Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 95904 times)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »
April 24, 2009:
Sleep: 6.25 hours. (Should've been more, but there was a lovely thunderstorm and I decided to go out walking in it - I needed the walk more than I needed the sleep.)

Went for a short walk after work and practiced some precisions. Working on increasing accuracy at a distance (currently accurate to about 4 feet), and decreasing sound at landing.

Trained at home, b/c I was short on time. Therefore, the squats from this workout were deferred to Saturday morning.
  • Handstand practice: 10 minutes, give or take. Held for 2-3 seconds once or twice...fell on my head once...
  • Front lever precursors: 4x5 K2Es - do my knees actually have to TOUCH my elbows??? Cuz I still can't. Much closer, though!

April 25, 2009:
Sleep: 5 hours. Bad.

• Squats:
    1x5, 55#
    3x5, 90# Felt very solid. Still could go deeper, but I did go past 90 degees every time but one.
  • Cooldown: Some stretching.

Note: Tried fasting, just b/c I'm curious about its effects on performance. At the time of the workout I hadn't eaten for ~17 hours, and it really doesn't seem to have caused any problems (weird, b/c of my normal blood sugar issues). May have to try this again.
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 26, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »
April 26, 2009:
Sleep: 9+ hours.

Short walk with my mom. Trying to help her be more active, and that's the best we can do so far.

Open gym at the gymnastics place tonight!
  • Kongs (45 min): Absolutely fabulous! I've been wanting to work on these for a while now, but I'm being too much of a baby to work them on concrete. Today at the gym, I was nailing them. ;D Technique still isn't quite right (I kind of post a bit with my right arm), but I'm consistently landing upright, on my feet, on the other side of the block now (block is hip height, and ~2 feet wide). Things I need to remember: epiphany from IN jam - dive at things, shoulders down, hips high; focus on hand placement - putting your hands down at the front of the block won't get you over cleanly, but putting them down in the middle or on the far edge might.
  • Handstands (35 min): Pretty darn good. Consistently able to hold for at least a second...until I got tired, anyway, at which point success rates deteriorated. I'm pretty sure that this is a confidence issue - I feel safer in the gym, with padded walls and floor. So then I do better there.
  • Wall climbs (25 min): Used the wall of stacked mats that we build every week. This week, it was about 10-12 inches higher than my head. At the beginning I could run up, plant one foot on the wall, and push high enough to get my shoulders above the top, but then fall back down. Got some serious help tonight from a couple people; can now get the bottom of my rib cage up. Managed to actually climb up on top of the thing once. :) It felt good.

Offline Jeff Martin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 27, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »
hey i just looked at your post training log, im glad that people actually commit like you do!
any way i wanted to know how your mile is know?
im sure it says it somewhere in your log but i dont realy wanna be a creeper and look at all oyur posts
A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

My Training Journal

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »
Jeff - Hey, thanks! Over the winter I focused on goals that can be reached indoors. I actually haven't tested my mile times for a while now...I should do that soon! It's getting warm enough now that I'll probably start working on the mile again before too long. :)

April 27, 2009:
Sleep: 5.5 hours. Terrible for a work night! :-\ Rest day.

Muscle soreness today...probably due in part to lack of sleep/recovery time. Mostly affecting hamstrings, triceps, glutes.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2009, 07:47:51 PM »
April 28, 2009:
Sleep: 7 hours.

Workout was really weird today. I'm trying to figure out why I didn't have blood sugar problems after my 17 hour fast on Saturday, but I did today 5 hours after lunch. :P
  • Warmup: None...unless you count jogging up some stairs... :-[
  • Squats:
    1x5, 55#
    3x5, 95# Got to put on the 25# plates! Yay! ;D Still had my standard issues with form.
Went home, b/c I'm sick of dealing with the unpredictability of the gym's silly assisted pullup machines (and none of their bars are low enough for me to use for negatives). Also, my house has carpet for planche work.
  • Pullup negatives:
    2x3, weighted, 10# in my backpack
    1x3, jumping pullup + negative, BW
  • Planche progression (10 minutes):
    3x10 seconds, arm-assisted tuck planche
    Rest of the time spent trying to get a regular tuck planche; managed to at least slow my descent after picking up my feet. Yeah...still need to tuck harder, and my arms need to get stronger, but at least now my muscles are starting to figure out what they're supposed to do.

EDIT- I forgot: Orchestra rehearsal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:02:00 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline James Go used to be Gjould

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
April 27, 2009:
Muscle soreness today...probably due in part to lack of sleep/recovery time. Mostly affecting hamstrings, triceps, glutes.

Are you still sore?

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »
Yeah, a bit. Using the muscles helped somewhat, though.

Offline James Go used to be Gjould

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2009, 05:34:53 AM »
ok.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2009, 10:50:44 AM »
April 29, 2009:
Sleep: Slightly less than 7 hours. Rest day.

Decided that I need to consistently remember to do both a warmup and a cooldown. I used to use my rolls as a warmup, but that just isn't going to work at the gym (I have no desire to roll into a machine), so I'll just have to figure something else out. I should be stretching more than I am anyway, so maybe I can put together a *focused* stretching routine and use that as my cooldown in the future.

Random note: Left elbow has been hurting since Sunday whenever it's at full extension. It has a pretty big (half-dollar-sized) bruise near that bump where the humerus sticks out, so I suspect that I just hit it on something and didn't notice. Keeping an eye on it just in case, though; I don't remember ever having problems with that joint before!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »
April 30, 2009:
Sleep: 7 hours? I'm too tired to figure it out.

• Warmup: Some super-duper-assisted pullups and dips.
  • K2Es: 4x5; still not quite touching knees to elbows, but a helluva lot closer, now that I've figured out that it's OK to tuck THEN rotate. Towards the end there was a lot more just plain tucking and a lot less rotating.
  • Deadlift:
    1x5, 55#
    3x5, 95#
  • Cooldown (yes, there was one): Stretching. Just maybe 5 minutes or so. Still need to get my act together and figure out a plan to use here. Such a waste to be all warmed up and NOT have a stretching goal...

No handstand stuff. Nowhere to do it at the gym; too tired by the time i got home (4 hours later...).

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 01, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
May 1, 2009: Happy May Day/International Worker's Day
Sleep: 8 hours (unintentionally - thank goodness for my cat, who wanted breakfast!) Rest day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 02, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
May 2, 2009:
Sleep: 9.5 hours. Epic. :)

Gym...
  • Warmup: Jogged up and down the stairs several times. Intentional this time!
  • Squat:
    1x5, 55# Raise this warmup weight next time. It's not high enough to do much good at this point.
    3x5, 100# Woot! And I'm in the triple digits. :D
Went home...
  • Pullup stuff:
    Negatives: 3x4, me + 10# in my backpack. These might work better as 4x3 for the time being; the first 2 in each set were pretty OK, but the last two were always a bit speedier than I'd like. Seem to be stronger near the top of the negative.
  • Planche progression:
    3x10 seconds, arm-assisted tuck planche
    ~4 minutes trying to get an UNassisted tuck planche; called it quits early b/c it seemed to aggravate my bruised elbow
  • Cooldown: FAIL. For pete's sake! I need to remember to do this!!

Oh, and repeated the experiment from last Saturday. 20 hours today. Similar results, but I did notice myself getting crankier than usual towards the end. I may try this again once or twice before making up my mind, but I still do have some reservations. So far I haven't noticed any problems, but I'm a little concerned about the possible effects of combining IF with hypoglycemia. I've been reading up on it a bit, and it seems like there are lots of potentially good effects that are linked to IF, but one of them is "improving insulin sensitivity," which seems like the OPPOSITE of what someone with hypoglycemia (like me) would want to do. However, I've noticed that if I begin while sleeping my blood sugar levels (as observed by me, not measured empirically) seem to level off after a certain point, rather than continuing to spike and dip. This only lasts until I introduce anything new to the system (i.e. food), at which point they go right back to doing what they were doing before. Food for thought...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:14:33 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »
May 3, 2009:
Sleep: 10 hours + 2.5 hour nap. :D

Walk around my parents' neighborhood w/Mom, playing with my new camera.

Gymnastics gym!
  • Combination warmup and precision practice: 30 minutes. A little bit of general balance work, too. Until this point I've been practicing jumping back and forth on what we'll call Balance Beam 1 (BB1), pretty much ground level; and Balance Beam 2 (BB2), which is approximately 3 feet away from BB1 and 1 foot high. Last night, I added Balance Beam 3 (BB3), which is another 4 feet away from BB2 and 3 feet high. I can do it! So far I'm pretty much taking a big step/hop to get from BB2 to BB3, or craning it, but I can do it (passed a BIG mental barrier). :) Jumping down from BB3 to BB2 is another matter completely...but it'll get there.
  • Rings practice: 15 minutes. This was about as long as I could go w/o seriously bruising my forearms on the buckles. Just practiced hopping up and supporting myself with arms straight against my body. Needed a couple mats to step on to get high enough, but once I figured that out I could do it for a count of 10 or so. VERY shaky.
  • Kong practice: 30 minutes. Still stuck doing some odd combination kong/speed vault thing. Hit with two hands, but the right hand lags when it's time to pick them up. I STRONGLY prefer taking off with a two-foot punch, but apparently this is not the preferred method? It may be compromising my horizontal distance, although it helps with the vertical distance.
  • Handstand work: 30 minutes. A couple of 2-3 second holds. Some bridge stuff while talking about the gymnastics approach to learning handstands. Commit!!! And straighten that right leg.
  • Climb-ups (apparently I've been using the wrong word :P): 20 minutes. Ledge 6 inches higher than my head. Successfully climbed on top of the stack of mats a few times. Trick is sustaining and directing momentum even at the top.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #273 on: May 04, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
I'm severely jealous of your sleep schedule.

Rings: Pretty cool that you're working out with them! They will help you build a lot of stability and are a good way to improve your strength fast. In regards to the buckles, I have yet to see rings where you cannot move them up or down on the straps. This seems odd to me. Are these support holds rings turned out or just neutral?

Kong: A double footed block works really well in a gym setting but is not practical outside. A split footed take off allows you to powerfully drive your trail leg high above you which gets you lift in your kong. After your body is extended and the hips are above your head, the knee drive back to your chest creates additional counter-rotation. You will never be able to complete a kong-cat, kong-precision, or anyother complex movement without understanding how to do this.

Handstands: Get in a push up position and walk your feet up the wall until your body is straight and your chest is against the wall. Get your hands as close as possible to wall and hold it for time and reps. This is one of the most effective ways I have seen to not only learn a handstand, but learn one properly and develop the right strength for it.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 05, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »
Rings: Pretty cool that you're working out with them! They will help you build a lot of stability and are a good way to improve your strength fast. In regards to the buckles, I have yet to see rings where you cannot move them up or down on the straps. This seems odd to me. Are these support holds rings turned out or just neutral?
Yeah, these rings are kind of funny. If I'd moved the buckles any farther up, the rings would've been too high for me to use, even with climbing on stacked mats. I think I'm just doing support holds with the rings neutral, if that's when they're parallel to eachother, one on either side of me.

Handstands: Get in a push up position and walk your feet up the wall until your body is straight and your chest is against the wall. Get your hands as close as possible to wall and hold it for time and reps. This is one of the most effective ways I have seen to not only learn a handstand, but learn one properly and develop the right strength for it.
I can hold a handstand with my back to the wall, one heel touching, for 1:30 or so. Is it better to do this facing the wall?

As for the sleep...yeah, I'm jealous of my sleep schedule from this weekend too! :P Normally I can't do that, so this weekend was pretty epic.

May 4, 2009:
Sleep: 6.5 hours. Rest day.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #275 on: May 05, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »
Yes, face the wall. Back against the wall allows you to arch the back (bad) and sag at the shoulder girdle (bad) and also doesn't prepare your forearms well for the stress of holding yourself up in a handstand (bad or not effective).

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #276 on: May 05, 2009, 08:31:22 AM »
You are making great progress, Carolyn! Keep it up!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 05, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
Thank you, both! I'm trying. :)

May 5, 2009: Cinco de Mayo!
Sleep: 7 hours.

Gym
  • Warmup: Some pullups and dips, 100# assist on both.
  • pseudo-K2Es: 3x5...Would've tried another set, but some random dude decided he was going to "help" me by supporting my lower back with his arm. My guess is maybe that I was swinging too much or something, but he didn't explain, and I got all discombobulated after that and cut the last set. :P
  • Deadlift:
    1x5, 65#
    3x5, 100# Felt like my form was improving, but I think it still may be a bit too quad-dominant, since I was getting more of a burn there than in my hamstrings (unusual). Boo. Also, the second set was a little funky, but that's just b/c I grabbed the bar strangely - both hands too far to one side.
  • Cooldown: Stretching.

Gonna go home and do handstands in a bit.

Orchestra: Did a run-through of the Bartok, and the shoulder was OK. A tiny bit of weirdness, but no pain. YES!

Handstands: Just a very little work. It has been a while since I've "walked" up into them, so I worked on that. Note to self: getting out of these is a lot less graceful than when my back is to the wall.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:52:43 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 06, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
May 6, 2009:
Sleep: Somewhere between 6 and 7 hours. (Not good sleep - kept waking up.) Rest day.

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 07, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, or if this is not a good idea...

But, something that I just found out today is that if I'm barefoot or next to barefoot, it's a lot easier to watch form, and, for me, to keep my balance on stuff like squats and overhead press.. IDK if this will help you or not, but I just thought that I would chip in the one little bit of advice I had.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.