as much as possible, and after
trying all the shoes i want to, decide which one is best for myself. $$ but i think its worth it.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 05:56:41 PM »
Ok well if you think about it, your Ariakes or Freerunners aren't meant to be running shoes either. Freerunning/Parkour, and long distance running are two completely different disciplines.

That's right, the ariakes are meant to be freerunning shoes. They are different disciplines but so what? I used to use indoor soccer shoes to parkour in, now I use ariakes. I am not saying you can't use a runnig shoe for parkour, but even if one only used this shoe for once a week for 35 minutes, thats still extremely limited, to a runner but esp. to a traceur as well.

I've heard many good things about these shoes.  The only thing is that they have a short life.

i was just pointing out that the description seems like it would discourage a traceur or freerunner
from buying the shoe.

I think we're confusing each other here, but to clarify: while I agree that the description is in fact discouraging, I'm taking it a step further and saying that it doesn't matter what the shoe is designed for (to an extent), it matters how well they perform specifically in PKFR training. The Air Pegasus is not a specific PKFR shoe, but so many traceurs love it. The Success is not necessarily a PKFR shoe, but it doesn't mean that it won't be a solid shoe for our discipline. If we're agreeing with each other on this issue (which your comment about the indoor soccer cleats is beginning to convince me that perhaps we are?), I apologize. Forum's are sometimes not the best catalysts for debate. Lol I'm sorry to take this so far. I just, in fact, wanted input on the shoe.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 07:19:59 PM »

from buying the shoe.

I think we're confusing each other here, but to clarify: while I agree that the description is in fact discouraging, I'm taking it a step further and saying that it doesn't matter what the shoe is designed for (to an extent), it matters how well they perform specifically in PKFR training. The Air Pegasus is not a specific PKFR shoe, but so many traceurs love it. The Success is not necessarily a PKFR shoe, but it doesn't mean that it won't be a solid shoe for our discipline. If we're agreeing with each other on this issue (which your comment about the indoor soccer cleats is beginning to convince me that perhaps we are?), I apologize. Forum's are sometimes not the best catalysts for debate. Lol I'm sorry to take this so far. I just, in fact, wanted input on the shoe.

uuuuh....yea...we def. agreed when were talking like we didnt  :P  ::)
its good you "went so far" otherwise this wouldnt have been cleared up! haha

but your right, i agree with everything you said above. how the heck did we get confused!? hahaha
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:58:23 PM by Conway|NoRush »

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »
Practically every accomplished traceur in the UK I've seen with a pair on.

so Will if it works for you to order through the phone, lemme know cuz I have been trying to find a way to get a pair over here without having to actually go to the uk for a while now.
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline SkyNative

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
Ive only tried them once, but I agree with the above guy who tried them. I didnt really like them; they felt really clunky and had terrible sensitivity. The cushioning was decent, and the grip was fair. Cant say anything about durability since i only tried them once, but the price will probably give that away. But heck, if you can find a way to get the to the US, then might as well try them out, theyre so cheap!

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 04:25:34 PM »
Ooh, sensitivity is something that's dear to me...I think I'll call Decathlon or someplace and see if it's possible to get a pair shipped over later this year... Right now, I'm just really satisfied with my Ariake lites.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Dave G

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »
"Designed for running on an occasional basis (once a week to once a month) for up to 35 minutes on roads and paths."

I don't understand what kind of shoe would be "designed" with such a specific environment in mind.

dang.
possibly because of the foam deflating?
that is the only thing I can think of, or maybe they are not very breathable?

Athletes Foot... >.<

Offline Irmo Knight

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Irmo Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
Well you guys make it sound really bad although I have seen a lot of 3run guys using it which makes me think they are decent. Also has anyone found anything about how to order them? What about the new feel shoes? Chase Armitage uses them and they seem pretty good but how would I know. Still want to test a pair so if anyone finds out how to order it do tell. Please and Thank you.

-Shadow Knight

Offline 3run

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 11:30:43 AM »
You won't go wrong with the kalenjis most of the 3Run guy's have like 20 pairs each lol

Well you guys make it sound really bad although I have seen a lot of 3run guys using it which makes me think they are decent. Also has anyone found anything about how to order them? What about the new feel shoes? Chase Armitage uses them and they seem pretty good but how would I know. Still want to test a pair so if anyone finds out how to order it do tell. Please and Thank you.

-Shadow Knight

Chase does wear the more exspensive new feel Kalenjis and must say they look great .

Not sure how you guy's would get your hands on Kalenjie that easy though?

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »
Never underestimate Americans, Cane.  ;)
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.