Author Topic: Kong  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Seth

• Patas
    • View Profile
Kong
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
Okay, I've been trying to kong over low picnic tables, but I can never get my movement down right.  Should I tuck my legs up before my hands go down or should I do it as my hands go down?  Also, I'm pretty tall with long legs... so that makes it a bit difficult...  Any suggestions?

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
Re: Kong
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »
If I can give you one piece of advice, it's "dive with your head down."  I'm sure that this has been covered in all sorts of tutorials, but it took a little time for me to grasp how to derive serious distance with them.  Really I tend to dive into them like I'm going to flop on my face, and then as the legs tuck, swing the hands down for the plant to change the angle you're turned.  The hands come up before your feet actually get there, so height (which should be irrelevent because of proportions) doesn't really matter.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline MedvisP

• Mangabey
  • Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
I think the problem is that you're focusing on your legs too much. That's not the key element of the kong. I'm also tall (6'3) so what applies to me should also apply to you. Instead of focusing on what you're doing with your legs, focus on putting your hands as close to the opposite edge of the table as you can. The closer your hands to the edge the easier it is to get your legs through. Look at the first thing I do in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrzQZUBoeqQ I'll walk you through it. First things first, you want to get a good run up. Try not to stutter and build a good amount of speed. Next, you want to dive, have your body parallel with the table, slap down your hands close to the far edge of the table and push. The pushing action you do when you slap your hands down will bring your legs below you for your landing, just make sure to tuck at that point.
Power, balance, freedom.
My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/MedvisP

Offline Seth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys!  I think I get it now! 

Though I'm gonna have to wait till next week to try it out...  I've been working on this oratorical for the American Legion every day after school for the past two weeks so I've had no free time except for soccer practice and rifle team practice... I check APK for a couple minutes each night for a break...  I've actually had to write five speeches and I'm just about done with the fifth and last one.  Then the competition is on Saturday!  I hope I do well because then I can get a couple of really great scholarships! :D

Thanks again guys!

Offline IsraelLeon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 03:58:42 AM »
SMF Indexing is way out these days due to so many people complaining about it and they not been able to work on it for smaller thing source. They need to see it on it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:48:33 AM by IsraelLeon »

Offline Tradealth

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:02:55 AM »
He is similar to maney, but you need being more plastic. Just run than jump and try to do somethig, than closer, closer to kong. Firstly you're flying, than hands, than legs or you'll fall.