Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 94469 times)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #220 on: March 15, 2009, 06:22:13 AM »
I would wait about a month or two until you can do a pullup (or 10) and then throw that into his face.  Do the linear progression on the gravitron mixed with negatives and you will have a pullup in no time.  If you want it faster, i would highly recommend using a chinning/underhand grip.

Regarding endurance...yeh you normally want to get for 10 reps on something...but on a movement not on isolations.  That lays a base.  So when you can finally do a single pullup, work up to 10-15 reps.  GTG can get you from 1 pullup to 15 in a matter of weeks.  You can solidify that gain with more strength work...at 3-5 reps.  Funny how that works, isn't it?

You are on the right track, Carolyn.  I would get to your goals (which should be rather fast, given your drive) and then report him to his manager...tell him you are under the guidance of people who are experienced and that he was rude and presumptuous and, now that you hit your goals, wrong and high-pressure. 

I'm also a salesman, mind you, so do keep in mind that imho his sales approach is terrible and he is violating the first rule - know your product.  In this case, the product is the human body and methods of training it.  High pressure is also a bad way to sell things. 

I really hope this is just an isolated incident where you are the victim because if women have to go through this every time they go to the gym then this is very sad.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
What a horrible experience! That guy sounds like he was trying to play off what he perceived your weaknesses and fears to be just to get you to pay him to do what he wanted.  Though, I guess that's stating the obvious, huh?

Yeah, I think you're totally right. I was just thinking about what would've happened if he'd tried this on somebody who had a problem with fears like that - the outcome would NOT have been pretty. :-\

I really hope this is just an isolated incident where you are the victim because if women have to go through this every time they go to the gym then this is very sad.

It doesn't happen every time. I've been a gym member before, and this case was extreme. Things like this happen on a disturbingly frequent basis, but most of the trainers I've encountered have at least been able to listen and have encouraged *real* training for women. Heck, the guy who signed me up for this particular gym (a different person) actually thought it was cool that I was interested in the squat racks.

March 15, 2009:
Gymnastics open gym! (There wasn't an open gym session last week, b/c the guy who runs it was on vacation.)

• Little bit of a warmup (not as crazy as last time, thank goodness!): Some pushups, some jumping, dynamic stretching.
  • Precisions: ~20-30 minutes. Used balance beams at different heights, about 3 feet away from each other. I know that's not very far, but I still really need to work on landing on the right part of my foot and keeping my balance after landing.
  • Kong work: 30 minutes. Block a few inches higher than my waist. I haven't worked on these for a couple of weeks, and tonight I discovered something helpful: I have more of a pop when I take off now. :) I get up a bit higher, and I travel a bit farther. Yay for squats and deadlifts! (Still can't kong, though. :P)
  • Handstands: ~20 minutes. I was able to hold one for just a little bit, but it was definitely a real hold. Maybe a second or two? I've started doing these on the (sprung) floor, rather than on mats, and still often have trouble committing to the motion, which is causing me problems.
  • Backflip junk: ~15 minutes. This involved one of the waist-high mats, a wedge-shaped block, and a springboard...um...practicing the motion??
  • Handsprings: ~20 minutes. Wasn't planning on working these, but got interested by a group that was working on them. Just practiced keeping my arms straight and placing my hands the proper distance apart. Fell onto a mat; I wasn't even trying to land on my feet yet.
  • Precisions! ~15 minutes. Cody set up a course where we had to jump from a low balance beam to...the top part of a pommel horse? set on the ground, to one of those mushroom-shaped things, to another balance beam, to a big block/a stack of mats. Success! At least a couple of times. ;)
  • Someone there was trying to show me how to kip, so I ended up doing a whole bunch of sort-of kipping pullups and jumping pullups. >20.

Wow, that really covered a lot of different stuff! Training wasn't very focused tonight (as far as I was concerned), but it was fun and at least somewhat productive.

EDIT- Sleep: 7.5 hours (and then woke up on my own), +3 hour nap at Mom and Dad's house. :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:11:06 PM by TraceuseDS »
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »
March 16, 2009:
Sleep: 5.5 hours. I'm taking a rest day today, since yesterday really wasn't one...lotta stretching...

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
This isn’t exactly a log entry, but I wanted to write about this because it has been on my mind and heart a lot since last weekend (see above entries if you don’t know what I’m talking about), and then I saw the comments after this article. If you’re reading this log (and I realize I only reach a very small number of people), I just wanted to encourage you to keep going, no matter what people say or do to discourage you. If I reach even one person it’s worth it, and it’s MY log, dammit, so I’ll write what I want.

First off, don’t worry about your weight. Weight is just a number on a scale. I’m not saying to completely disregard it; if you suddenly start gaining or losing 20 pounds in the course of a few weeks, you should definitely be concerned, but it’s not the only (or even the best) measuring stick you should use. Don’t worry about what other people say your weight should be. Don’t worry about looking like this model or that actor; you cannot look exactly like any other person, or have their abs, or their shoulders, or whatever. Your genetics are different, and even if they weren’t, even if you were their identical twin, you would STILL have differences. What you CAN do is look like the best possible version of yourself.

The number of pounds you weigh tells you almost nothing about yourself. Since I started learning parkour in July, I’ve gone from a size 12 to a size 8 (actually, it should probably be a size 6 at this point, but I don’t have the money to replace that much of my wardrobe yet again), so there have obviously been some changes going on in the way I look. Want to know how much weight I’ve lost during that time? Between 5 and 7 pounds, total. Muscle weighs more than fat, and if you start training seriously, you’re going to be building some muscle. It’s entirely possible for you to lose fat (and inches), but still see numbers on the scale going up or staying the same.

It’s also possible to have very different body composition while maintaining the very same weight, so what you should worry about is the composition – the percent fat compared to the percent muscle – of your body. And even those numbers will vary from person to person, even among healthy individuals. Weight certainly doesn’t dictate who you are as a person, and if you’re happy with a higher percentage of fat than normal, or a higher percentage of muscle, kudos to you! Keep it, if it makes you happy. Don’t change your body to make anyone else happy; change it to make yourself happy. You, and you alone, have the power to do that.

I’ve had two different boyfriends (note the past tense here) who tried to get me to start working out so that I could conform to THEIR ideas of beauty. I dug in my heels and flat-out refused, because pleasing another person with the shape of my body, which belongs to ME, is not on my agenda. Like me for who I am, as I am now, or don't bother. Now that I’m doing something for myself, something that I love, I’m seeing changes and I’m liking them. I’ve worked hard for them, and I’m proud of myself. I know it’s not socially acceptable to say this, but I’m happy with the way I look. I like me. Changing the way you look for another person is never worth it, and it rarely sticks. Changing the way you treat your body, and yourself, is something that is ultimately up to you, and something that you should only do for yourself. I think it’s worth it in the long run; you have to make that decision on your own.

One last thing, and then I’m done. Women can do anything they want to do. Ladies, don’t put yourself down because you’re a woman in this sport (or any other), and don’t let anyone else do it either. Women are just as capable of doing parkour as men are. Just look at all the women in that video if you need evidence – or inspiration. It’s true that men on average start of with a higher base strength (and by “base” here, I mean the starting amount in an untrained individual), but women on average start off with better flexibility. We can learn balance skills more quickly, and we gain strength at the same rate as men, percentage-wise. Our muscle fibers are identical in every way at the cellular level. Plus (added bonus), after training, our recovery times are faster on average than men’s recovery times.

Our advantage lies in finding our strengths and exploiting them, and finding our weaknesses and working to mitigate them. Who do you think will get better faster: a person who trains regularly and diligently, or someone who doesn’t try and doesn’t care? Work hard, and you’ll see results. That’s not going to change just because of your gender. In the end, you’re only competing with yourself.

We’re not any better – or any worse – than men at training parkour. Just different. And we can do this.

[/tirade]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:17:23 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »
+1

Respect

Offline Chris Eddington

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »
+ 1

It takes a hell of a strong resolve to not feel down when you don't measure up to some standard or another. The fact that there are so damned many standards doesn't help a lick. I think you've displayed some real courage here Carolyn, the kind that will get you to almost any goal you set. Godspeed.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:29 AM »
I'm glad I got that all written down. I feel a lot better now. :)

March 17, 2009:
Happy St. Patrick's Day!! :D Yay for my 6%-12% Irish background, lol. ;)

6 hours of sleep. The weatherman said we could hit record highs, around 74, which is extremely awesome. So of course I had to go practice outside for a bit! This random guy caught me vaulting over a fence just outside the front door after work, so I figured I'd better take things elsewhere... :P Ended up at a random nearby playground, and spent about 30 minutes outside, just playing. Nothing focused. I also ran just enough to remind myself how much I loathe running. It felt so good to be practicing vaults outside again, though. :)

This was intended to be a warmup, with me heading over to the gym (a different branch than last time, b/c it's on my way home from work) and starting to do work before I had much of a chance to cool down, but I ended up getting stuck in road construction traffic. Bleh. Anyway, here's what happened once I got to the gym (still at least semi-warm...):

• Assisted pullups: Either something is wrong with the machine I used at the other gym, or something is wrong with both the machines at this gym (or I just magically gained the ability to lift 30# more in the last week, which I highly doubt). I was *barely* making it through the end of each set with the assist weight set to 100# last time, but I blew through these this week, and it was almost TOO easy. Sticky cables or blocks of weight, perhaps? Oh, and I think I'll keep the overhand grip. First of all, I'm extremely stubborn; not only that, but at this point I've been using the overhand grip so much that it's actually easier for me than underhand.
    2x5, 90# assist
    2x5, 80# assist; first 80# set was on the first machine, the rest of the sets were done on the second machine, b/c I was trying to figure out whether there was something wrong with the first machine.
    1x5, 70# assist, just because I couldn't resist trying it. It wasn't that hard...hmm.
  • Planche work: Assisted tuck planches. Decided to start counting holds. Tried this on one of their yoga mats, didn't like it, and went back to using the bare floor. 2x10 holds, each at least a second long, some as long as 3 seconds. Fingertips + heel of my hand = good.
  • Squats:
    3x5, 75#: Forgot my warmup set. Didn't realize this until the first set was already in progress, so I wasn't about to go back and do it. I really need to pay attention to what my knees are doing during these. I'll try posting video here as soon as I have the capability to film and transfer the data to my computer again. My malfunctioning camera is driving me crazy - none of the buttons work anymore, not even the ones that let me delete old photos...

Orchestra.

March 18, 2009:
8+ hours of sleep. It was only supposed to be 7.5, but I hit the snooze button on my alarm clock so many times it just stopped going off altogether. I think I set new land-speed records running around and getting to work more-or-less on time...

-----
Went for a hike on the path at the prairie preserve (can you really call it a "hike" when it's on a prairie?). Not long, just a couple miles. Still pretty much a rest day.

PS: I feel like curb-balancing while wearing heels should get extra points (either that or points off for stupidity).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:18:14 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »
March 19, 2009:
Sleep: 7+ hours. Not bad.

• Knees-to-elbows: 3x5 Better; still not as high as I'd like, but I managed to actually curl up towards my elbows each time. Minimal swinging, slower on the negative part.
  • Deadlift: 4x5, 55# :) Do a warmup set next time.

Handstand stuff when I get home, once again. At least that way I'll be able to get my rolls in. Should've done it when I first got here - there's no space now.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2009, 11:51:21 AM »
March 20, 2009:
7+ hours of sleep. Rest day.

March 21, 2009:
5.5 hours of sleep. What can I say? It's weekend.

Helped set the stage for tomorrow's concert. 3 hour rehearsal. My left shoulder almost always decides it wants to get misaligned after running through a symphony or a concerto with minimal interruptions, so it wasn't really a surprise when it happened again today - we had one of each. Still feeling kinda wonky. :-\

• Warmup: Jumped around a bit at a nearby park. Practiced precisions on a nice set of concrete bleachers by a baseball diamond.
  • Planche work: 30 assisted tuck planches, generally at least 1 second long, rarely as long as 4-5.
  • Pullups: Used the machine again - I think the ones I used last time were the ones that were screwed up. I started off with a weight that was too heavy b/c I was basing this off of the weird ones (they looked the same, and I even checked the instructions they had posted - everything was the same!!).
    1x4 + fail, 80# assist
    1x3 + fail, 80# assist
    1x5, 90# assist
  • Squats:
    1x5, 55#
    3x5, 85# Stop being such a baby and go ATG with **ALL** of these! Just watch your knees and it'll be fine. If I can carry my sister, I can squat this. Goal acchieved, btw! ;D Goal was 0.5xBW, and this blasted that out of the water (come to think of it...last time did too...erm...). New goal: 0.75xBW (~100#).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:19:00 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 22, 2009, 07:36:59 PM »
You know, I think I need to be more ambitious with that new goal. I'm setting it for 1xBW instead. So there. :P

March 22, 2009:
Sleep: 8 hours. Rest day, mostly. Concert (my shoulder actually stayed where it was supposed to be, all the way until about halfway through the second-to-last page of the very last piece, which is good). I was going to go to the gymnastics gym, but due to some technical difficulties the concert got done late...and my little sister is home on spring break, so I went and did some light PK with her instead.

Precisions, balancing on curbs and a chain, a little climbing. I lazy vaulted a fence that normally would've scared me too much to try it, and I did just fine. :) Also - and this is awesome - I got all the way across the monkey bars at the playground! Yay! I've never been able to do that - I couldn't even do it when I was a little kid! :D

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »
March 23, 2009:
Sleep: <7 hours.

• Handstand stuff: Practiced "walking" up the wall into a handstand, so that my stomach is towards the wall. Did one set of 5 mini-HSPUs, facing the wall (first time - these have always been done with my back to the wall before). Went for a second set, fell down and into the corner of another wall; decided I needed to find somewhere better to do these. Note to self: black socks + white wall = not-goodness.
  • K2Es: 4x5. Not as strong today, but I managed an extra set. The bars I'm using to do these are so high! I have to jump just to get my hands up high enough to reach them. At least this way I'm sure I'm starting from a dead hang. :P
  • Deadlifts:
    1x5, 45#
    3x5, 65#

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
March 24, 2009:
Sleep: ~8 hours. Rest day.

Introduced my friend to some of the basics. A new traceuse is born! :D

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »
March 25, 2009:
Sleep: 6+ hours.

Definite lack of warmup today. Short on time. Need to fix that.
  • Pullup work: 3x5, 90# assist. I'm pretending last time didn't even happen. :P
  • Planche stuff: 30 holds, tuck planche, assisted. Approximately the same rate of success as last time.
  • Squats:
    1x5, 45# (showing my sister how this works...although I really should learn myself before attempting to teach others :P)
    1x5, 65#
    1x4(fail), 95#
    2x5, 90# Form was crap. I need to focus on that before increasing this weight. My knees keep trying to tip to the inside. It's almost harder to keep them pointed forward than to just lift the weight UP.

EDIT - I think something is wrong with me. I went to my parents house for dinner, and chose to forgo ice cream AND chocolate in favor of vegetables...weird...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:23:32 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2009, 07:13:17 PM »
March 26, 2009:
Sleep: ~7 hours (?) I think...I forgot when I went to sleep...Rest day.

Indiana Jam tomorrow, woot! ;D ;D (Can you tell who's a little excited? :P)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2009, 08:51:54 AM »
March 27, 2009:
Sleep: 5 hours. :( I think I'm getting sick. Random body aches, scratchy throat, cough...awesome timing.

Prolly gonna head out to IN tonight anyway, and hope I feel better when I wake up in the morning.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
March 28, 2009:
Severe miscalculation on my part...every time I've had those symptoms in the last couple months, a good night's sleep took care of it. Not so much this time... :-\ Ended up feeling pretty much the same for the duration of the jam, and taking it easy. Worked on some stuff a little bit, but mostly just ended up watching people do their thing, which wasn't all bad. Things I worked on:

• Wall climbs.
  • Lazy vaults and speed vaults. Interesting revelation: I really need to work on distance with these. Height isn't so much of a problem, but I need to figure out how to get over wider barriers.
  • Random conditioning with a group: jumps, squats, ab stuff (took this at maybe 80% effort, b/c I kept coughing whenever I started breathing hard)
  • Precisions on little precision trainers made with a ~1.5" diameter dowel.
  • Did my first kong attempt outside. :) Failed. Would've done more, but a very nice policeman came along and asked us not to do parkour in the parking garage. ::sigh::

Even though I didn't end up doing much, it was fun to watch everyone else. The Indiana parkour people are pretty awesome - I hope I have the chance to go train there again sometime, preferably sometime when I'm feeling 100%. :)

March 29-31, 2009:
Woke up feeling absolutely horrid on Sunday. Left early, w/o even going out. This turned out to be a good thing, since it meant that I wasn't training outside when it started snowing. :P

Sunday through...er...now: Slept, pretty much all day. This bug took me OUT. It was tolerable until Sunday afternoon, and then, BAM, everything went downhill. I think that's probably when the fever showed up. :P At some point, it became really important to me that I find a function to describe the appearance of new dots on a binary clock/binary counter...it's f = 2^(n - 1) as n goes to positive infinity, btw, in case anyone was wondering...

I foresee a few extra rest days coming up in my future.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »
April 1, 2009:
Sleep: 8+ hours. Rest day. Went back to work. :P

What've we learned, kids? Don't push yourself when you're sick.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:07:12 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2009, 07:43:10 AM »
April 2, 2009:
Sleep: unknown. Lights out to lights on was close to 8 hours, time spent sleeping was considerably less. Kept waking up for no apparent reason.

Rest day. :( Can this count as my rest week??

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
April 3, 2009:
Sleep: ~8 hours. Rest day, again. Lame. :P

Lungs are finally starting to clear out, which is good - yesterday the cough was getting worse again, which made me uber-paranoid, b/c I have a strange proclivity for getting bronchitis and pneumonia. Things aren't entirely back to normal yet, but there's less of a fluttery/wheezy feeling in the the bottom of my left lung today.

Might actually be able to try doing something again soon.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
I have a strange proclivity for getting bronchitis and pneumonia.

Getting all of your vitamins and minerals?