Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 98366 times)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2008, 05:09:14 PM »
I will. :) The good news is that I'm able to do better negatives now. I can even stop and hold it on the way down (I just discovered this today when I was trying to go back up again), and I sure couldn't do that before! :D

Thursday:
Technically, this was supposed to be a rest day. However, it actually warmed up to around 60 again outside and it was just too beautiful to stay in, so I set off on an epic quest to find someplace to practice gate vaults (b/c they really ARE awesome). I never did find a good place to do them, but I did find a pretty little prairie/woodland path I didn't know about before. So I went on a (short) hike. I suppose that walking a little...er...and playing on the swings for a little bit...doesn't *really* count as strenuous exercise, so I'm still going to count today as an official rest day. ;)
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
Friday (Halloween!!):
Busy doing Halloween-type stuff. ;D However, I decided to try doing another modified APK WOD, since that was something I could do sans equipment, w/o going anywhere. The official WOD called for 100 burpees, timed, but I decided to cut it in half and go for 50. Broke it into mostly sets of 5, although the first was a set of 10. Time: 17:11. (Kept the clock running the whole time.)

Saturday:
Halloween jam downtown. Of course, b/c we were trying to do this outside, while wearing costumes, it got chilly again. :P There were two new people there (both chicks!!), so I spent a lot of my time helping them...still not sure how that happened...We worked on precisions, QM, and some underbars. I got to practice underbars in a much more difficult environment (i.e. waist high) than I'm used to, so that was fun.

Discovered that Borders, my trusted source of nearly all reading material, FAILS at carrying Starting Strength. Apparently it's out of print, but they said they could get me a copy for $117!!! No, that's not a typo. I think I'm going to have to find this elsewhere, perhaps online.

Sunday:
Sprintervals (that word is fun). My keys fell out of my pocket during my first 400m, so I only got a time of 1:47 after going back to get them. Sprint 2 may have been better, but I still need to push harder on that one. I'd give it maybe an 85%, which is no good. >:( Total time (I'm including breaks b/c I walked a little): 12:37...what the heck?? I dropped ~2:00 since last time?? ??? Maybe I shouldn't be walking during breaks, b/c that seems like a big change from one time to the next...

At some point I need to post my diet philosophy so that I know what I was doing when I look back at this later on.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:42:58 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
stop the clock during rest and have timed rest periods on sprintervals...

Like:
400m
1 minute
400m
1 minute
400m
1 minute

Lower the rest time by 5 seconds each session or something like that.

Laying down during rest periods works wonders, too...

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »
Monday:
This was supposed to be a weight day, but I went to visit my sister, and her gym is even crappier than mine. :( There were NO free weights, so I used what was available: Light upper body work on bench press machine, shoulder press machine, and lat pulldown machine (I have no idea what the weights were b/c they were just numbered, e.g., 1, 2, 3, etc.). Gave up on that and went to do some more pullup negatives and dips, and some handstand work against a wall. Note: I haven't done any GTG for the past few days, b/c my bad shoulder was acting up again. I'm trying to ease back into GTG, since I'm feeling better again (weird issue with a pinched nerve...it usually only takes a couple days to resolve).

Tuesday:
We'll count this as a rest day. I was totally a bum and got sucked into the election results...My senator is gonna be president. Whoa.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 10:20:51 AM »
Wednesday:
Started back in with GTG. Everything is feeling pretty good, and I actually found a place where I can do pullup negatives with a cubicle wall, as long as I keep my knees bent. So that helped.

Weekly training session was tonight. There were a bunch of kids when I first got there, so I started playing around with palmspins on a picnic table just for the heck of it while I was waiting... :) A couple of the guys were filming stuff to show the admins at their college so that they could get permission to start a PK club, so the stuff we practiced was kind of different from my normal park routine:
  • Warmup-variety stretching
  • Jogging...um, maybe a block...
  • 2x30 pushups (knees for me)
  • 2x30 bicycles
  • <10 safety vaults and speed vaults
  • Rolls...not really enough to make them even worth mentioning, but at least I got some advice.
  • More stretching

Stuff I did on my own later:
  • Confronted NJ. I tried my new technique (jumping up to the bench from the ground, and progressively moving farther away), and that actually seems to be helping. A friend pointed out that I've been doing an odd little bounce/hop right before I try to do a for-real jump; he thinks I should stop, but I'm not convinced. I feel like I can box jump higher when I do that, so shouldn't I also be able to jump higher for a long-distance precision, thus going farther? At any rate, I managed to jump the full distance to the bench and land at least once with one foot on the bench and one on the ground.
  • Gate vaults. ~10.
  • Worked on cartwheels for 20 min+. I'm getting better at getting my center of balance in the right spot, but I keep stalling at the top and falling out of it. I feel like these (and the gate vaults) are good because they're helping me get used to having my weight above my head, which is a skill I really need to improve if I ever want to get handstands.
  • Tried kicking up into a free-standing handstand. Disaster. I'm actually kicking up too far, which I never used to do, so I keep falling over and trying to roll. Unfortunately, on the last of these I just fell - no roll - and messed up my back pretty bad...upper back hit first (I think) and the rest of me just kept going DOWN, so I kinda bent in half...major ouch. Think I may take an unplanned rest day, b/c my entire back just hurts today. :(

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 12:58:57 PM »
    • Tried kicking up into a free-standing handstand. Disaster. I'm actually kicking up too far, which I never used to do, so I keep falling over and trying to roll. Unfortunately, on the last of these I just fell - no roll - and messed up my back pretty bad...upper back hit first (I think) and the rest of me just kept going DOWN, so I kinda bent in half...major ouch. Think I may take an unplanned rest day, b/c my entire back just hurts today. :(

Try a different approach....to not kick/swing up into it.

First, put your hands on the ground.  Next, lift your leg up (the one your normally kick with).  While your leg is up, try to keep your other leg down while bringing your kicking leg above your head keeping shoulders, hips, head and ankles and toes ina straight line.  When you lean over just enough, your non-kicking foot should feel weightless.  Then try to lif the other leg up to meet your kicking leg.

This approach is called the needle.  Let me know if you have questions on it, or let me know how it works.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 07:33:49 PM »
    That sounds like a good idea. Thanks, Chris. I'll try it...er...tomorrowish...

Thursday:
    Yep. Rest day, as predicted. The heating pad is my friend.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 11:06:22 PM »
    Friday:
    Back feels a little better, but I'm nixing training involving anything even moderately high-impact or bending my back too much for the next couple of days. However, the rest of me is just fine, so I'm not going to just sit around and do nothing. I wanted to do something involving intervals today, so I moved from the sidewalk to an exercise bike: 4 sets of 2:00 at maximum effort (I rounded up for my 400m sprinting times...at least if I can't keep the exercise exactly the same, I can spend about the same amount of time doing it). I sat on the ground and rested 2:00 between bike intervals. GTG performance wasn't great. The first pullup negative I do in each set is still far and away the best one (I do maybe 3 per set). I'm going to keep trying to increase the frequency of my sets to see if that helps.

Tentatively tried out the needle approach to doing a handstand...I think this is something I'm going to have to try again in a couple of days. Just from the bit I did do, however, it looks like the tricky part is going to be elevating my center of gravity (my hips) high enough to pull the other leg up. We'll see...

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
      • View Profile
      • Chris Salvato
    « Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 11:47:11 PM »
    Tentatively tried out the needle approach to doing a handstand...I think this is something I'm going to have to try again in a couple of days. Just from the bit I did do, however, it looks like the tricky part is going to be elevating my center of gravity (my hips) high enough to pull the other leg up. We'll see...

Did it feel like it helped you any?

Don't be afraid to give it a little bit of a kick if u need to help get your hips up.  The point is to learn how your body feels inverted in a straight line...and it helps you to realize you dont need a massive kick up into HS at all...

Most [experienced] people go into HS like the needle because it has a lot of control similar to a HS Press without the strength that is necessary for the press.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: November 08, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »

Did it feel like it helped you any?

Don't be afraid to give it a little bit of a kick if u need to help get your hips up.  The point is to learn how your body feels inverted in a straight line...and it helps you to realize you dont need a massive kick up into HS at all...

Most [experienced] people go into HS like the needle because it has a lot of control similar to a HS Press without the strength that is necessary for the press.

Yes, actually. It reminded me of what it feels like when I go into a headstand...I do that a similar way, I think. It makes a lot of sense, and it felt like it'd be possible with practice. I also liked feeling like I was in control the whole time - I just didn't want to get all the way up there and come crashing down to reinjure my back. :P I'll try it again when I'm fully functional.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 09:29:21 AM »
    Saturday:
    My parents ran across some ancient dumbbells in their basement the other day, so they sent them home with me (unfortunately, the actual bar and weights that went with it are long gone)...They're mostly pretty light, but I decided to see whether there is anything I can actually train with the little ones that are available. Sadly, the heaviest thing available is 9#, so that's a bit light even for me...everything here was done with those:
    • Shoulder press: 3x8
    • Pseudo-bench press (2 dumbbells instead of one barbell): 3x8
    • Single-arm row: 3x10 each arm
    • My modified squat:1x5 (Stop. Stretch right ankle.), 2x8 (all of these were ATG, which is a first; go me!)
    • Lunges: 2x10 each leg (was planning on doing another set...got distracted)
    My conclusion: I can't do my regular weight routine effectively with these, even increasing reps. If I want to use these weights, I'll have to come up with something different to do. Random note: Back is still weird. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the muscles, b/c I was able to do this entire thing w/o pain, as long as I kept the muscles in my core engaged (which is the right way to do it anyway). Bending still causes problems, though. If this continues for another day or two, I'm probably going to have it checked out.

Sunday:
    Rested. Back was a little worse; not sure if that was b/c of training Saturday, or b/c I accidentally fell asleep on the couch...

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: November 11, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »
    Monday:
    Switched things up a bit b/c my pattern has been off this week; I'd rather go weights-intervals-training day than intervals-weights-training day, so Monday ended up being a weight day even though Saturday was weights too, so that things work out right for Wednesday...Order here is all out of whack b/c people were using equipment I wanted.
    • Warmup: CC 3x10, alternating knee raises and straight (still no jogging...)
    • Shoulder press: 5 w/10# (in each hand), 3x5 w/12#
    • My modified squat: 4x5 w/30# (total, still focusing on form here b/c I can't do the weight jump up to 70#)
    • Bench press (machine): 5 w/20#, 3x5 w/30# (...I realized that this means I can't even lift an empty bar yet...even if there was one... :P)
    • Lunges: 10 w/24# (total, alternating legs), 2x10 w/30#
    • Single-arm row: 4x5 w/15# (for each arm)
    GTG.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 10:10:28 AM »
    Tuesday:
    Well, this was supposed to be a carbon copy of Friday (except remembering to warm up and cool down better...::)), but the mini-gym was busy, so I replaced the absolute resting periods with 2:00 of low-intensity work. It was one of those things where if I got off the bike, I was pretty sure it wouldn't be available for me to get back on...

And it turns out that it was a good thing I flipped the order Monday and Tuesday. Orchestra started up again, and my arms were burning as it was (a good burn) when we were doing the Pas de Deux (from the Nutcracker - that is seriously one of the most awesome cello parts EVER ;D)...and in more than a few other pieces, too. This is one of my favorite concerts every year, so I'm glad I did weights the day before instead of an hour before. It just makes rehearsal that much more fun. :)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »
    Wednesday:
    Weekly training was canceled due to inclement weather. Boo. I would've gone anyway (40 isn't THAT cold...and it wasn't ACTUALLY raining anymore, things were just wet), but I thought that training by myself at night in a park in the middle of downtown Chicago might be a bit foolish. ::sigh:: I tried to to a little training outside when I got home, but I kept slipping off of stuff, so I eventually headed inside, to the minigym in the rental office.
    • Warmup: A few precisions, primarily on solid ground, a little balancing; CC: 3x10 (alternating knee raises/straight); back isn't quite as messed up, so i decided to give gentle jogging on a treadmill a try: a little less than 1/4 mile, very slow.
    • Bench press (machine): 5 at 30#, 3x5 at 40# (last set was HARD, but complete, perhaps a little shallow)
    • Shoulder press: 5 w/12# (in each hand), 3x5 w/15
    • Single-arm row: 4x5 w/15# (each arm)
    • My modified squat: 4x5 w/30# (total)
    • Lunge: 5 w/24# (total), 3x5 w/30# (total)

Random note: Went to see my doctor about the back. He prescribed me naproxen (which is basically the same as Aleve, an NSAID), and said to tell him if it's not better in another 10 days. Bleh. :-\

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »
    Thursday:
    Rest day. And, ugh, THEY'VE SHUT MY FITNESS ROOM DOWN!!! The new management at my apartment complex has closed the entire rental office building for remodeling, and it won't be open again until after the first of the year.

So I guess I'm going to have to get creative. :(

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: November 15, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »
    Friday:
    GTG...Totally ditched training when my best friend talked me into going out dancing (wasn't exactly a hard sell, since I haven't gone in forever). Unintentional rest day? :-[

Offline Travie the Clown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: November 15, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
    Dance your heart out! :)
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
    Small people always do that,
    But the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. -Mark Twain

"Why Not? Is this not a reasonable place to park?"  our!? :)
    R.I.P Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
      • View Profile
      • Chris Salvato
    « Reply #57 on: November 15, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »
    Friday:
    Unintentional rest day? :-[

I guess that depends on how hard you danced :P

Rest days aren't a waste anyway

Hope you had fun!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: November 15, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »
    Thanks, both! It was fun...although it would've been more fun if there would've been more people actually dancing. :P

Saturday:
    GTG. Now commences the creativity. I decided to get *really* crazy and do the APK warmup:

3 rounds
    • 10 squats
    • 10 pullups (replaced this with my nearest attempt: basically a shoulder shrug at the very bottom of a pullup, since this is the hardest part for me and I need more practice)
    • 10 pushups
    • 5 samson stretches/side
    Then I did the APK WOD from earlier this week: "For 20:00, work the skills that preclude [I think they mean "precede?"] the planche. These would include Handstand holds to slow-lowering (whether against the wall or free-standing), the appropriate Planche Progressions , Pseudo-Planche pushups (pushups with your hands down near or at the level of your hips, hands facing to the side or towards the back) and the handstand press."

This consisted mainly of me losing my balance and repeatedly falling out of a frog stand. It probably would've looked really funny if anyone had been watching... :P My top time is about 4-5 seconds. I'm figuring that these will help me out with handstands when I can get back to them (doc says they're verboten for the time being), and maybe it'll help with pullups too? I'd really feel better if I had been able to find even ONE video or picture of an adult woman doing a planche; maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. These are kind of fun, so I'm thinking about adding them to my regular routine...for a while, at least, if not longer...

Random and Awesome News Flash: Today I snagged a temporary part-time job as a seasonal driver's helper at UPS. So at least after my department closes next week I'll have a job for a month - which is a big relief. And it's a fun job; I did it for a bit right after graduating from college. So that's cool! ;D Now all I have to do is find somewhere that's willing to employ the former editor of a peer-reviewed science journal...as a permanent FULL-time employee...somewhere in or near the Chicagoland area. Yikes...

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
    • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »
    Sunday:
    Apparently this was home improvement day at my parents' house. However, nothing I did really counts as exercise (replaced the legs on the couch, installed a new thermostat, etc.), so this was a rest day. And then I went back to my house and started working on some shelving...you'd almost think I came from the same gene pool or something. :P

Monday:
    GTG. Ran up and down the stairs at work a bunch: 3x4 flights of stairs, once before lunch and once after. I was antsy. Plus I feel like I'm being a slacker now that I don't have gym access. Once I got home:
    • APK warmup, same as Saturday (my pushups need some work, so I'm trying to focus on getting my arms to bend past 90 degrees w/o losing the rest of the form)
    • Frog stand: 5 minutes attempting, falling, attempting...I'll keep this, like I mentioned, but I'm going to start out with 5 minutes, since this stressed my bad shoulder last time more than I'd like (jeez louise, I'm falling apart :-\)
    • 3x5 pistols (well, pistol attempts, anyway) on each leg, standing really close to a door frame so I could grab on if I started falling over; I can't quite bend my knees far enough yet, but I got better in each set, and I was able to keep the other leg relatively high and straight
    • Stretching